The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I forget where I read this rule and worse forget exactly what it said. I had my first scrimmage today and the teams practiced PAT's / FG's. A kid was hitting the block with this foot and the coach asked if he could kick without a block. I told him I was certain a tee/block was required and would find out. The coach knows me and knows I know the rules pretty well but I had to be honest and said I wasn't 100% sure. I have read this rule a few times in the past and forget exactly where it is. Can anyone cite the rule reference on whether a block is required?

I thought it said something like the ball must be controlled on a kicking tee which would make the play illegal. Or, it could have said "controlled on the ground or a kicking tee." I thought it was the former and told the coach I would find out for him.

I flat out forget this rule and couldn't find it in the rule book after the scrimmage.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

A tee is not required. It can be held by a teammate on the ground. (2-23-4)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 10:53pm
tpaul

I was reading that also. I had a coach ask me does the ball have to be placed on the tee the right way? I could only find as long as it isn't more then two inches off the ground it should be good, right?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Thanks BBR. I thought to myself yesterday..."I swear this is illegal but why would it be." Thinking about it the team gains no advantage without a block so it wouldn't make sense. This is why I read these rules over and over. 76 pages at 8-point font says it all. Can't wait to start studying the college rules...yikes!
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Tees/blocks are not allowed under NCAA rules.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I began kicking off of the ground in 1987. It was my junior year and the block just didn't work for me anymore. It also made my adjustment to college football much easier because they didn't allow the block anymore by then. It was outlawed some time in the middle 80's.

One thing about not kicking from a block, the first time K does it, R thinks it will be a fake because there is no tee and they think you have to have a tee to kick a field goal or try.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle on Trys

Another part of trys. WHo bows the whistle on a try on your crews?

As WH, I have done so at the time of the kick to signal the end of the play. There is no other thing that can happen on this play. I was told that I needed to have BJ blow it when it crosses the bar or appears to be no good. (as stated in off. manual.) What are your thoughts on this, and am I missing something?
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

When I was R I didn't like how long it took for BJ to blow it on obvious kicks, one's that couldn't be blocked anymore. Verbage from R and U can get most things stopped. BJ has the whistle but I say he should blow it as soon as possible.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Whistle on Trys

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach

As WH, I have done so at the time of the kick to signal the end of the play. There is no other thing that can happen on this play. I was told that I needed to have BJ blow it when it crosses the bar or appears to be no good. (as stated in off. manual.) What are your thoughts on this, and am I missing something?
Technically, you have an inadverted whistle if the ball has not crossed the crossbar. If I am a BJ/LJ 40 yards away, I would be thinking there is a dead ball foul at the line and I am killing it also. Now you have a real mess!

What if the ball never makes the goal line? You just gave A another chance!

[Edited by dumbref on Aug 29th, 2005 at 04:42 PM]
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
When I was R I didn't like how long it took for BJ to blow it on obvious kicks, one's that couldn't be blocked anymore. Verbage from R and U can get most things stopped. BJ has the whistle but I say he should blow it as soon as possible.
The only problem I see with this on a try is that it might get him into a bad habit and the quick whistle may burn him/you in a regular FG situation.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Whistle on Trys

Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
Quote:

Technically, you have an inadverted whistle if the ball has not crossed the crossbar. If I am a BJ/LJ 40 yards away, I would be thinking there is a dead ball foul at the line and I am killing it also. Now you have a real mess!

HOw do you have an IW???? I am NOT talking about a FG. THis is a try. There are not many options:
goes through on the kick
blocked - dead immead when blocked by B
a play for 2 pts (obviously no whistle until play ended.)

My question: why allow play to continue when there is NOTHING A or B can do once it is kicked?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
R has whistle on try, BJ has wistle on FG.

This is to avoid the IWs or late whistles, depending on play.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Whistle on Trys

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
Quote:

HOw do you have an IW???? I am NOT talking about a FG. THis is a try. There are not many options:
goes through on the kick
blocked - dead immead when blocked by B
a play for 2 pts (obviously no whistle until play ended.)

My question: why allow play to continue when there is NOTHING A or B can do once it is kicked?
Sorry! original post was talking about PAT's & FG's. I didn't notice you limited your comment to PAT.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
R has whistle on try, BJ has wistle on FG.

This is to avoid the IWs or late whistles, depending on play.
According to the officials manual (NF) BJ has the whistle on trys. Pg 72-73 clearly give the BJ the whistle on trys.

My question is WHY?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Consistency? This way for any scrimmage kick that has BJ under the goal posts he knows that it is his whistle. Doesn't make much sense on the long ones but then the players are pulling crap very often on those anyway. They're more worried about fakes and watching the kick.