The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Free Kick after a Fair Catch

In the April '08 issue of Referee Magazine there is a case play pertaining to a free kick after a fair catch. While I agree this is legal in NFHS rules, Ref Mag further states that "the kicker must kick the ball off the ground or off a "block"". They refer to rules 1-3-4, 2-24-3, 2-24-7, 6-1-1d. I cannot find anything in those rules or any related case plays that supports their assertion regarding what type of tee R must use. Any thoughts about where I can find clarification on this?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

It's no different than any other free kick. Any legal tee can be used or a holder can hold the ball to the ground.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ray Wershing of 49ers did this in mid-80s [Yes, Bill Walsh=genius, or maybe the ONLY coach to ever read the rules.]. Just before end of 2nd quarter, opponents are deep in own territory and decide to punt. Niners FC it. Line up for a FK. 3 points!!
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Note that while the Federation and the NFL offers this option after a fair catch, the NCAA does not. In NCAA, the play following a fair catch must be a scrimmage down.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Bob - I understand that this is allowed in NFHS but not in NCAA. My qusestion is in reference to the point made by Ref Magazine that if R chooses to free kick (high school), then R MUST use the ground or a block. I do not believe that R is restricted to just these two tee options but that they may also use a regular kicking tee. Am I correct in this?
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Somebody at Referee was again making an assumption. BBR had your answer. The rule book does not define a block as opposed to a kick-off tee. We only have the rule of a tee. And a free-kick after a fair catch may be kicked from a tee or held in a fixed position on the ground.

Get a legal tee of any type, get a holder or not, or hold it on the ground, they all work for me.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

In the NFL or NAFL, a Fair Catch Kick cannot use a tee.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: In Fed and NCAA rules, a tee is a tee. There is no distinction made between the block or the tee which holds the ball upright. After a fair catch, a free kick may be attempted. Rule 6-1 deals with all of the requirements for a free kick. A tee which holds the ball upright is most definitely allowed for this play.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

What are the mechanics for a 5 man crew when an awarded FC free kick is being kicked? Is Referee and Linesman under the uprights and the Umpire at the goal line?
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

From 2008 Official's Manual starting on page 53.

R and U take the goal posts with U having the cross bar. All other officials use the same mechanics as a kick-off.

Just guessing here but I would put L on the goal line to determine if the kick reached the end zone or not on shorter kicks. For longer kicks R or U should be able to move up if the goal line is in question.