View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

When you are on a regular crew, you will have one position. This is good for the crew because you can specialize in that area.

It usually takes time, sometimes years to get on a regular crew that does varsity games. Prior to that time you will be doing subvarsity games and do several different positions. This is not a bad idea in that you can learn a lot.

I would suggest trying to hook up with a crew and let them help you. My crew "adopted" a rookie this year and he went to our games and was there for pre-game, half-time and post-game talks. I believe this was the best training for him instead of trying to learn it on his own. Because of some crew changes next fall, he will be joining our crew as a regular. I feel good about this because he has learned our way of doing things.

Whenever you work a certain position, try to be an expert in that area. Know the rules and mechanics. Read rule 2 and get "Reddings" study guide. The foundation of every good official is a sound knowledge of the rules.

Work as many games as you can and talk to other officials. Stay connected in forums like this and the NFHS forum. Even as an experienced official, I learn a lot here.