The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

This is my first year officiating HS VB. In our area - Columbus, GA - JV and Varsity games are generally officated with 1 referee, except for state playoffs. Over the last 3 weeks I have worked hard to prepare for calling my first match (JV) on my own (last night) - know the rules, worked several matches with a second experienced official, watched numerous JV/Varsity matches to get to know the game, etc. Still it is a lot to cover for 1 official. My question is whether 1 man crews are the norm in your area, whether they were at one time and if so how you went about convincing the schools to go to a 2 man crew. Luckily for me, I have officiated basketball for the last 8 years so I brought certain skills to the table - strong whistle, crisp mechanics, decisiveness, game management skills, etc. This, hard work and a GREAT mentoring official (if I had a dedicated guy like this in basketball I would have advanced a lot sooner) has gotten me to the state where I feel comfortable on the platform. It is an awesome responsibility however for 1 offical. Thoughts?
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
I won't speak for the rest of the country, but...

One man crew? Straight out of the stone ages...

In other words, to say it's definitely not the norm. I've done it when partners haven't shown up, but matches here are always scheduled with 2.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Nope. Have only seen this in the smallest of small schools. I don't even want to think about it! Yuk!
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

JV and freshman games are sometimes worked with one official, especially when we do splits - JV and freshman games scheduled simultaneously on adjacent courts \.

State rules though say all varsity matches must be worked by two officials "except in emergency situations".

I can't imagine working a varsity match with only one official.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 10:56pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
We have one official for Freshman matches but for JV and Varsity, the only time we have one official is when our partner fails to show up. (I am not counting the tournaments where we have a player working as our umpire).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

I believe my wife's team plays a tournament in Illinois every year and they only use one ref.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Ohio rules

In Ohio the HSAA states that schools shall use:
* 9th - 1 class 1 or class 2 official
* JV - 2 officials either class 1 or class 2
* Varsity - two officials, the Referee shall be a class 1 and the Umpire may be class 1 or class 2.
With freshman, I have found that one official is not too bad. Also many school systems here use two officials for freshman, even though they are not mandated. The only way Varsity and JV matches are conducted with one official is bcause one official did not show up AND both coaches agree to use the existing offcial. One note here is that a class 2 CANNOT be the Referee in a Varsity match if he is the only official there. He ( she ) risks a sanction and discipline by the State HSAA for doing so. The match must be postponed or another official may try to be reached.
When doing a match alone, I have not used a line-up card to track substitutions and only call alignment violations if they are obvious enough for me to pick up very quick. However, I spoke with a veteran about this a week ago and she uses a line-up card on the ladder to be sure substitutions are done correctly AND to watch for alignment violations. God bless her! I just don't feel like I can do that yet ( 3 year rookie ) and still allow the game to move and flow quickly. I would feel like I am slowing the game down too much. I am probably wrong for this, but see no way ( yet ) to do this smoothly.
I could NEVER have done the Varsity match last night alone. I would have missed so much just because of the pace of the game.
To answer one more of your questions, Ohio has used two officials for JV & Varsity for as long as I have watched/officiated volleyball - which is 6 years. So I cannot tell you how it was lobbied to get two officials at the contests.
Good Luck!
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

In Arizona, all HS matches (FR, JV, V) are scheduled with two officials. Normally, two officals work all three matches back to back to back. There are some in-season tournaments that use only one official for the preliminary round games. That's up to the school hosting the tournament.

Most of the Jr High stuff is done with only one official until playoff time.

I've been doing VB here for about 15 years and it's always been this way for that time.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vb Scrub
I believe my wife's team plays a tournament in Illinois every year and they only use one ref.
__________________________________________________ _________
Vb,
Where in Illinois? And what level? RR
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 12:14pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Tony,

I started officiating volleyball in Ohio in 1983 and we were mandated by the OHSAA to have two officials for JV and Varsity contests and at least one for freshman and JH matches.

When I started, many of the schools used two officials for JH matches because that was where we trained our newer officials. By the time I left Ohio for California in 1993, JH was being officiated by one official most of the time because there were not enough to cover all of the JV and Varsity matches as well as the JH matches (I lived in rural NW Ohio and I never saw a freshman match during the 10 seasons I refereed there.).

[Edited by MCBear on Sep 9th, 2005 at 04:17 PM]
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:
Originally posted by Vb Scrub
__________________________________________________ _________
Vb,
Where in Illinois? And what level? RR
They play in Quincy. Its a H.S varsity tournament.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quincy Notre Dame or Quincy High? I'd have never guessed that they're using one official in schools that size.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I believe its Quincy High. I have gone with her a couple of times and its not pretty with one official. One official would actually count out the number of hits on her fingers as the ball was being contacted on each side. You know how BB refs will count out 10 seconds by swinging their arms out when the ball is being brought up the court. She would do this for every hit during the match.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. A new mechanic that I pray is never adopted!
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

In most Wisconsin schools, two certified officials are usually assigned for Frosh, JV and Varsity. I say usually, because I have worked in some conferences where the Frosh game is only done with one. This is not the norm.

2 officials are assigned to work both the JV and Varsity games. Another pair of officials work the Frosh game similaneously with the other set as they work the JV game. The Frosh crew, after their match, move up to work the lines for the Varsity contest. These officials receive an extra $10 or $15 for serving as line judges. It makes for a better officiaed game at the varsity level due to experienced VB people on the lines.

[Edited by imaref on Sep 12th, 2005 at 03:38 PM]