The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
Although the Ref may have announced this as excessive celebration. This was not a celebration/taunting foul. This was more of an act that delays the game. Since all the push from TV networks to not delay the game, it is easy to see why this is a point of emphasis. You can bet that the majority of colleges have seen this and will likely not commit the same act and all the games will not be delayed by this act again. Here is the rule. You can see that this has nothing to do with taunting or celebration.

2. After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately
must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot.
This prohibits:
(a) Kicking, throwing, spinning or carrying (including off of the
field) the ball any distance that requires an official to retrieve it.
(b) Spiking the ball to the ground [Exception: A forward pass to
conserve time (Rule 7-3-2-d)].
(c) Throwing the ball high into the air.
(d) Any other unsportsmanlike act or actions that delay the game.
Thank You!!! I had tried multiple times to get people in the ESPN forums to realize just that fine nuance to no avail. Regardless of side, they just don't care about the why, only about the who, what and when. If Locker had just tossed it over his shoulder, I doubt any of us would be discussing it.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Pac-10: Officials got unsportsmanlike conduct call against Locker right
ESPN.com news services
Updated: September 8, 2008, 7:03 PM EST

The Pac-10 has decided that the officials got the controversial call near the end of Saturday's BYU-Washington game right.

[+] Enlarge

Mike Tedesco/US Presswire
Jake Locker's celebration after scoring a TD on a 3-yard run with two seconds left drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

"The rule seems pretty cut and dried," Coordinator of football officiating for the Pac-10 Conference Dave Cutaia said, according to the Seattle Times, of Rule 9, Section 2, Article 2c, which states that a player can be penalized for an unsportsmanlike act for "throwing the ball high into the air."
The controversy was the 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Washington quarterback Jake Locker after he scored on a 3-yard run with two seconds left in regulation. Locker flipped the ball over his head into the air and began celebrating with his teammates. The fling drew a flag for excessive celebration.
As it's written, Locker did violate the rule. But the decision to throw the flag in a moment of jubilation provided a muddled conclusion to an exciting game and brought a storm of criticism from college football pundits. The penalty left Washington's Ryan Perkins attempting an extra point from 35 yards. Perkins' kick was low and blocked by BYU's Jan Jorgensen, leaving Washington 0-2 after the 28-27 loss.
"It is a celebration rule that we are required to call," Pac-10 referee Larry Farina said after the game. "It was not a judgment call."
However, David Parry, national coordinator for college football officiating, said Sunday that all calls are judgment calls, although he was in no way critical of the call or the official who made it, since there's no doubt Locker broke the rule.
"I think what he meant is this was so obviously against the rule and flagrant you have no option but to throw a flag," Parry said.
The rules covering sportsmanship and impermissible celebrations were emphasized before this season to college football officials. A video was sent out "stressing major points," Parry said.
But even Parry conceded, "I think it's safe to say on emotional moments officials might become a little more lenient."
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall on Monday reiterated his stance on the call, saying the officials called the play by the rules.
"To say that it was just for granted, that the referee's call decided it -- when he called it correctly -- again it's unfortunate," Mendenhall said.
The penalty tarnished the victory for BYU (2-0), which fell three spots in the AP poll on Sunday. But Mendenall said rules exist for a reason.
"They are to teach principles of class and integrity," Mendenhall said. "Sometimes young men in the heat of the moment get over-exuberant and the rules are in place to try to keep the game intact and hold on to what is most important in the game and that's the team element.
"Again, it's unfortunate that a call is being the focus rather than two teams playing their heart out and going down to the last play that did decide the game."
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang70
Thank You!!! I had tried multiple times to get people in the ESPN forums to realize just that fine nuance to no avail.
Most people in the ESPN forums would lose a chess match to a shiny object.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Most people in the ESPN forums would lose a chess match to a shiny object.
How are those folks any different some officials here who agree with them that it's okay to ignore the rules?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 08:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Regarding gravity: there's no such thing. The earth sucks.
When I was in HS, I was a physics geek. I wrote something called the dark sucker theory in which there is no such thing as light. Rather, there is dark and light is the absense of dark.

Dark is faster than light. When you open a drawer, you do not see the dark escape, but you do see the light enter the drawer. When you enter a room and turn on the light, do you see the dark leave? No. But you do see the light, "light up" the room. In reality, the light bulb is a dark sucker.

Dark is heavier than light. Proof: all the dark settles to the bottom of the ocean. The light, which is lighter than dark, is on top. Ancient scientist and linguists suspected this fact, which is why they called light, "light". They could have also called dark, "heavy".

There are also naturally occuring dark suckers: they're called stars.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Wow. That's heavy.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
When I was in HS, I was a physics geek. I wrote something called the dark sucker theory in which there is no such thing as light. Rather, there is dark and light is the absense of dark.

Dark is faster than light. When you open a drawer, you do not see the dark escape, but you do see the light enter the drawer. When you enter a room and turn on the light, do you see the dark leave? No. But you do see the light, "light up" the room. In reality, the light bulb is a dark sucker.

Dark is heavier than light. Proof: all the dark settles to the bottom of the ocean. The light, which is lighter than dark, is on top. Ancient scientist and linguists suspected this fact, which is why they called light, "light". They could have also called dark, "heavy".

There are also naturally occuring dark suckers: they're called stars.
Not bad at all! You must like Priestly.