The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

NFL PAT Fouls Sunday / Monday

Can someone explain the "leverage" personal foul call in the Min / GB game last night?

Also, I believe in the Dal, Cle game there was an illegal formation on the D called on a PAT. Something about 2 guys over center?
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I think:

- you can't leap into the air using a teammate as leverage - your ability to content the kick has to be on your own accord
- (from a play a few years ago) you also can't leap and land on a teammate
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Can someone explain the "leverage" personal foul call in the Min / GB game last night?

Also, I believe in the Dal, Cle game there was an illegal formation on the D called on a PAT. Something about 2 guys over center?
I was hoping for a replay of the leverage play. From what I gather a defender ran forward and a teammate helped "lift" him up in an attempt block the kick. That is illegal. That's also illegal at the NCAA level.

On the Dal / Cle game. I believe the rule states that you cannot have a player directly in line with the snapper. You have to be in the gap. This is their version of protecting the snapper. NCAA doesn't have that rule, but we do have a rule that protects the snapper from being roughed until 1 second has elapsed when a team is in a scrimmage kick formation.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:27am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
I was hoping for a replay of the leverage play. From what I gather a defender ran forward and a teammate helped "lift" him up in an attempt block the kick. That is illegal. That's also illegal at the NCAA level.

On the Dal / Cle game. I believe the rule states that you cannot have a player directly in line with the snapper. You have to be in the gap. This is their version of protecting the snapper. NCAA doesn't have that rule, but we do have a rule that protects the snapper from being roughed until 1 second has elapsed when a team is in a scrimmage kick formation.
This is true, IIRC. It was also called within the past 2 years, which is when I learned of the rule.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
Calling this a personal foul when its something done to your won teammate sounds weird.

I did find this:

http://www.footballscrimmage.com/nfl...crimmage.shtml

10. It will be illegal for a defensive player to jump or stand on any player, or be picked up by a teammate or to use a hand or hands on a teammate to gain additional height in an attempt to block a kick (Penalty: 15 yards, unsportsmanlike conduct).

So maybe it was just incorrect terminology - should be unsportsman like, not a pers foul?