The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

One point of emphasis we got at a clinic with NFL officials was to slow it down on getting the ball in. Avoid long throws that get can get away from people because, aside from looking really sloppy, it ends up taking more time than bringing the ball closer before tossing it in would.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
When should the ready for play be blown. Does it vary on the game situation or if a team is running a hurry uo offense the whole game or if a team is behind in the last two minutes? I would like to hear your thoughts.
CANADIAN MECHANIC:

Quick version...

The RFP is blown in when the R determines that the last offensive substitute has reached the huddle. The play clock is 20 seconds. If in the R's judgment teams are abusing the RFP time, the R may start the play clock before all substitutes reach the huddle.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
CANADIAN MECHANIC:

Quick version...

The RFP is blown in when the R determines that the last offensive substitute has reached the huddle.
When did the criterion become A's reaching the huddle rather than both teams' subs entering the field?
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 12:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
When did the criterion become A's reaching the huddle rather than both teams' subs entering the field?
That's why I said "quick version". In practice, it's rare that B has a sub that is later than A. I know Rs at the higher levels do a quick check for B subs. If all game B subs quickly, I can see how some Rs will be caught off-guard if B has a slow sub.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
That's why I said "quick version". In practice, it's rare that B has a sub that is later than A. I know Rs at the higher levels do a quick check for B subs. If all game B subs quickly, I can see how some Rs will be caught off-guard if B has a slow sub.
Know this maybe a Canadian thing but why should subs determine when to ready the ball?

NFHS in its 1997 rule change basically chastised Rs for delaying the ready late in the game following a change of possession to allow for subs then changed the rule to always start the clock on the snap to assure consistency.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 01:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
Know this maybe a Canadian thing but why should subs determine when to ready the ball?

NFHS in its 1997 rule change basically chastised Rs for delaying the ready late in the game following a change of possession to allow for subs then changed the rule to always start the clock on the snap to assure consistency.
For some plays, the NFL starts the 40-second play clock at the end of the previous play. The Cdn way is to not time how long it takes players to get back to their huddle. When a Cdn R is happy that a normal amount of time was given for players to return to their huddle, and for the new play to "get to the huddle," the RFP is given. When the NFL starts their 25-second play clock, it is akin to our 20-second play clock.

Our timing rules after the 3-minute warning (3MW) are geared towards exciting play. After the 3MW, and on COPs, we start on the snap. (Along with 6 other ways that end a play.)

It is consistent, but I agree not the most consistent.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

The Michigan High School Athlethic Assoc. is going with there own football mechanics. At a rules meeting monday night the passed out a manual that states the ready for play should be blown 13-17 seconds after the end of the prior play and when a team is trying to run the time off the clock it schould be blown at 14 seconds.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Ed. Subs have no bearing on when I determine that the ball is ready. When the ball is spotted and my crew is in position, then I announce, "Ball is ready," and I chop and blow my whistle.

If the team wants to use up time with late subs, that is their problem.