View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:36am
I Bleed Crimson

This is a great thread. I've been graded down by state evaluators for "marginal sideline control" but I have never experienced a problem. A lot of it is in the eye of the beholder. Some think a toe over the line is "marginal sideline control" while others think it is not dealing with a sideline problem appropriately. I'm in the latter camp.

In my pregame, I talk with the head coach and find a "get-back" coach. I remind the get-back coach that there are to only be 3 coaches in the box and indicate it is a point of emphasis with our association. Before every play I look left and right to make sure I have room, and on kickoffs, make sure the entire sideline is clear. Occasionally I have to remind somebody to get out of the way before the play, but I've never run into or had to run around anybody.

Some view these reminders to get-back as a problem that should be handled with a sideline warning. Some, like me, think the warnings, if ignored, warrant a sideline warning. Since I made part of my pregame to talk to the HC and find a get-back coach, I haven't had any coach question or challenge my warnings.