The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Block

Free kick from the K40 yard line. While ball is in the air, R56 blocks K42 below the waist at R's 30 yard line. R5 then catches the deep kick at the 5 yard line and advances the ball nearly 20 yards to the 24 yard line.
Can K accept the foul for blocking below the waist and re-kick from the 45 yard line?
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands
Free kick from the K40 yard line. While ball is in the air, R56 blocks K42 below the waist at R's 30 yard line. R5 then catches the deep kick at the 5 yard line and advances the ball nearly 20 yards to the 24 yard line.

Can K accept the foul for blocking below the waist and re-kick from the 45 yard line?
CANADIAN RULING:

Block below the waist penalized from the Point of Possession (which is here).

Results: Team B 1D/10 @ B-2½. No option to re-kick.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Are Canada rules the same as US high School in this situation?
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 08:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Are Canada rules the same as US high School in this situation?
Probably not.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm a 1st year, but I'll give it a shot...

PSK foul and based on 10-5-3 the spot is where the PSK ends (or if behind the PSK spot it's a spot foul).

I'm sure that if I'm wrong others will correct me and give you the right answer.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug
I'm a 1st year, but I'll give it a shot...

PSK foul and based on 10-5-3 the spot is where the PSK ends (or if behind the PSK spot it's a spot foul).

I'm sure that if I'm wrong others will correct me and give you the right answer.
Good try and you would be correct if this was a scrimmage kick situation. This is a free kick and we don't have the luxury of marking off penalties against R from the end of the kick. This foul occurred during a loose-ball so let's go from there and see what answer you have now.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
Good try and you would be correct if this was a scrimmage kick situation. This is a free kick and we don't have the luxury of marking off penalties against R from the end of the kick. This foul occurred during a loose-ball so let's go from there and see what answer you have now.
Okay, if I could read it'd be helpful. I somehow missed the "Free" part of the "Free Kick."

So, let's try again...loose ball foul, enforced from previous spot, if accepted, and rekick from K30.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Cdoug..
The foul is on team-R.. If team-K wants to accept and rekick, it will not be from the K30 yard line.
The penalty for a BBW is 15 yards, so team-K would be teeing it up now from the R45 yardline.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

So, the answer to the OP is: yes.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

PAS can be confusing because it's somewhat contradictory. The first thing to remember is that PSK stands for Post Scrimmage Kick, so this exception has nothing to do, nor applies to, Free Kicks.

The basic concept is; The defense has done their job and put the offense into a scrimmage kick situation. By kicking, the offense is essentially giving up their possession of the ball. Before PSK, all fouls committed during the down were loose ball fouls, which call for previous spot enforcement.

The result was that receiving team fouls not only included penalty yardage, but produced giving the ball back to the kicking team, even though the defense had previously "done it's job".

PSK is an exception that says, if the PSK requirements are satisfied the penalty for R fouls will be enforced from the spot where the kick ends, which allows for the change of possession to the receivers. The receivers then have to pay the penalty for whatever PSK fouls they have committed.

If PSK requirements are NOT satisfied, then as before, fouls by either team are loose ball fouls with previous spot enforcement.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Could K accept the foul for blocking below the waist: penalize R half the distance to the goal, 1st and 10 from the 12 yard line?
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Could K accept the foul for blocking below the waist: penalize R half the distance to the goal, 1st and 10 from the 12 yard line?
REPLY: Absolutely not. The foul occurred during a loose ball play (a free kick). The basic spot of enforcement for all fouls during a loose ball play is the previous spot. That's it...period. And since it's a foul by the defense, it will be enforced from the basic spot. There are no other options.