The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

First of all I admit I'm a Missouri fan so...

I thought the Big 12 crew did an OK job. They missed a big huge hold at the point of attack on OU's first TD. The U was looking right at it, but let it go. They also missed a tackller leading with this helmet on a defensless receiver. And, of course, Coach Stubbs felt free to roam as far on the field as he wanted.

None of the calls probably changed the course of the game probably but the crew looked like they were reluctant to call anything because this was a conference championship on prime time TV. I think often officials in this type of game error in letting too much stuff go in the interest of "letting them play".
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Stoops (and his staff) is always on the field and usually recieves more sideline warnings than probably any other coach in America. He may be part woman, as much as he b!+che$.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I was also rooting for Mizzou, but I will say the officials were excellent. The R will be working on Sundays very soon I think. He was cool and calm. I also think the crew did a great job with the extracurriculars. Mizzou players got frustrated.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap
I think the SideJudge had a tough day. The problem is he called back a touchdown and a crucial first down on ticy tack holding calls (trying to be politicy correct), then let an obvious defensive holding go. All were calls involving the same receiver, so I'm not sure if he had an issue with that wide receiver. But the series of calls made him look pretty bad. Other than that I thought they did a pretty good job.
You are referring to the Big East crew not the Big 12 crew correct?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump
You are referring to the Big East crew not the Big 12 crew correct?
Correct, this topic is kind of fragmented.

Last edited by Trap; Mon Dec 03, 2007 at 12:55pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:06pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Some of the guys are on other crews. I know for sure the U and the H aren't on his regular season crew.

Also, if he worked with a Hochuli in Europe, it was probably Ed's son, I think his name is Shawn.
I don't know about Shawn Hochuli, but I know an NFL white hat was Clete's white hat in Europe. Maybe it wasn't Ed? I wish I could find that article.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I don't know about Shawn Hochuli, but I know an NFL white hat was Clete's white hat in Europe. Maybe it wasn't Ed? I wish I could find that article.
It is possible.

Here's an article I found on Shawn: http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...ers-footsteps/
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 05:58pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I'm still racking my brains over who the white hat was that sent Clete the rulebook and mechanics book, etc, before he went over to Europe.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct, this topic is kind of fragmented.
They also had some phantom PF/UC's on pitt in addition to those weak hold calls. The crew in general, especially that side judge, had a rough night. Good thing the wrong team didn't win because those hold calls came at very critical points in the game.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
They also had some phantom PF/UC's on pitt in addition to those weak hold calls. The crew in general, especially that side judge, had a rough night. Good thing the wrong team didn't win because those hold calls came at very critical points in the game.
Where were the blockers hands? Yup, they were clearly outside.

Please explain to me exactly how those were "weak calls."

No offense, but you sound like the announcers.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the SideJudge had a tough day. The problem is he called back a touchdown and a crucial first down on ticy tack holding calls (trying to be politicy correct), then let an obvious defensive holding go. All were calls involving the same receiver, so I'm not sure if he had an issue with that wide receiver. But the series of calls made him look pretty bad. Other than that I thought they did a pretty good job.
Yes both calls were by SJ, both were holding calls, both against the same Pitt player, and both 'brought back' very important plays. Now I'm not a consipirace theorist and I am not buying into theories by a few media members, but the calls were not good at all (to try and use a mild language). I was flipping between games, and otherwise, when I watched this one, the officiating seemed fine....