The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

How does it work??

I'm currently a basketball official, but I'm going to be adding football to my resume come fall. I want to know how it all works. In Basketball the officials are interchangeable... In football from what I understand its a bit different.. You have a Back Judge, A line Judge, A referee,... and so on... so.. do you learn all of them, or just one to start??..

How does it work??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

You better learn something about all of them so you know the role of your partners and what you have to do. You never know when you are going to be put in any of those positions at any time (even the Referee) so you better learn all of them to some extent. And it will help you in the long run as an official.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

When you are on a regular crew, you will have one position. This is good for the crew because you can specialize in that area.

It usually takes time, sometimes years to get on a regular crew that does varsity games. Prior to that time you will be doing subvarsity games and do several different positions. This is not a bad idea in that you can learn a lot.

I would suggest trying to hook up with a crew and let them help you. My crew "adopted" a rookie this year and he went to our games and was there for pre-game, half-time and post-game talks. I believe this was the best training for him instead of trying to learn it on his own. Because of some crew changes next fall, he will be joining our crew as a regular. I feel good about this because he has learned our way of doing things.

Whenever you work a certain position, try to be an expert in that area. Know the rules and mechanics. Read rule 2 and get "Reddings" study guide. The foundation of every good official is a sound knowledge of the rules.

Work as many games as you can and talk to other officials. Stay connected in forums like this and the NFHS forum. Even as an experienced official, I learn a lot here.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my list of things for new guys who ask.

Buy the Redding Study Guide https://thatsitideas.com/doublesdist...onlineform.htm cuz it is awesome. Read it, highlight it, and work as many games as you can.

Go to a clinic or two if you can and any on field stuff at a clinic is a bonus.

This board, the NF board, http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...?ubb=forum;f=9, and The Official Forum, http://forum.officiating.com/forumdi...id=4&daysprune, are great sites that focuses on NF FB. You can learn from reading, looking in the rulebook for answers, posting, and asking your own questions.

A mentor is a great way to go if you have someone who is good and will work with you. Talk to him about things as often as he will let you, via email or phone.

Start watching games and thinking of what the signals and enforcements for fouls that you see happen are before the official comes on and does the signal and enforces the penalty.

HAVE FUN AND NEVER STOP LEARNING OR STUDYING!!! GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD!!

Grant's site has a ton of good stuff. http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/football.htm
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

In our association, we try to get guys ready to work either wing position in their first few weeks. Of all the games assigned, there will be at least 2 wing positions, and there usually is at least one experienced official to work the R in 3 man games. A lot of guys like to use the scrimmages to learn the umpire position where they might work in their high school games, when we have 4 or 5 man crews. Then, you learn the R and/or BJ positions at your own discretion by working them when available -- usually after your first year. In my case, I took to the R pretty quickly and liked it. This year (my third) I did more R than anything else in all my games -- jr. high through varsity.

When I work JV games with 4 other guys and the positions aren't assigned, there is usually a "discussion" about the R and BJ positions. Whoever wants to work the HL or U almost always gets it without discussion.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

In most states officials must join an association. The associations work differently as far as assigning games to individuals or crews. The association usually has a training committee or training person. Consult with them to find out what positions you might be most suited for, or what positions are most in need of new bodies. Any vacancies from injuries or retirments will need to be filler first. Newer officials may or may not work high school games right away. Youth legues is where you have ample opportunity to learn different positions.

Your physical ability will be a determining factor also. For example, if you are able to run well, the L or B may be a better fit for you.

Be prepared to work every position. The good thing is there is only one set of rules to learn for all positions. The hard part is responsibilties, mechanics and keys are different at different positions.

Find a mentor in your new association who can help you along the way. Constant discussion online or in person with other officials will help you tremendously if you apply what you learn.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Something previously said, learn all positions, its important just like in basketball so the L can know what the T is looking at etc...But then really focus on the HL and LJ first, because every game has at least 1 or 2 of those, and I've only known one experienced official who demanded to work HL so if you ask for it it'll be yours. Don't let a crew throw you at BJ because you are a rookie, you cannot learn much back there until you really know the other positions but you can get yourself in a lot of trouble. A good crew chief would not throw you at BJ until you're ready. That is just my 2 cents.