The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Completed pass? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/39779-completed-pass.html)

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 22, 2007 08:44am

Completed pass?

This is from a high school game in Marquette, MI. On the link, click on the video on the bottom labeled "November 17 High School Football Playoffs".

http://www.wluctv6.com/Sports/sports....aspx?id=67228

Check out the passing play that starts at around the 5:06 mark on the video. The pass was called complete.

Comments?

radwaste50 Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:20am

Catch???

Ouch

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:30am

Although the video is small and not all that clear, I have an incomplete pass.

MJT Thu Nov 22, 2007 02:17pm

I agree with the TV guy, "they called that a catch? You've got to be kidding me!" Even the reaction of the player is telling you he didn't catch it. I'd be getting a few officials together to discuss that one. Sure doesn't look like a catch to me.

dcmendoza22 Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:41pm

Catch???

WOW!!:eek: Not a good call from the footage that I saw. The player even said it all.

Ed Hickland Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:00am

Well, maybe it looked like a catch? After all, you only need to possess the ball in the end zone for it to be a catch and immediately become dead.

Maybe the camera was operating in slow motion and in real motion the receiver had control of the ball long enough.

In reality, the call really looks bad.

dst8ada Fri Nov 23, 2007 07:10am

Final crew

Hope this crew is not doing the state finals this week end.

TXMike Fri Nov 23, 2007 08:24am

Looks like some of the fans at this game were not happy either:

Police referee sporting event incidents

BY SHERI McWHIRTER
[email protected]

GAYLORD -- Police managed to keep the peace at two youth sporting events in Gaylord amid unruly fans and parents.

Michigan State Police Trooper Ken Polhemus was called to a high school football playoff game Saturday and a youth hockey game on Sunday. Both calls involved infuriated parents screaming at game officials, coaches, players or other parents, he said. No arrests were made at either sporting event.

"They need to remember it's a game and these are kids," Polhemus said. "They should let the kids play. It's not the Super Bowl. They're not playing for the Stanley Cup."

Marine City High School is headed to the state championship on Friday after beating Kingsford High School on Saturday at Gaylord High School. Kingsford fans weren't pleased with the result.

Tempers flared among spectators when referees called a Marine City touchdown that Kingsford fans disputed. That score put the game out of reach for Kingsford.

Police were called for fear the referees might be assaulted in the parking lot. "We were just there to make sure the refs got off the field without incident," Polhemus said.

Gaylord City Police and an Otsego County sheriff's deputy also responded to the high school.

Al Unger, Kingsford athletic director, said the game was held at a neutral site and he "can't imagine any of our fans would physically threaten the referees."

Kingsford head football coach Chris Hofer said Marine City scored on a pass the "kid never caught."

"My team handled it good," Hofer said. "They just went on and kept playing the game. I have no idea what our fans did."

Matt-MI Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:09am

I don't think I would have called this a catch. MHSAA assigns individuals to semi-finals and finals so I believe that none of these 5 will be working this weekeng at Ford Field.

OverAndBack Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike
"They need to remember it's a game and these are kids," Polhemus said. "They should let the kids play. It's not the Super Bowl. They're not playing for the Stanley Cup."

I have found that "let the kids play" is one of the biggest cop-outs ever from coaches and parents.

They mean "let the kids play unless you call something that may tend to hurt my kid's team's chances of winning."

They want us to let them play, but if we don't call something, they'll yell at us that we're blind or ruining the game or how unfair it all is.

Parents and coaches, by and large, suck.

dst8ada Fri Nov 23, 2007 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt-MI
I don't think I would have called this a catch. MHSAA assigns individuals to semi-finals and finals so I believe that none of these 5 will be working this weekeng at Ford Field.

The final crew also works a semi final. It gives them a chance to know each other before the final game. It has been that way in Michigan since the early 90's.

Matt-MI Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:52am

dst8ada

I'm not sure that is the case but I wouldn't know since I can't even get a first round game.

Welpe Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverAndBack
I have found that "let the kids play" is one of the biggest cop-outs ever from coaches and parents.

They mean "let the kids play unless you call something that may tend to hurt my kid's team's chances of winning."

They want us to let them play, but if we don't call something, they'll yell at us that we're blind or ruining the game or how unfair it all is.

Parents and coaches, by and large, suck.

I agree with what you're saying but I think that quote is from the MSP Trooper and he is talking about the parents.

OverAndBack Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:23am

http://img.snlarc.jt.org/arc/char/Gi...%20Litella.jpg

Oh, well, then. That's very different. Never mind.

TXMike Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:23am

That is correct. He is clearly talking about the "fans"

One thing that jumped out at me in this story is that it sounds like they did not normally have police presence at a game. Is that common in other states? I don't think I ever saw a game in Texas that did not have visible law enforcement presence.