The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Question

I would have set the clock at 2.1 seconds.

Ball goes in at 2.6 seconds left, runs down to 2.2. Quick inbound, clock starts and stops (don't remember exactly what was left).

Way I saw it, the inbound to the foul took 0.5 seconds (clock appeared to start right on the touch on the slo-mo - maybe give or take 0.1). Correct the basket first, then subtract the time for the foul gives :02.1.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I would have set the clock at 2.1 seconds.

Ball goes in at 2.6 seconds left, runs down to 2.2. Quick inbound, clock starts and stops (don't remember exactly what was left).

Way I saw it, the inbound to the foul took 0.5 seconds (clock appeared to start right on the touch on the slo-mo - maybe give or take 0.1). Correct the basket first, then subtract the time for the foul gives :02.1.
My question is, what are the rules about re-setting the clock? I assume they're different from HS rules.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

My question is, what are the rules about re-setting the clock? I assume they're different from HS rules.
For NCAA - yup.

They can go to the monitor to correct any timing/scoring mistake at any time during the game. No lag time, either.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:35am
In Memoriam

I thought that they were close. Ball went in at 2.6 but went through at 2.3. Washington was late foulng- about 1.0 on the throw-in was about right. Final result looked OK to me.

'Course I don't have your pedigree, Mark.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

I personally think that's a stupid rule, lag time exists and no one complains during the first 39 minutes, but as soon as were in the last minute lag time is corrected. If they're gonna establish that they aren't going to allow lag time they have to be consistant with it, that's why they should use precision timing, if they aren't going to be consistant, then they shouldn't worry about .1 or .2 of a second in the last minute.

The NCAA should either finance the precision timing devices, or make it a requirment to host the tournament.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I thought that they were close. Ball went in at 2.6 but went through at 2.3. Washington was late foulng- about 1.0 on the throw-in was about right. Final result looked OK to me.

My pedigree? I don't get it.

If it's a dog joke, while I picked Washington to win the game, I'm a fan of the East Coast Huskies.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I personally think that's a stupid rule, lag time exists and no one complains during the first 39 minutes, but as soon as were in the last minute lag time is corrected. If they're gonna establish that they aren't going to allow lag time they have to be consistant with it, that's why they should use precision timing, if they aren't going to be consistant, then they shouldn't worry about .1 or .2 of a second in the last minute.

The NCAA should either finance the precision timing devices, or make it a requirment to host the tournament.
Just to set the record straight - the NCAA (and NF) rule is the same throughout the game. If you can reset, you reset. If you can't reset, you don't reset. As I said before, though, 10 seconds left in a tie game gets a lot more attention than a 15 point game with 7 minutes to go.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:41am
Esteemed Participant

I think you're right, Mark...I had it at 2.0 or 2.1...can't really argue too much with what they did...a little defense by UW would have been nice in the second half, but oh well...and the reason the last minute gets so much more attention, ref18, is that the clock stops on a made basket in the last minuteso there are more opportunities to fix timing mistakes - the crew did everything right...
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
..a little defense by UW would have been nice in the second half, but oh well...
Yea, they definitely lost it themselves. Too bad.

Hey, DJ, do you suppose that Garfield player, Simmons, was at the EWU camp I reffed at a couple years ago? If so, I think he's the biggest player I've reffed. Or is Thalo Green still bigger?
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

My pedigree? I don't get it.

I was talking about your vast experience working at the scoring table. You certainly have to have a better idea about the proper procedures than I do.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Here are the NCAA rules:

2-12.11: Stop the game clock after a successful field goal with 59.9 . . . .

5-9.10: [Clock stops when the an official] recognizes each successful field goal in the last 59.9 . . . .

4-31.1: A goal shall be made when a live ball . . . enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through . . . .

I've always given the benefit of the doubt with the clock in those situations, but never have gotten an official interpretation - do you wait for it to pass all the way through or do you stop as soon as you see that it's in and staying in? Can any of our NCAA guys contact their interpreters on this? If not, I can try e-mailing my league office, but I don't know if they'll respond to me.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was talking about your vast experience working at the scoring table. You certainly have to have a better idea about the proper procedures than I do. [/B][/QUOTE]

I dunno - I'm just saying how I've always done it when on the clock. Might be right, might be wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, Regie Greenwood was working the game. I'll have to ask him if I see him next season.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 01:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Here are the NCAA rules:

4-31.1: A goal shall be made when a live ball . . . enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through . . . .

I've always given the benefit of the doubt with the clock in those situations, but never have gotten an official interpretation - do you wait for it to pass all the way through or do you stop as soon as you see that it's in and staying in?

That's why I made the difference in my post. by rule, a basket is not scored until the top of the ball has cleared the bottom of the net. Iow, the ball has to pass all the way through. The "remains in" wording was put in to cover cases where the ball went through the ring, but stuck in the mesh and wouldn't drop.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Looked like the 2.3 stop was good. The stop at the whistle on the inbound might have been a bit slow watching the official in super slo-mo. Maybe put it back up to 1.5 or 1.6.

Of course, since I picked Washington, maybe I'd want the clock set back to about 25.5 or so...

Where the heck was the Defense in that game?
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Cool I can't understand . . .

why we are discussing NCAA rules and interpretations.

With a score like that, we should be in the NBA rule book.