The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
The point remains that the PAT was blocked, not missed. The distance added due to the penalty was inconsequential and irrelevant to the loss.
That wasn't my point.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
That wasn't my point.
Absolutely understood.....but my point is still the main issue. The call/penalty/cause/effect didn't change the outcome. The blocked PAT did.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 01:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
The distance added due to the penalty was inconsequential and irrelevant to the loss.
That's an entirely inaccurate statement. Changing a kick from 20 yards to 35 yards is most certainly consequential and relevant...it changes the angle of the flight of the ball, etc., etc...did it "cause" the Huskies to lose? Of course not - that's on them. But to say the added distance is irrelevant and inconsequential is completely inaccurate.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a football official, but it seems to me that the game officials applied a rule correctly and without hesitation.

What really irked me was the ESPN talking heads comments about "not calling something like that at that point in the game"

So, if it was called in the middle of the first quarter, it's OK?

The one thing people don't realize is that officials don't make stuff up, we just observe what the players do and judge accordingly.

If it's a violation two seconds into the game, it's a violaton with two seconds left in the game.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rules Committee

REPLY: For those interested...

NCAA Football Rules Committee
Mike Bellotti , Chair
Division I (FBS) - University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403
Term expires 9-1-09*
Rogers Redding, Secretary-Rules Editor
Division I (FBS) – Southeastern Conference
Birmingham, Alabama 35203
Frank Carr
Division III - Earlham College,
Richmond, Indiana 47374
Term expires 9-1-10*
Gil Cloud
Division II - Upper Iowa University
Fayette, Iowa 52142
Term expires 9-1-10*
Randy Edsall
Division I (FBS) - University of Connecticut
Storrs, Connecticut 06269
Term expires 9-1-11*
Chris Hatcher
Division I (FCS) - Georgia Southern University
Statesboro, Georgia 30460
Term expires 9-1-11*
Todd Knight
Division II - Ouachita Baptist University
Arkadelphia, Arkansas 71998
Term expires 9-1-11*
Tony Samuel
Division I (FCS) - Southeast Missouri State University
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701
Term expires 9-1-09
Ron Prince
Division I (FBS) - Kansas State University
Manhattan, Kansas 66502
Term expires 9-1-09*
Rocky Rees
Division II – Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania 17257
Term expires 9-1-10*
Ky Snyder
Division I (FCS) - University of San Diego
San Diego, California 92110
Term expires 9-1-10*

Note: Two Division III representatives were not named in time for inclusion in the rules book.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Unless someone can tell me the background of Redding, all NCAA Committee members are coaches or former coaches. Same applies in other sports committees with the NCAA.

Peace
REPLY: JRutledge...Dr. Redding was not only an outstanding official with several bowl appearances, but he is also a professor of physics.

http://www.footballofficialscamp.com...ing_rogers.htm

So, he can even help us by explaining the physics of projectile motion and why the time to reach apex is the same as the time to fall back to earth. But...his position on the Rules Committee is not as an official but rather as the Secretary-Editor of the NCAA rules.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why is it that high school players can have restraint, but college players (who are older) do not?
Because high school players don't get on Sportscenter.

Usually.

Maturity doesn't always come with increased calendar age. There are a whole mess of other things in the head and body of the college athlete that make him act and react differently than someone of lesser calendar age.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
There is nothing stupider than the old "you can't flag that at this point of the game" comment.
But close is the studio talking heads' saw: "Officials shouldn't decide the game."

Well, we don't decide the game, but thanks for thinking of us.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mood Risin
I agree with what has been said, and Mark May really showed his ignorance tonight.
Players (and former players) are not the best folks to be giving interpretations of rules that they were very likely ignorant of when they played and have given precious little thought to since they got on TV.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR
Announcers blow, period.
That's like saying all officials are homers or blind.

There are good ones and not-so-good ones, just like in any profession.

And I am an announcer, so normally I'd take offense to what you said, but I'm too old to fight about it, so I'll just say you're exaggerating and leave it at that.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Because high school players don't get on Sportscenter.

Usually.

Maturity doesn't always come with increased calendar age. There are a whole mess of other things in the head and body of the college athlete that make him act and react differently than someone of lesser calendar age.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
They do not have to get on SportsCenter, they could just be on local TV or state wide TV during State Final games. TV is really big around here (as you know) just for certain games. A lot of people see those games and since you have left, now there is a big time show that focuses on high school games around the area. Kids watch those shows and they realize they are on TV. They stay very restrained and I have seen many situations where I would think kids would get out of hand or do what they see on TV from the other levels, and I am surprised how few ever get that excited.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
That's an entirely inaccurate statement. Changing a kick from 20 yards to 35 yards is most certainly consequential and relevant...it changes the angle of the flight of the ball, etc., etc...did it "cause" the Huskies to lose? Of course not - that's on them. But to say the added distance is irrelevant and inconsequential is completely inaccurate.
I completely disagree. At those specific distances, it doesn't change anything. They still kick it WAY over the bar. If we we're talking about a 55 yard FG, then yes, they kick it lower to get the extra distance....but PATs and 35 yard FG's are both kicked high because the distance is well within the range of most (if not all) D1 place kickers. He may have kicked it low, but not becasue he needed to.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Sep 08, 2008 at 04:16pm.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Even better video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjgU...eature=related
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They do not have to get on SportsCenter, they could just be on local TV or state wide TV during State Final games. TV is really big around here (as you know) just for certain games. A lot of people see those games and since you have left, now there is a big time show that focuses on high school games around the area. Kids watch those shows and they realize they are on TV. They stay very restrained and I have seen many situations where I would think kids would get out of hand or do what they see on TV from the other levels, and I am surprised how few ever get that excited.

Peace
You don't think that Sportscenter is bigger than Friday Night High School Roundup on Channel 15? I'm just sayin'.

I think some college players think of themselves as justthisclose to being pros (at least they're BMOCs in a much bigger C than a high school player) and that may negate some of the supposed maturity you might expect them to attain as they age.

High school kids who don't play the fool after scoring are usually either good kids to begin with or they're well-coached, or both, it seems to me. Good for anyone who practices restraint or minimizes the showboating, in my book. I don't expect them all to be Barry Sanders, but I'm always pleased by athletes who take the high road.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 05:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You don't think that Sportscenter is bigger than Friday Night High School Roundup on Channel 15? I'm just sayin'.
I did not say it was bigger, but when you are on TV you are not as concerned with the type of stage, you just like the stage. Then again not all of us are on TV for a living either.

Quote:
I think some college players think of themselves as justthisclose to being pros (at least they're BMOCs in a much bigger C than a high school player) and that may negate some of the supposed maturity you might expect them to attain as they age.

High school kids who don't play the fool after scoring are usually either good kids to begin with or they're well-coached, or both, it seems to me. Good for anyone who practices restraint or minimizes the showboating, in my book. I don't expect them all to be Barry Sanders, but I'm always pleased by athletes who take the high road.
I see more Barry Sanders' type celebrations then I see "Ocho Cinco" type celebrations. Now I am sure part of this is the fear their coaches can have on those kids. And in college these are for the most part adults, so they are given some leeway. But the NCAA has taken more measures to curtail specific actions than the NF has ever needed to.

Peace