The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 06:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Frank Gifford stat

Came over from the basketball forum to ask this. I was watching an old rerun of What's My Line on GSN and one of the guests was Frank Gifford. This was from about 1956, I think. Anyway, they mentioned that in the game that was played earlier that day between the Giants and Washington, Gifford scored running the ball in twice, passing for two touchdowns and receiving for a touchdown. Just wondering how many other players might have scored touchdowns those three ways in one pro game? It seemed like quite a feat to me.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Came over from the basketball forum to ask this. I was watching an old rerun of What's My Line on GSN and one of the guests was Frank Gifford. This was from about 1956, I think. Anyway, they mentioned that in the game that was played earlier that day between the Giants and Washington, Gifford scored running the ball in twice, passing for two touchdowns and receiving for a touchdown. Just wondering how many other players might have scored touchdowns those three ways in one pro game? It seemed like quite a feat to me.
Don't know the answer to this but Brad Johnson when he was with the Vikings had a TD throw and a TD catch on the same play.

He threw a pass that was batted back to him. He then caught it and ran the 5 yards for a touchdown.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Well, technically, Gifford didn't score three ways, but he was responsible for touchdowns three different ways.

Gale Sayers had a touchdown reception, four touchdown runs and a punt return TD in his famous 6-TD game of 12/12/1965:

1st quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 80 yard pass from Rudy Bukich (pass failed) 6-0
2nd quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 21 yard rush (Roger LeClerc kick) 20-7
CHI-Gale Sayers 7 yard rush (Roger LeClerc kick) 27-13
3rd quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 50 yard rush (Roger LeClerc kick) 34-13
CHI-Gale Sayers 1 yard rush (run failed) 40-13
4th quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 85 yard punt return (Roger LeClerc kick) 54-20

BTW, this might or might not be the game, but Giff did throw for one touchdown, rush for two and catch one in this 1956 game against the Redskins.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.

Last edited by OverAndBack; Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 12:16pm.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 02:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Well, technically, Gifford didn't score three ways, but he was responsible for touchdowns three different ways.

Gale Sayers had a touchdown reception, four touchdown runs and a punt return TD in his famous 6-TD game of 12/12/1965:

1st quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 80 yard pass from Rudy Bukich (pass failed) 6-0
2nd quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 21 yard rush (Roger LeClerc kick) 20-7
CHI-Gale Sayers 7 yard rush (Roger LeClerc kick) 27-13
3rd quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 50 yard rush (Roger LeClerc kick) 34-13
CHI-Gale Sayers 1 yard rush (run failed) 40-13
4th quarter
CHI-Gale Sayers 85 yard punt return (Roger LeClerc kick) 54-20

BTW, this might or might not be the game, but Giff did throw for one touchdown, rush for two and catch one in this 1956 game against the Redskins.
I'm sure that was the game they referred to on the show. BTW - I remember that performance by Sayers. I grew up in Chicago and was (still am) a huge Bears fan. Also - when Dick Butkus was drafted by Da Bears, his whole family moved up to the south side and his younger sisters (who were twins) went to my HS (Bloom in Chicago Heights). They lived in Glenwood, I think. Butkus had a Harley and tooled around on it while dressed in leather. Believe me - there's nothing more intimidating than Dick Butkus dressed in leather on a Harley!

Thanks for looking that stuff up.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think Frank Gifford still holds the NFL record for facelifts and affairs with flight attendants.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 11:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
I think Frank Gifford still holds the NFL record for facelifts and affairs with flight attendants.
That's only because Joan Rivers and Bill Clinton never played in the NFL.

Although, I heard Bill thought he was marrying a tight end but wound up with a wide receiver.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Just think, Padgett: a whole forum that hasn't heard your "jokes"!
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
I think there was only one flight attendant, though. And Billy Clyde Puckett equalled that on that one road trip in Semi Tough, so that can't be the record.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I am pretty sure LaDainian Tomlinson had a game where he had a TD pass, TD reception and a TD run in the same game. I think in the 2006 season, when he was the cornerstone of my fantasy team.

Edit: It was 2005. Here is the box score.

Last edited by inigo montoya; Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:58am.