The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

[OK, I guess I feel obligated to say something. First "game of this magnitude..." This part of the quote somehow implies that this game was more important than their other games, NE's other games, and, for that matter, most of the other games in the NFL. The truth is, in the regular season, they are all of the same level of importance (which is not all that high of a level considering all the other bigger issues of the world...). In a football sense it also implies that they should call a 'big game' differently than they would call a hypthetical Dolphins/49ers game, which is something we don't do.

Also, the call was there (on the 4th down play). The NFL has placed big emphasis on receivers taking contact down field. The officials enforced it. I can imagine if that call was made on 2/7 on NE's 20 in the first quarter we would not hear about it, yet we all know that if it is a foul in the first quarter it is a foul at the end of the game.

As for throwing the official's flag into the stands, it was juvenile, silly, showed no lack of control, and that player should be embarassed for the immature behavior in front of so many people who were there and watched on TV.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
I heard the Ravens announcer complaining about not overturning the last Patriots touchdown. I thought that one was a no-brainer to let stand. He was adamant the ball was incomplete.
I hate homers.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Is any coach permitted to call a TO in NFL, or just the head coach? If only the HC, then this TO was granted incorrectly.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick KY
Is any coach permitted to call a TO in NFL, or just the head coach? If only the HC, then this TO was granted incorrectly.
Technically, only the head coach can call the TO, but it wasn't granted incorrectly either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter King

New England ball, fourth-and-1, Baltimore 30, 1:48 left, Baltimore up 24-20. At the last second before the snap, Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan calls timeout. The play went on, with Baltimore stuffing Tom Brady for a loss and, theoretically, that should have been New England's last gasp. One problem. Only the head coach is supposed to be able to call time on the sidelines. But in this case, the league has interpreted the rule on a last-millisecond timeout call that the side official cannot be responsible for seeing whether it's the head coach or another coach who calls time. So it's technically legal for Ryan to have called the timeout, and the league's point is the head coach is responsible for controlling his bench. In this case, Brian Billick has to be responsible for his sideline, and when Ryan calls time, the burden is on Billick to accept the call because it happened on the Baltimore sideline.
Link

Last edited by refbuz; Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 03:57pm.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I agree. Does the NFL not require an ejection for receiving 2 USC penalties?

(FWIW - when I heard about the incident, my first reaction was shock that it happened in a game where I wasn't officiating. )
There is no NFL rule requiring ejection for two USC fouls.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 06:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnref
There is no NFL rule requiring ejection for two USC fouls.
There's nothing stopping the WH from tossing this buffoon, either.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
There's nothing stopping the WH from tossing this buffoon, either.
Refs toss very few "buffoons" in the NFL.