The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

OU/Tex officiating

I only saw parts of the second half of the game. The announcers (yeah, I know this is probably enough said right there) were all over the officials for every call, including being particularly rough toward the replay official.

Was there really that much of an issue, or was this just announcers being...well...announcers? From what I saw of the game there were some close calls, but they were pretty much all correct.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Brent Musberger. Need I say more?

Those announcers were blatenly wrong most of the time.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Brent Musberger. Need I say more?

Those announcers were blatenly wrong most of the time.
That was my general impression of what I saw. Just wanted to make sure.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Rank amateur here, and most of the football I watch is the NFL, but unless NCAA rules are very different, the "it's an interception in the end-zone... wait ... how come ... why are they kicking a field goal? ... looks like the ground can cause a fumble in the end zone now ... what a ridiculous call" thing was pretty horrible from the announcers.

Like I said, perhaps the rule is different, but the defender there clearly didn't maintain possession through going to ground - the ball came out as he hit the ground - which would be a clear incomplete pass in the NFL.

I'm only just starting to watch college football, and I am finding myself a little surprised at some of the calls which are not at least reviewed, but the ones they were complaining about seemed fine to me!
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr View Post
Rank amateur here, and most of the football I watch is the NFL, but unless NCAA rules are very different, the "it's an interception in the end-zone... wait ... how come ... why are they kicking a field goal? ... looks like the ground can cause a fumble in the end zone now ... what a ridiculous call" thing was pretty horrible from the announcers.

Like I said, perhaps the rule is different, but the defender there clearly didn't maintain possession through going to ground - the ball came out as he hit the ground - which would be a clear incomplete pass in the NFL.

I'm only just starting to watch college football, and I am finding myself a little surprised at some of the calls which are not at least reviewed, but the ones they were complaining about seemed fine to me!
Every ply is "reviewed". They only stop the game for plays where they need extra time to review.

The announcers have no clue about the rules and don't really care to learn.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Another play they kept barking about was the 1st TD of the game, saying that the runner's knee went down outside the goal line. Problem was that the runner was straddling the goal line with the ball clearly breaking the plane.

Idiots.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:04pm

Somebody needs to start a website which chronicles these things.

www.announcersareidiotsandhereswhy.com
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I think a couple of DBPF set the announcers off early. The late hits were weak (light contact), but they were late.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Somebody needs to start a website which chronicles these things.

www.announcersareidiotsandhereswhy.com
Well, here are two real ones for baseball:

Tim McCarver Sucks

Fire Joe Morgan
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Speculating on my part but I believe the crew that worked the game would be the "number one" crew in the Big 12. I know three of the guys on the crew and all of them are outstanding officials. The LJ officiated in NFL Europe the last season it was around, the U will probably be in the NFL in the next few years and has worked the Big 12 and national championship game, as has the H. All of them are great officials and people as well.

As for the late hits, sure they weren't huge hits but they were hits OOB and need to be called, especially in a rivalry game. The officials need to send a message early that the chippy stuff won't be tolerated. Announcers are idiots, especially when it comes to college football because very few of them really take the time to understand the differences between NCAA and NFL.

As for the incomplete pass, the ground can cause an incomplete pass. NCAA has gone the way of the NFL and requires the receiver to show complete control through the entire action of completing a catch. Sounds like in the play mentioned above that he lost control when the receiver went to the ground, good call to me.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Grant is right. That was an "All-Star" crew for the Big XII.

The play in the end zone is a classic "must survive contact with the ground" situation. Yes the player did "catch" the ball and get both feet to the ground but he couldn't maintain control upon his body's contact with the ground. I would have been surprised to see them give a TD on that play.

One of the personal fouls OOB was a bit more difficult to understand. 12 for Texas was carrying the ball and ran OOB in front of 28 for OU. Now 28 didn't have to touch 12 but he did put a hand on 12's waist and back. 28's actions were to help to stop 12 and hold him up but 12 fell down by what appeared his choice. 28 was flagged for DB PF. That was a tougher one to see made but 28 didn't have to touch 12.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching when the DB intercepted in the end zone then lost the ball when he hit the ground. I don't know what Musberger and Herbstreit were confused about (though their confusion is no surprise) since on one replay you can see a wing on the goal line signaling incomplete as soon as the ball came out. At full speed from the usual sideline camera angle it looked like it might be intercepted but when I saw a replay from a reverse angle I could clearly see it was not caught. Correct call.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 04:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Any thoughts on the Roughing the Kicker call made against Texas? Replays showed that the OU punter did a masterful job of faking that there was contact...no way the Referee could pass on it from the angle that he had.

In NCAA games, do they have evaluators who break down tape of plays like that with them after the game?
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Any thoughts on the Roughing the Kicker call made against Texas? Replays showed that the OU punter did a masterful job of faking that there was contact...no way the Referee could pass on it from the angle that he had.

In NCAA games, do they have evaluators who break down tape of plays like that with them after the game?
Just wanted to correct this and say running into the kicker was called...not roughing.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Just wanted to correct this and say running into the kicker was called...not roughing.

I saw the play and the kicker's leg was still up in the air when he was hit. He may have acted a bit after the play but running into the kicker was appropriate.

As for the late hits, if you let one of those go, you are asking for bigger trouble later.