The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Need a clock

I help with a small church league. This year we've started using a second building for some of our leagues. The second building has no scoreboard or game clock. We're looking for some kind of relatively inexpensive clock. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be big enough that people can see how much time is left. Oh, and it's a pretty small gym.

Any suggestions?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

You could have your officials wear a clock on a chain Flavor Flav style. I'd give an actual suggestion if I had one, but that's about all I could come up with.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Use a volunteer with a stop watch. In a small gym he/she can yell out the remaining time.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:03pm
PYRef

I was at middle school game recently that didn't have an AP arrow on the scoreboard or the scorer's table. Instead, they used a small orange traffic cone and tipped it over one way or the other to indicate possession. That was unique.

As far as the clock goes, the stopwatch is probably the cheapest idea. You might want to check and see if there is a local Moose Lodge, Elks, Rotary Club or other civic organization that might purchase one for the league. I believe these groups are required to spend x number of dollars each year for community type things.

This one below is under $600. Something worth pursuing.
http://www.hitrunscore.com/sk2222-vp...coreboard.html

Last edited by PYRef; Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 02:11pm.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I think calling on the local Rotary, Elks, etc is a great idea. Make a plea, and promise the program chairman you'll bring a couple of kids to a meeting after the season is over, so they can tell the group all about the fun they had playing. I was in Rotary. We were always looking for ways to help the community, and programs.

Here is a link to a company that makes tabletop scoreboards, and they are only about $550.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry:

http://www.esportsonline.com/?sitemi...rc=SH_MCSB2222
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar need a few years ago for a Rec. league and I was very surprised at how expensive "simple" scoreboards were (considering how little you can pay for a laptop computer and monitor).

At first, I just spent $25 for a very small tabletop timer that only the scorer could see and bought the "flip numbers" that everyone could see. When I got complaints, I bought a very good portable Daktronics scoreboard from a local supplier....but it was $960. He convinced me not to buy the $600 models because of how they are built. I was able to get three groups to split the cost, so for $320 each, everyone was happy.

One source for the timer only:
http://www.bodytronics.com/page/body.../Timers/CC5022

The cheap flip numbers:
http://www.morleyathletic.com/equipm...le-scorers.htm
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

This is the Daktronic that I bought.

The cheapest clock I could find is the MacGregor Count Up/Down Clock for $220:

It is only a timer, and it has the controls on top, which make it difficult to use.

I found it here: http://www.esportsonline.com/?sitemi...roogle_1126631