The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 08:44am
In Memoriam

Completed pass?

This is from a high school game in Marquette, MI. On the link, click on the video on the bottom labeled "November 17 High School Football Playoffs".

http://www.wluctv6.com/Sports/sports....aspx?id=67228

Check out the passing play that starts at around the 5:06 mark on the video. The pass was called complete.

Comments?
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Catch???

Ouch
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 10:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Although the video is small and not all that clear, I have an incomplete pass.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the TV guy, "they called that a catch? You've got to be kidding me!" Even the reaction of the player is telling you he didn't catch it. I'd be getting a few officials together to discuss that one. Sure doesn't look like a catch to me.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Catch???

WOW!! Not a good call from the footage that I saw. The player even said it all.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Well, maybe it looked like a catch? After all, you only need to possess the ball in the end zone for it to be a catch and immediately become dead.

Maybe the camera was operating in slow motion and in real motion the receiver had control of the ball long enough.

In reality, the call really looks bad.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to dst8ada
Final crew

Hope this crew is not doing the state finals this week end.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Looks like some of the fans at this game were not happy either:

Police referee sporting event incidents

BY SHERI McWHIRTER
[email protected]

GAYLORD -- Police managed to keep the peace at two youth sporting events in Gaylord amid unruly fans and parents.

Michigan State Police Trooper Ken Polhemus was called to a high school football playoff game Saturday and a youth hockey game on Sunday. Both calls involved infuriated parents screaming at game officials, coaches, players or other parents, he said. No arrests were made at either sporting event.

"They need to remember it's a game and these are kids," Polhemus said. "They should let the kids play. It's not the Super Bowl. They're not playing for the Stanley Cup."

Marine City High School is headed to the state championship on Friday after beating Kingsford High School on Saturday at Gaylord High School. Kingsford fans weren't pleased with the result.

Tempers flared among spectators when referees called a Marine City touchdown that Kingsford fans disputed. That score put the game out of reach for Kingsford.

Police were called for fear the referees might be assaulted in the parking lot. "We were just there to make sure the refs got off the field without incident," Polhemus said.

Gaylord City Police and an Otsego County sheriff's deputy also responded to the high school.

Al Unger, Kingsford athletic director, said the game was held at a neutral site and he "can't imagine any of our fans would physically threaten the referees."

Kingsford head football coach Chris Hofer said Marine City scored on a pass the "kid never caught."

"My team handled it good," Hofer said. "They just went on and kept playing the game. I have no idea what our fans did."
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I don't think I would have called this a catch. MHSAA assigns individuals to semi-finals and finals so I believe that none of these 5 will be working this weekeng at Ford Field.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
"They need to remember it's a game and these are kids," Polhemus said. "They should let the kids play. It's not the Super Bowl. They're not playing for the Stanley Cup."
I have found that "let the kids play" is one of the biggest cop-outs ever from coaches and parents.

They mean "let the kids play unless you call something that may tend to hurt my kid's team's chances of winning."

They want us to let them play, but if we don't call something, they'll yell at us that we're blind or ruining the game or how unfair it all is.

Parents and coaches, by and large, suck.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to dst8ada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-MI
I don't think I would have called this a catch. MHSAA assigns individuals to semi-finals and finals so I believe that none of these 5 will be working this weekeng at Ford Field.
The final crew also works a semi final. It gives them a chance to know each other before the final game. It has been that way in Michigan since the early 90's.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

dst8ada

I'm not sure that is the case but I wouldn't know since I can't even get a first round game.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 11:16am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
I have found that "let the kids play" is one of the biggest cop-outs ever from coaches and parents.

They mean "let the kids play unless you call something that may tend to hurt my kid's team's chances of winning."

They want us to let them play, but if we don't call something, they'll yell at us that we're blind or ruining the game or how unfair it all is.

Parents and coaches, by and large, suck.
I agree with what you're saying but I think that quote is from the MSP Trooper and he is talking about the parents.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Oh, well, then. That's very different. Never mind.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

That is correct. He is clearly talking about the "fans"

One thing that jumped out at me in this story is that it sounds like they did not normally have police presence at a game. Is that common in other states? I don't think I ever saw a game in Texas that did not have visible law enforcement presence.