The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Question A watch for the 40/25?

What do some of you use for a watch that will work for the 40/25. I am wanting to get one and would like some input.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
What do some of you use for a watch that will work for the 40/25. I am wanting to get one and would like some input.
Can't you get the Ready Ref people to reprogram their box to do that? I know you can ask them to program it with either 20 and 5 for the NFHS 25 second clock and the 15 and 10 for the old NCAA 25 second clock. It seems they could also do 25 and 15 for the 40/25 as well as any other intervals between there. They could probably also put the 25 in one direction on the switch and 40 on the other direction and just ignore the 60 for time outs. It might be worth getting in touch with them to find out.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Been wanting one too. I think a person who introduces one could make some money from football officials ... especially this year.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

it's my understanding that Ready-Ref already sells a "pro" version that handles the 40/25 second timing.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 11:05pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
it's my understanding that Ready-Ref already sells a "pro" version that handles the 40/25 second timing.
You are correct. Model #1120

http://www.ready-ref.com/football_timer.html
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

I actually contacted Ready Ref yesterday with a proposal. A new model has just come out. Model #1127.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:16am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears
I actually contacted Ready Ref yesterday with a proposal. A new model has just come out. Model #1127.
Ok. Please, continue...
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Their profit margins are HUGE!
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Their profit margins are HUGE!
I would agree. Their market is pretty small but it does seem to be a big profit margin. And they can come up with a new model by just changing a little bit of software code. It probably took them all of 5 minutes to change the code for this new model.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Ok. Please, continue...

My Email:

I have a suggestion because of the college rule change regarding the play clock this year. Is it possible to change the device so that pressing the rocker switch in one direction sets the 25 second countdown and pressing the rocker switch in the other direction set the 40 second countdown. I am guessing that in the absence of any new mechanics direction, that both setting should give a warning vibration at 10 seconds.

It would be nice if the device had some DIP switch settings that would allow users to specify when to vibrate but I realize this could add complexity or cost.

I really don't care about timing the timeouts with the system because I can carry a wrist watch and being distracted with timing isn't as big of a deal during timeouts. But if people want to continue to use the device for time outs, would it be possible to add a third button that sets the timeout timer?

Reply from Ready Ref
Mike,

We have the new NCAA Ready Ref Model #1127 that does what you describe with pre-warnings at 5 seconds for $69.00.

Best Regards,
Joe Grimm
800-223-5395
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 10:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
I would agree. Their market is pretty small but it does seem to be a big profit margin. And they can come up with a new model by just changing a little bit of software code. It probably took them all of 5 minutes to change the code for this new model.
I kind of wish I knew more about PLCs. I would create my own device with a USB port where one could change the settings on their own. And better yet, have 2 dip switches that represent 4 configurations. That should be enough for everyone!
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

It seems that the current Ready Ref's size is mostly driven by the size of the battery, 9V. With new battery technology I would think that a smaller, more optioned unit could be built quite easily. It could have multiple push-button switches instead of one rocker switch to time different intervals. All of the components minus the battery would probably run about $10 or $15. However the housing would have a cost of about $20,000 up front to build the mold. That is why these cost $69 and not $39.

Being the mechanical engineer who does design similar types of housings I have the software and resources to do this. And the electrical engineers I work with could easily build this circuit and program it. But even then I don't think I want to try it.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears
My Email:

I have a suggestion because of the college rule change regarding the play clock this year. Is it possible to change the device so that pressing the rocker switch in one direction sets the 25 second countdown and pressing the rocker switch in the other direction set the 40 second countdown. I am guessing that in the absence of any new mechanics direction, that both setting should give a warning vibration at 10 seconds.

It would be nice if the device had some DIP switch settings that would allow users to specify when to vibrate but I realize this could add complexity or cost.

I really don't care about timing the timeouts with the system because I can carry a wrist watch and being distracted with timing isn't as big of a deal during timeouts. But if people want to continue to use the device for time outs, would it be possible to add a third button that sets the timeout timer?

Reply from Ready Ref
Mike,

We have the new NCAA Ready Ref Model #1127 that does what you describe with pre-warnings at 5 seconds for $69.00.

Best Regards,
Joe Grimm
800-223-5395

Mike, it also needs a 19 sec notification so you'd know if you need to reset it to 25 seconds in the event you don't have the ball ready.