The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

25 second clock

Can someone please show me where the referee has the 25 second and the back judge has the game clock if the game clock goes out?
I've looked everywhere and I know I've read this before.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 03:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Under what mechanics set? How many officials on the field?

Peace
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

In my association, for high school games (5-man), the referee handles the 25 second clock and the LJ has the game clock in the event of an issue with the scoreboard.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Federation mechanics call for the BJ to have all timing responsibilities in a five-man game though I really don't think it's feasible for him to control both the game clock and the play clock. Might be OK if the scoreboard clock is working, but if not...
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I swear the NFHS made that change about 2 or 3 years ago but, I can't find it anywhere.
On our crew (5 Man) if the game clock goes out the back judge has the game clock and the referee has the 25 second clock.

I would love to know where to look up this change if anyone can find it. Of course on the other side of that coin I could have just flat been dreaming the whole thing.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babrown
Can someone please show me where the referee has the 25 second and the back judge has the game clock if the game clock goes out?
I've looked everywhere and I know I've read this before.
Page 13 of 2006-2007 Official's Manual:
Back Judge: When there is no field clock, time game.

Interestingly, there is no mention of R keeping the 25-sec. clock. They can't expect BJ to do both, right?

Our crew has BJ keep 25-sec clock, and LJ keeps official game clock. I wonder (If this was a change from previous years) if what we do is the old mechanic.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 12:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I think the LJ should time the game. That way, when (s)he goes to the NFL, they'll have that mechanic down pat.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I think the LJ should time the game. That way, when (s)he goes to the NFL, they'll have that mechanic down pat.
It's kind of unfair if the LJ times the game. The team on the LJ sideline can always get a quick answer on the time left, but it would be much harder to keep the opposite sideline posted. I think it's better for the BJ to do since he's in the middle plus that's what the manual says.

Since R's do the 25 second clock in 4 man mechanics, it seems natural for them to take this on if the BJ is timing the game.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't that long ago the U administered the 25 sec. rule. But there were no visible play clocks then.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 03:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Wasn't that long ago the U administered the 25 sec. rule. But there were no visible play clocks then.
There still aren't in most of Northern California.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon guys, a little common sense. Does it really matter who does what, as long as what needs to be done gets done? It sounds like about a 10 second discussion about who does what, that could easily be handled during the pregame, or in a quick on field meeting if the game clock goes out during the game.

When there's no field clock, traditionally the BJ keeps the game clock (4 man it's the LJ), and the Referee keeps track of the play clock. What's the problem?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 07:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
It's kind of unfair if the LJ times the game. The team on the LJ sideline can always get a quick answer on the time left, but it would be much harder to keep the opposite sideline posted. I think it's better for the BJ to do since he's in the middle plus that's what the manual says.

Since R's do the 25 second clock in 4 man mechanics, it seems natural for them to take this on if the BJ is timing the game.
I guess you're not accustomed to my sense of humour. I should have included a smiley.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc
C'mon guys, a little common sense. Does it really matter who does what, as long as what needs to be done gets done? It sounds like about a 10 second discussion about who does what, that could easily be handled during the pregame, or in a quick on field meeting if the game clock goes out during the game.

When there's no field clock, traditionally the BJ keeps the game clock (4 man it's the LJ), and the Referee keeps track of the play clock. What's the problem?
This makes sense to me.

This is our first year with 5 officials -- yeah, a little behind the times -- and I am thinking as the R I will continue to keep the 25 second clock and have the BJ keep the game clock. We don't have visible 25 second clocks yet.

Interested in what others do?
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

But if an official is keeping the 25 second clock on the field then he is required to also give a visible signal so that the offense can see when there is less than 5 seconds left on the clock. How would R give this signal so that the QB can see it. BJ always keeps the 25 second clock if he is on the field. I know some will argue that R keeps it in 4-man and we don't give a signal there but I think 5-man has become common enough for varsity that we need to assume that in the varsity game there will be a BJ and that we need to allow the QB to see when the clock is running out.

I know we run the 25 second clock on the field as a thing not to abuse and not a strict line in the sand. There is more leeway given in non-varsity games if teams don't abuse things. However at times when seconds are critical then we move back toward the line in the sand and stop things at 25.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 10:04am

If I'm the R, and I want to the QB to snap the ball, I just tell him so.

If the huddle doesn't look like it's going to be broken soon, "10 seconds" usuall ends the huddle soon.

"5 seconds QB" puts the QB in his cadence right then and there.