The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:55am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Sideline control

I'll be honest, my sidleine control leaves something to be desired. What are some things that I can do to better control my sideline? It seems to me everytie I tell the coachess that I need them back they want to either argue or think I am picking on them. I usually tell them that if they give me a yard we'll be fine. I tell them that they can only have 3 coaches in the box and they have 5+, I tell the players to get back behind the line that if they are on the line they aren't behind it. And coaches complain that I need to pay attention to the game. I try to tell them that I can't pay attention to the game if I am constantly worried about getting injured because they happen to be in my way when I turn to go upfield or back to cove a sack or TFL. Any advice is greatly appreciated...
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

This isn't by the rulebook, but it's what works for me. I don't say anything until I bump into somebody on the sideline because I find they don't listen anyway. When I bump into them I have their attention and usually their apology. I then tell them that's their 1st and only warning. I tell them where I need to operate and do my job and then I tell them if I bump into them again or they are in my line of sight on the field or sideline its a flag. On obvious pass plays and punts I warn them to give me some room and that usually works.

They feel I'm working with them rather than just a sideline enforcer looking to throw a flag, and that makes my job easier. Like I said, probably not by the book, but I haven't had to throw a flag yet
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Find out what coach is in charge of his sideline. Talk to him before the game and let him know that it's easier to do your job if he does his. Try not to start out in a confrontational mode. Ask for his help.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 09:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In my neck of the woods, if the play is at the other end of the field, the coaches are permitted to be a yard or 2 on the field. When the play is close, we expect that they will be away from the sideline to allow the official room to move. I remind them of this agreement/compromise and they always back away.

I also will remind them that I like to work out of bounds, that way the athletes feel that they have full use of the field, and that an official is not in their way.

If it needs to be, I'm not afraid to tell the coaching staff that "they're not permitted to be there", pointing to the area I want clear.

If I ever run into someone, our mechanics tell us that it's a flag.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

When I am on a wing I start early, before the game. Find the get-back coach, as someone already mentioned. When I come over on the first kick-off I do not turn and give my ready until everybody is where they are supposed to be. Next time someone is not where they are supposed to be, I go straight to the head coach and I ask him to help keep his team where they are supposed to be. After that I go to the book. Sideline warning, 5 yarder, 15 yarder. I've only once had a 5 yarder and never a 15 yarder. The 5 yarder came in a game when the coach could care less about the sideline and was often on the field. The WH ended up giving him 2 USCs in the game and he was gone by the 4th quarter.

Interestingly enough last year I filled in most of the season on a crew who had an injury at LJ. Their WH had an interesting philosophy. Whenever there were too many coaches in the box, or players in coaches box, or coaches on the field he would just charge them a timeout. He said to the coach on my sideline once, "I assumed you wanted a timeout because you were on the field." I do not agree with his practice, but it worked.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:36am
I Bleed Crimson

This is a great thread. I've been graded down by state evaluators for "marginal sideline control" but I have never experienced a problem. A lot of it is in the eye of the beholder. Some think a toe over the line is "marginal sideline control" while others think it is not dealing with a sideline problem appropriately. I'm in the latter camp.

In my pregame, I talk with the head coach and find a "get-back" coach. I remind the get-back coach that there are to only be 3 coaches in the box and indicate it is a point of emphasis with our association. Before every play I look left and right to make sure I have room, and on kickoffs, make sure the entire sideline is clear. Occasionally I have to remind somebody to get out of the way before the play, but I've never run into or had to run around anybody.

Some view these reminders to get-back as a problem that should be handled with a sideline warning. Some, like me, think the warnings, if ignored, warrant a sideline warning. Since I made part of my pregame to talk to the HC and find a get-back coach, I haven't had any coach question or challenge my warnings.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:27am
Ref Ump Welsch

When I work the wing, I always say something to the team at the beginning, because my philosophy is that if they ALL hear it, they'll remind each other. What I usually say is along the lines of "three coaches in the coaches box, everyone else behind the line and let me and chain crew work. I don't want to have to mow someone over tonight!" Trust me, it works, because I'm built like a lineman and played line in HS.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas, we've had a huge emphasis on sideline control this year after 5 members of the San Antonio chapter were sued for a coach (who came out on the field) that was injured when one of them ran into him. Let's not deviate the discussion into the legal realm here (all 5 were dismissed from the suit), but that got TASO very interested in getting everyone back.

First, our chapter secretary sent out a note to all schools and ADs saying we would vigorously enforce the sideline rule (NCAA; fed may differ) in ALL levels. Second, we make it a point to let all benches know before the game. Third, we flag (2 warnings, then 5, then 15) early and often, if necessary. There's not much the coach can do when the state association has our back on this. They can't scratch guys or complain to the state for us enforcing the rules.

I've had few troubles when I've been on the wings and only marginal issues with my crew mates when I'm the R. You have to explain to them that its a safety issue for them and us, it is a rule like anything else, and we must enforce it whether they agree with it or like it. I tell them that I'll talk to them the whole game if they'll listen, but if they don't, the flag comes out. They moan, but they do get back. A few weeks ago, the bench had been doing a decent job of listening and then, boom, on an interception return for a TD (their team scoring), the bench came too far out and so did my flag. The rest of the game, they were choir boys -- practically in the stands!

Throw the flag for the warning. It DOES work. The other thing that works if you've been talking to coaches all night to to tell the players, "guys, scoot back; you're pushing up the coaches." At that point, you'll hear 5 coaches yelling "get back, get back." Too many (in my view) coaches are of the view "do what I say, and ignore what I do," and this is one example. They'll be glad to tell players to get back, but they don't like you telling them to.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

This is something we all struggle with. I hate doing it because I'd rather concentrate on what's going on on the field, but the state is really pushing it.

Aside from all the other hints, it also helps when the R and the BJ get involved and take a look at the sidelines when the play is down near a goal line. I've been stuck down on the 2 yard line and looked back and seen coaching staffs five yards or more out on the field back at mid-field. In those cases, it's easier if the R or BJ gets on them since they are closer.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:46pm
Chain of Fools

NC state office made it a POE this year. They hit the coaches with it at their clinic in the spring and threatened our playoff games if we didn't enforce it at our summer meeting. Most WH's cover it in pre-game conference now.

I think this is what it took. Before, if you tried to enforce it, you got the rep as a hard@$$. Now the state take the heat on it along with the taunting ejections.

What really helped the most was making the players stay back. The players push up so it pushes the coaches out and so on. Keep the players back and its easier to convince the coaches their workspace is ok.

I'm the first to admit I wasn't that strong on it. If they stay out of my way, I was fine. It has gone well this season. I had one team with about 10-12 coaches that I should have cracked down on and another team who had an assisstant that didn't seem to get the message everyone else got. I was trying to go easy on them as they're a small school who had lost every game and kicked about 10 players off for a "party" about a month earlier.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 08:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

As a first year official, this has been the most challenging aspect of working the wings this year. I have worked HL only a handful of games, the rest at U but I'm slowly starting to learn how to manage a sideline. It definitely isn't easy.

The last time I worked HL at a Freshman game, I was having trouble with the players (and as a result the coaches) crowding my chain crew. During one break, I asked the HC to please keep the sideline clear so my crew could have room to work but unfortunately he brushed me off. A few plays later, the sideline was crowded again.

Their team took possession of the football and on the next play, threw a long pass completion to the opposite sideline. Seeing my opportunity, I tossed my flag high and after the play, took my time reporting to the Referee. I could hear the anxious chatter of my sideline, "What was the flag for? Are we losing all those yards?!"

I told my R, "Sideline warning on my sideline please." The R came over, gave the sideline warning while I asked the coach again to please make room for my chain crew so they can safely do their job. This did the trick. Immediately the HC belted out to his players, "All of you behind this line and if you cross it, take your gear off because you're done for the night!" You could have driven an 18-wheeler down my sideline the rest of the night.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Illinois is very serious about controlling the sideline. Don't enforce the zone: no playoff games for your crew.
We threw the warnings early, got a playoff game. Hmm.
Most often the HCs want you to throw it to get the assts. and players back.

Explain in pre-game. Warn at first opportunity. throw the flag - first one's free. We did not throw a second on any team this year.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 09:18am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
As a first year official, this has been the most challenging aspect of working the wings this year. I have worked HL only a handful of games, the rest at U but I'm slowly starting to learn how to manage a sideline. It definitely isn't easy.

The last time I worked HL at a Freshman game, I was having trouble with the players (and as a result the coaches) crowding my chain crew. During one break, I asked the HC to please keep the sideline clear so my crew could have room to work but unfortunately he brushed me off. A few plays later, the sideline was crowded again.

Their team took possession of the football and on the next play, threw a long pass completion to the opposite sideline. Seeing my opportunity, I tossed my flag high and after the play, took my time reporting to the Referee. I could hear the anxious chatter of my sideline, "What was the flag for? Are we losing all those yards?!"

I told my R, "Sideline warning on my sideline please." The R came over, gave the sideline warning while I asked the coach again to please make room for my chain crew so they can safely do their job. This did the trick. Immediately the HC belted out to his players, "All of you behind this line and if you cross it, take your gear off because you're done for the night!" You could have driven an 18-wheeler down my sideline the rest of the night.
Aye, I should try this next time in a freshman or other sub-varsity game. Maybe even a varsity game....*dreaming*
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Remember to always throw your flag for an official sideline warning. Just because the first one is "free", doesn't make it any less of a penalty per the rulebook.

It is a foul, and the penalty for the first offense is a warning. The most important aspect of this in my opinion is to get the most effect out of it. I use my voice 2-3 times to verbally tell my coaches to get back and almost always I never have a problem after that. But there's always going to be that team w/coaches that don't learn and/or don't care about verbal warnings.

so here's what I do. I never throw a sideline warning during a dead-ball period. It has little affect other than to annoy everyone in attendance for something "administrative" in their opinion and the coaches just keep talking into their headsets anyway. So what I do is wait for the "big play". The one where their defense intercepts a pass and runs it back or they have a long gain or a great special teams play. Inevitably you're going to bump into one of the coaches, especially when they're excited and right on the sideline because they want to see. Bonus points for hitting an assistant coach...the point being is that you let it fly nice and high while their team is running back a pick for 6. Then you take your time talking to the R at the same time calling your opposite wing over for a quick conference...meanwhile the coaches know it's on them and the assistant knows he's probably going to get his *** chewed for getting a TD called back. Let them sweat for 30 seconds and then jog back over after the "conference" and advise the HC that this was a sideline warning and it's either a warning (or ding them with a 5 yarder but it's still a NP/SS foul so they get to keep the score). Then you're the great guy for "just warning them" and "letting them" keep the points--which they would know anyway if they read the rulebook. Then point out the offender to the HC if it's not the HC and watch the fireworks.
As an added bonus, the offside wing gets to tell his coach that the other guy is getting a sideline warning and if he doesn't want the same thing, he needs to control his sideline as well.

Again, just my opinion but it's worked for me....
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
I'll be honest, my sidleine control leaves something to be desired. What are some things that I can do to better control my sideline? It seems to me everytie I tell the coachess that I need them back they want to either argue or think I am picking on them. I usually tell them that if they give me a yard we'll be fine. I tell them that they can only have 3 coaches in the box and they have 5+, I tell the players to get back behind the line that if they are on the line they aren't behind it. And coaches complain that I need to pay attention to the game. I try to tell them that I can't pay attention to the game if I am constantly worried about getting injured because they happen to be in my way when I turn to go upfield or back to cove a sack or TFL. Any advice is greatly appreciated...
We threw 2 "sideline warnings" on coaches (one on each sideline) in a big game. No problem after that. I was a wing and when I returned to the sideline after reporting the foul to the R, the coach asked what it was for. I said, "Coach, look where you are standing," (2 yds onto the field). He got the point. I like the sideline warning because it costs no yards, yet sends a clear message. Try it, you'll like it.