The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Electronic Rulebook

Being that Athletic Rules Study is gone does anyone know of another electronic source for the NFHS Rules Book?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Join the NFHS and you get access to the online rules book.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

And if you are motivated enough and bored enough you can take a few hours, like I did, and transfer all of the text out of the write/copy/print protected pdf on the NFHS website into a Word document. I have the entire Rule Book in Word minus all the illustrations. PM me. It is only 403KB. The pdf on their website is searchable and that is a great thing. Just type in any word and it will list every place it is used in the entire Rule Book.

Now I just wish they would straighten out the issue with the Case Book as I can't open that file though the Rule Book is easy to open. If anyone else can open both tell me but I think they have something messed up on their website.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
And if you are motivated enough and bored enough you can take a few hours, like I did, and transfer all of the text out of the write/copy/print protected pdf on the NFHS website into a Word document. I have the entire Rule Book in Word minus all the illustrations. PM me. It is only 403KB. The pdf on their website is searchable and that is a great thing. Just type in any word and it will list every place it is used in the entire Rule Book.

Now I just wish they would straighten out the issue with the Case Book as I can't open that file though the Rule Book is easy to open. If anyone else can open both tell me but I think they have something messed up on their website.
I got an "Access Denied" trying to access the Case Book. That is a problem with their site.

Too bad NFHS could not continue to do business with ARS as that was a good study tool.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 09:06pm
Chain of Fools

Ed...?

Are you a NFHS member? Its $30 to join and you've got to be a member to access online rules.

Last edited by HLin NC; Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 09:07pm. Reason: typo
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker

Warren,
Now that the online books are in PDF format, you can save them to your computer, but I think you already know that. There really is no need for them to be in word any more. Or am I missing something?
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

You would be right except someone there was thinking and didn't want the books to be widely distributed without purchasing. They are write/print/copy protected. As long as they have that protection on you can't save them or even print them. The text is selectable and that is about the only thing the password protection allows.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

If that is the case you could still make it a pdf after putting it into Word.
After creating the Word document, print it to a pdf using a pdf writer like Cutepdf. Then you should be able to search it using Adobe Acrobat.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Ed-
I got the same message. I can access the rule book but not the case book. Odd.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

I didn't have a problem saving the rulebook pdf to my computer but I did get the message about access denied on the casebook.

When I clicked on the rulebook link it asked me if I wanted to open the file or save it and I saved it without a hitch.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT
I didn't have a problem saving the rulebook pdf to my computer but I did get the message about access denied on the casebook.

When I clicked on the rulebook link it asked me if I wanted to open the file or save it and I saved it without a hitch.
NFHS wants us to buy paper copies, therefore, we cannot alter or even print the electronic rule book unlike the NCAA book. NFHS could have done a better job in preparing the PDF like adding tabs, bookmarks, etc. Anybody can create a PDF from some electronic copy. They spent more time securing the book rather than making it useful.

Since they put ARS out of business they could at least developed something better.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

I have never been able to get this pdf saved though others said they could. Instead of opening the file and then trying to save it I finally right-clicked on the link and then, depending on the program you are using, did Save Link As or Save Target As and it wrote the pdf to a file that I was able to save and open. The file is still password protected but at least I have a copy of it now.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I found a freeware program that will let you print out a locked pdf file.

Google Brava Reader.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

The Case Book is on-line now.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
if anyone has saved the case book, can you please email it to me? i am still unable to get it, i did download the rules book. also, are you able to cut and paste from the rules and case book? my email address is [email protected]

thank you very much