The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

My question is if there is 0.3 tenths on the clock can a player shoot the ball. I got into a discussion about this, we each thought that we were right. Would love to know the correct answer. Thanks, oh by the way this was during a high school game.

Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

0.3 seconds or less, the ball must be tapped.

0.4 seconds or more, you can catch and shoot.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 05:07pm
M.A.S.H.

5-2-2

No only a tap could score.

When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a seconds or less remains on the clock, no field goal may be scored if the ball is caught before the try for goal. In this situation a tap could score.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

As soon as you see the ball caught, blow the whistle. Sell the "No Shot, No Shot". Just in case he launches one which goes in. Don't rely on the clock operator at all. He may be slow on the trigger and the shot may get off before the horn.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

The correct answer is yes, he can shoot.

He can't CATCH and shoot. He can tap, which last I checked, is a shot.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

That is, IF the scoreboard shows tenths of a second. This rule actually originated in the pros (where all the scoreboards display tenths) - known as the "Trent Tucker" rule so named when the Knicks guard won a game by catching and shooting with .3 seconds left on the clock.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
As soon as you see the ball caught, blow the whistle. Sell the "No Shot, No Shot". Just in case he launches one which goes in. Don't rely on the clock operator at all. He may be slow on the trigger and the shot may get off before the horn.
Zebra,

I think I know what you mean, but he could still get fouled, couldn't he?

Mulk
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

What exactly is the definition of a catch??? For example, if a player has possession of the ball in the air with two hands and then shoots the ball, is this defined as a catch??? If the player has possession of the ball in the air with one hand and then shoots the ball, is this defined as a catch??? If a player catches the ball in the air with one or two hands and spins around and then shoots, is this legal??? I'd like to get a better clarification of what "catch" means in that particular rule.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
That is, IF the scoreboard shows tenths of a second. This rule actually originated in the pros (where all the scoreboards display tenths) - known as the "Trent Tucker" rule so named when the Knicks guard won a game by catching and shooting with .3 seconds left on the clock.
How would you know there were .3 seconds left if the clock did not show tenths?
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by manhong
What exactly is the definition of a catch??? For example, if a player has possession of the ball in the air with two hands and then shoots the ball, is this defined as a catch??? If the player has possession of the ball in the air with one hand and then shoots the ball, is this defined as a catch??? If a player catches the ball in the air with one or two hands and spins around and then shoots, is this legal??? I'd like to get a better clarification of what "catch" means in that particular rule.
The criteria used is did the ball come to rest in the shooter's hand(s). If it did---> catch. Catch = player control. Judgement call.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, there was only .1 seconds on the clock. Tucker caught the ball and shot a 3 before the horn sounded, agift from the timer at MSG.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Quote:
You wouldn't. That's why the rule doesn't apply to clocks that don't display tenths.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
The only thing that I have been taught differently is not to blow the whistle. Even if he catches the ball there is still the possibility for a foul or some other oddity. Also "no shot" should be reserved for if there is actually a shot. That at least is how I was taught.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Quote:
You wouldn't. That's why the rule doesn't apply to clocks that don't display tenths.
Generally, yes, but on some clocks, the scoreboard displays only whole seconds, but the console displays tenths.

I know I asked about it as a hypothetical a few years back. Apparently a similar situation happened in an NCAAW game this year with the shot clock.

Quote:
NOTE: During the State Farm Tip-Off Classic at the University of Texas, at the 9:05 minute mark of the half, an official was told by the shot clock operator that there was only .3 second on the shot clock, yet the visible shot clock indicated 1 second. The official was instructed to tell the in-bounding team that they could tip or tap the ball, but could not catch and shoot it. Even though the facility had the capability of viewing tenths of a second at the table, the officials should not be given this information, nor should the team have been told their options. Current rules do not refer to “tenths of a second on the shot clock”, only that the game clock indicates tenths of a second.
I'm guessing the underlined part applies to the game clock as well.