The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Mess at the End of the Half

This happened in my varsity game last friday.

5 seconds left in the second quarter. A1 rolls out for a pass and throws the ball and B1 hits A1 late and drives him to the ground for Roughing the Passer. My Linejudge has throws a flag Intential (sp?) Grounding. I have no idea what happened to the ball after the quaterback threw it because of the roughing. Then I see another flag fly from my Backjudge and a couple seconds later a second from him. Two USC on the same player, B2. B is to kickoff to start the third quarter.

Our enforcement: Roughing and Grounding offset, end of half, two USC assessed on kickoff 15 yards and half the distance to the 12 1/2 for the kickoff to start the third quarter and the player ejected. And suprisingly, once the situation was explained, neither coach was upset.

How did we do?
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Why did your LJ throw the flag? That implies he was watching the QB too. Who was watching his area?
LJ comes to the R with information before flag is dropped.

Spell check!
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
How did we do?
Sounds like you controlled the game. That's good.

But you made a couple of mistakes in your enforcement.

First, although you could still have a personal foul, I don't think you can have a RTP on an illegal pass, which is what Grounding is.

Second, although you should be happy that the LJ helped you out, I think most R's would prefer that the LJ come to them with the info, rather than throwing the flag themselves.

Third, you had 2 live ball penalties that offset. Shouldn't you extend the half? (I'm assuming this was a Federation game, and I'm a bit weak on Fed rules now.) And if you extend, then you enforce those dead ball penalties then.

Fourth, you might want to ask the B about having 2 USC penalties on the same guy on the same play. It's possible, but it's rare.

Again, kudos for controlling the game.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

ejection?? and RTP

Actually the Fed rules don't specify a legal forward pass, just that a pass has been thrown from in or behind the NZ, so you have offsetting fouls and should have a replay of the down..with the enforcements of the unsportsmanlikes, and did the player get ejected???
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I have a problem with any official, other than the Referee assessing an intentional grounding penalty. The wing officials can be helpful in assisting the Referee by advising that there was, was not a receiver in the area, a receiver may have cut one way and the pass went another, a receiver fell down, etc. but the key to judging intentional grounding is the intent of the passer as it relates to the circumstances surrounding his passing. Only th Referee is in a position to make that assessment.

Given the circumstances you were presented with, your enforcement sounds fine.

Had YOU considered the pass intentionally grounded, you may have given the defender a bit more leeay for his original contact with the passer, but "driving hime into the ground" certainly merits a flag regardless.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
Actually the Fed rules don't specify a legal forward pass, just that a pass has been thrown from in or behind the NZ, so you have offsetting fouls and should have a replay of the down..with the enforcements of the unsportsmanlikes, and did the player get ejected???
No, actually if you go to the definition of a passer, I think he needs to have thrown a legal forward pass. (I'm working with an '07 book here, you'll need to check your '08.)

I'm nitpicking here in saying that the OP didn't technically have RTP. Because it sounds like a personal foul was justified anyways.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
This happened in my varsity game last friday.

5 seconds left in the second quarter. A1 rolls out for a pass and throws the ball and B1 hits A1 late and drives him to the ground for Roughing the Passer. My Linejudge has throws a flag Intential (sp?) Grounding. I have no idea what happened to the ball after the quaterback threw it because of the roughing. Then I see another flag fly from my Backjudge and a couple seconds later a second from him. Two USC on the same player, B2. B is to kickoff to start the third quarter.

Our enforcement: Roughing and Grounding offset, end of half, two USC assessed on kickoff 15 yards and half the distance to the 12 1/2 for the kickoff to start the third quarter and the player ejected. And suprisingly, once the situation was explained, neither coach was upset.

How did we do?
Your line judge should have his responsibilities explained to him. IG is *your* flag as the WH and if he felt strongly about it should've come and talked to you about it. Then you would've been able to ask pertinent questions before laundry was on the field.

Two USC on the same player in the same dead ball interval? It's possible, but rare, and I'm not going to pass judgement without knowing what exactly happened. As the WH, I would've been strongly questioning the back judge as to whether that's what really happened, if the ejection was really warranted, etc.

As for the penalty enforcement, I assume you called it RTP but probably wanted to call it a live ball personal foul as a passer only throws legal forward passes. If so, you had a double foul (if you enforced IG) and should've enforced the USC from the succeeding spot and then had an untimed down. A double foul during the last play requires an untimed down in NFHS rules.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

A passer who throws an illegal forward pass does not get roughing the passer protection, as far as I know. Now...that said, of course it could be unnecessary roughness.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.

Last edited by OverAndBack; Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 01:28pm.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

A little help. I'm not seeing where you can't have roughing when you have IG. Rules? Thanks.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
A little help. I'm not seeing where you can't have roughing when you have IG. Rules? Thanks.
2-32-11. By definition, a passer throws a LEGAL forward pass. Intentional grounding is, by definition, an ILLEGAL forward pass.

Roughing the passer talks about protection afforded a passer. By rule, if a player throws an illegal forward pass, he is not a passer.

Personal foul? Sure. RTP? Nope.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

2-32-11:"A passer is a player who throws a legal forward pass."

7-5-2a-e: "The illegal forward passes are: a pass after team possession has changed during the down; a pass from beyond the neutral zone; a pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible offensive receiver; a pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time; and a second or subsequent forward pass thrown during a down."

A player who throws an illegal forward pass is not a passer and is not subject to roughing the passer protection. He can be unnecessarily roughed, though.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I will add that if this is not the intention of the citations that we (myself and OTB) provided, the rules are not written well. There is no case play to cover this particular play, but I think the rules are quite clear.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. My 2005 rules book that I keep at work does not have "legal" in definition of passer. Must have changed since then.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

yep my bad

Yes the rule for a passer mentions legal forward pass, and the rule concerning roughing the passer does indeed refer to a passer, though not the legality of the pass....with that said, the guy that threw the illegal pass, still gets some protection from me. We won't have RTP but the same contact that warrants RTP will be unnecessary roughness in my game. My reasoning is that the thrower of the pass considers themself a passer, and will most likely act like a passer, and the defender will think of him as a passer, and if he hits a player whom he thinks is a passer in a way that would be RTP then he will get a flag from me. Now again with all that said, it would have to be an obvious RTP, if it is a love tap that may or may not be in a normal situation, it won't be here.... now I have to get down off of the fence, all this riding of the fence is giving me splinters in unmetionable places LOL
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
Thanks guys. My 2005 rules book that I keep at work does not have "legal" in definition of passer. Must have changed since then.
I think it changed in 2007, but I'm not sure. I do remember the "legal" being highlighted at some point. I just have Rules by Topic and Simplified & Illustrated with me at work.