The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Answer to those way ahead

When a player from a team that's comfortly ahead late in the game cries about wanting a flag, I just tell them that if I throw a flag I have to stop the clock, and his team is better served with the clock running.

"You want that clock to keep running, right?"

"Yes sir." is the typical conversation.

Obviously that is not a water tight remark, but it's always worked.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Often, it's not what is said, it's how it is said.
Totally agree!!!!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocared View Post
As a player, i was coached not to say a word to the officials, unless I was addressed by them. At first, I was astounded by the talk the players directed to the officials, until I realized they are not coached not to talk to the officials.
I generally try not to raise my voice to the players (I have seen some officials end up looking worse than the offender by having his own tantrum), but let the coach know his player is walking a fine line. When this does not take care of a problem (usually it does), I can throw my flag with no emotion attached, because I have tried to take care of the problem in a professional manner....but man....I have to admit, I hate the lip (just ask my thirteen year old boy).
cheers,
tro

When we were kids we were allowed to say two things to officials, "yes sir" and "no sir."
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
When we were kids we were allowed to say two things to officials, "yes sir" and "no sir."
Wow, your coach had you on a really short leash. We were also allowed to say, "Thank you, sir."
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 06:44am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard View Post
The culture of football (vies a vie attitudes to officials) isn't perfect, but it's miles ahead of hockey for example, and part of the reason they have a much harder time finding and retaining officials. I'll get the odd lip from kids on the field (all 110 yards of it), but coaches are still the bigger problem.

As I tell our newbies, "don't have rabbit ears where you're near the bench, but if it's getting to be too much (i.e: affecting your game), bang 'em!". It's amazing what the flag and the 10 can do to shut up a bench.

After all, we have an unlimited number of flags...and sometimes quietly telling a coach that will bring the peace and quiet you need to do a good job.

Having said that, when I was a player (waaaaaaay back when) it WAS different. I remember getting an OC from Abe Kovnats (famous CFL official of the 50's and 60's) in High School for merely shaking my head about a call he made.....how times have changed!

Thanks...and I'll go back to my rocking chair now..time for "Matlock"!
My hockey officiating friends in Ontario tell me that Bob Dylan is in the house.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 06:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mood Risin View Post
When a player from a team that's comfortly ahead late in the game cries about wanting a flag, I just tell them that if I throw a flag I have to stop the clock, and his team is better served with the clock running.

"You want that clock to keep running, right?"

"Yes sir." is the typical conversation.

Obviously that is not a water tight remark, but it's always worked.
Consider this one stolen!
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 06:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Often, it's not what is said, it's how it is said.
So very true!
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the comments. I was trying to differentiate between the varying arenas in which we find ourselves when officiating, whether it be football, basketball, baseball, wrestling or wherever. This sit. happened on the football field, was towards one end of the field and was loud and somewhat disrespectful. Chances are, it was heard only by the players on the field and maybe the chain crew. If the same question had been asked in the same manner on a basketball floor, I would have whacked him with a technical foul.

Believe me, he got put in his place without needing a flag and I didn't hear from him over the last three minutes of the game in which his team won. If someone politely asks for me to watch for holding, I'll give him the who, what, where, etc to try and deal with it. This was different, I used all the enforcement I needed for that particular moment. It was one of those 'how it was said' moments.

Last edited by buckrog64; Thu Oct 02, 2008 at 03:02pm.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
I was taught not to bring up "what ifs/ possible negatives" in any sports pregame with coaches. Do you really think that "asking for assistance" means anything to a coach who's thinking about the game? Seems like a waste of time and un-needed.....
More times than not the coach is usually the one that asks us first to get him a # of any of his players who start to get out of hand. I also think its a good way to open the doors to communication and it lets the coach know that we are there to communicate with them. Those are his players, not mine, so I don't have any right to vocally discipline them. I can flag them, but I'd much rather the coach prevent that if at all possible.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

My favorite

My favorite is always to say to the head coach: "Coach, No. 54 is getting a little out of hand out there. Do you want to talk to him or would you prefer I just penalize him 15 yards?"

Player gets replaced and gets a butt-chewing on the sideline. 100% of the time. Never fails to solve the problem.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I've got no problem with the concept of involving a coach, or allowing him first crack at disciplining a player who has become lippy, but suggesting officials, "don't have any right to vocally discipline them" goes way too far.

I'm not talking about dressing a player down or lengthy lectures, but the decision what to say, and when to choose a corrective comment over a USC flag is a decision made entirely by the covering official, as he alone decides circumstances dictate.

A player's parents and coach get to decide what constitutes acceptable comments a player makes to them, as the standard as to what is acceptable dialogue directed to an official is set exclusively by that official.

The responsibility for maintaining civility and control of a game rests with officials alone, as do the tactics we decide to employ to accomplish those objectives. Players must respect the authority given to officials as the adult supervisors and monitors of the civility of the game. Especially at the HS level that respect must be maintained as directly and necessary, with as little disruption, as deemed appropriate for each circumstance.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
My favorite is always to say to the head coach: "Coach, No. 54 is getting a little out of hand out there. Do you want to talk to him or would you prefer I just penalize him 15 yards?"

Player gets replaced and gets a butt-chewing on the sideline. 100% of the time. Never fails to solve the problem.
Damn, I should have used that last night. But the lippy players in question were from the other sideline.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post

I agree. It's important that we don't tell the coach that he needs to or should take the kid out of the game though. If we phrase it like that, and the coach takes the player out then any goof up by his sub will be our fault in the coach's mind because we "made" him make a substitution. Refs who say something like "coach, either you take him out or .... " are handling it wrong.