The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I simply would like to know if it is 1 foot or 2 for NFHS. Do I also make the determination that the receiver would have came down in bounds without the force of the defensive player?
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Only one foot. And yes if you determine that the receiver would have come down in-bounds with the ball had he not been contacted by defense, it is ruled a catch.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you..............
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Something else to keep in mind as far as catch vs no catch is direction of force from defender. If the direction of the force by the defender is in the same direction the receiver is headed, then you have no catch.

For instance, a receiver is headed towards the sidelines, possesses the ball while in the air and his momentum is headed towards the sidelines. B pushes him from in the back causing him to land out of bounds. This is not a catch. The casebook has the following play which supports this.

Situation 7.5.2L: A pass from A1 is thrown near the intersection of the sideline and the goal line. A2, running toward the goal line, leaps and possesses the pass at the 3-yard line and is forcibly: (a) contacted from the front by B1 so that A2 contacts the ground out of bounds opposite B’s 4-yard line; or (b) contacted from the side by B1 and A2 first contacts the ground out of bounds opposite the 3-yard line; or (c) tackled from behind by B1 so that first contact with the ground by A2 is out of bounds 1 yard beyond the goal line; or (d) tackled from behind by B1 so that A2 first contacts the ground in the end zone.

Ruling: Completed pass in both (a) and (b). In (a) and (b), the contact by B1 changed the direction of A2 and he is given forward progress. It is an incomplete pass in (c), but touchdown in (d). In (c) and (d), the added force in the general direction the player was moving, is not considered a factor affecting his spot of landing. Therefore, when A2 landed out of bounds in (c), the pass was incomplete. Landing in B’s end zone in (d) results in a touchdown. (2-15-1, 2; 8-2-1)
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Talking

Not two feet. And actually it's not one foot. It's ANY part of the body....

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!