The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Blocked Field Goal Beyond the LOS

What happens when a field goal is blocked beyond the line of scrimmage? It's my understanding this is a free ball. If the kicking team recovers and the yardage advanced is sufficient for a first down, it's first down.

Is this right?

If so, is there a signal given by the referrees alerting the players whether the ball "is free" or not?
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I can't imagine a field goal attempt being blocked anywhere beyond the neutral zone that wouldn't put the ball in the end zone. Semantics aside, if the ball is touched by R beyond the neutral zone then K has a right to recover the ball. The touching by R beyond the neutral zone will result in a new series for somebody.

It is not the responsibility of the officials to notify the players of the ball's status.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

How about a 40-yard field goal, and the linebacker jumps high. He doesn't even need to jump high - the kick is low and hits his raised arm. The ball is now rolling at the 20.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelround
How about a 40-yard field goal, and the linebacker jumps high. He doesn't even need to jump high - the kick is low and hits his raised arm. The ball is now rolling at the 20.
Your answer is in my previous reply:

if the ball is touched by R beyond the neutral zone then K has a right to recover the ball. The touching by R beyond the neutral zone will result in a new series for somebody.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Very good - now, my concrete example. Leon Lett is ridiculed for his botched attempt to recover the blocked Dolphin field goal years ago. However, it's hard to tell just where the block took place. The defensive lineman got little penetration, so they're possibly "beyond the neutral zone". The field goal was low, probably due to the snow. The ball then rolled towards the end zone.

To me, it's possibly a live ball. Why the Dolphins didn't jump on it, I don't know. Why the Cowboys didn't either, I don't know! In the absence of an official signaling "live ball" or not, the prudent action would seem to be "recover the ball".
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Your answer is in my previous reply:

if the ball is touched by R beyond the neutral zone then K has a right to recover the ball. The touching by R beyond the neutral zone will result in a new series for somebody.
If it's a low scrimmage kick, touching is ignored in the EXPANDED neutral zone.

So R has 2 yards to deal with, and I'm betting that's where the LB was when he blocked it.

Can't speak to NFL rules, but I bet it's similar, and I know every other person on the field seemed to know what the rule was except Dr. Lett. But I'm a Dolphons fan, so needless to say I laaaaaauuuuuugggghhhheeeedddddd very hard indeed. It still makes me smile to think about it.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Welcome to the forum, michael!

Quote:
What happens when a field goal is blocked beyond the line of scrimmage? It's my understanding this is a free ball. If the kicking team recovers and the yardage advanced is sufficient for a first down, it's first down.

Is this right?

If so, is there a signal given by the referees alerting the players whether the ball "is free" or not?
CANADIAN RULING:

FGA blocked beyond the LS is a live ball. Team A can still throw a forward pass. If A recovers, they do still need to gain yards for a 1D.

CANADIAN MECHANIC:

No.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Scrimmage kicks

NFHS-It may be easier to to view punts/field goals etc, as scrimmage kicks in general. As noted before, low scrimmage kicks are ignored if touched by R beyond the expanded neutral zone. Just my $.o2
tro
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

No No, the touching is ignored if in or behind the expanded NZ, not beyond it.

I'm sure you know that, just mistyped.

Also, the NZ is never expanded into the EZ.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS:

The expanded neutral zone may be expanded following the snap to a maximum of two yards beyond the defensive line of scrimmage in the field of play.

This applies on scrimmage kicks and forward passes, but has no relevance on running plays.

And as mentioned above the neutral zone is never expanded into the End Zone.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwbam
Under NFHS:

The expanded neutral zone may be expanded following the snap to a maximum of two yards beyond the defensive line of scrimmage in the field of play.

This applies on scrimmage kicks and forward passes, but has no relevance on running plays.

And as mentioned above the neutral zone is never expanded into the End Zone.
What difference would that last bit make in Fed anyway, as long as they keep it that the kick is dead on entering the end zone?

AFAIK, only in Canadian football is there a technical understanding to "blocked" as applied to a kick, as opposed to merely being touched. In USAn ball, it doesn't matter how or with what effect either team touches a scrimmage kick. A kick could be stuffed, deflected, or whatever, and it'd be the same as if it'd been rolling on the ground and touched.

There was an implicit understanding of "blocked" as applied to return kicks, but now that all the major USAn codes have outlawed the return kick and even kicks from scrimmage plays where the ball is beyond the neutral zone, that doesn't matter any more.

In rugby there's also a need to distinguish a kick as having been "charged down" as opposed to merely touched.

Robert
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm having trouble finding "expanded neutral zone" in the rule book. Under "Scrimmage Kick", rule 9, section 1, article 6, the "note" reads "When the kickers recover a legal kick from scrimmage after it has been first touched by the receiving team beyond the line, etc." Article 7 goes on to describe the situation when the ball is touched "in the immediate vicinity of the neutral zone", and the ball goes beyond the line, etc.

The former simply talks about "beyond the line"; the latter "in the immediate vicinity of the neutral zone" (without defining this).

But I can find no reference anywhere to "expanded neutral zone". Can you help?
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm having trouble finding "expanded neutral zone" in the rule book. Under "Scrimmage Kick", rule 9, section 1, article 6, the "note" reads "When the kickers recover a legal kick from scrimmage after it has been first touched by the receiving team beyond the line, etc." Article 7 goes on to describe the situation when the ball is touched "in the immediate vicinity of the neutral zone", and the ball goes beyond the line, etc.

The former simply talks about "beyond the line"; the latter "in the immediate vicinity of the neutral zone" (without defining this).

But I can find no reference anywhere to "expanded neutral zone". Can you help?
ALWAYS look at Rule 2. Nothing else works without the definitions. 2.28.2 "The neutral zone may be expanded following the snap up to a maximum of 2 yards behind the defensive line of scrimmage, in the field of play, during any scrimmage down."
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
ALWAYS look at Rule 2.
I bet he did, but was looking under "e" for "expanded".