The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Stranger in a Strange Land

Had my first game in my new state last night (finally, after getting a place to live and sorting through a crazy work schedule). Felt good. Had the chains in a four-man crew for a freshman game (apparently a lack of officials has them staggering lower-level games through the week, with freshmen on Wednesdays and Jayvee on Thursday and then varsity on Fridays).

Felt like old times (even though it had only been just over a month since I did a game). Guys I worked with were great.

All the non-verbal hand signals between officials are different here from what I was used to. The signals for "double sticks," "clock killer," "ten men," all different. Took a little getting used to.

Coach on my side was pretty well-behaved. He did lose his mind on one long play against his team's defense. Team A had 7 on the line, but the tackle on my side was uncovered. There were no backs or ends on my side of the field (turns out A only had 10 men to begin with). The coach chased me the length of the field to tell me it was an illegal formation, that you can't leave a tackle uncovered. He wasn't appeased by the referee's explanation.

"Why not?"

"Because that's the rule."

He was still talking about it five minutes later, but I tuned him out.

Weather was nice. Apparently the season goes a little bit longer here, another couple weeks. I think next week is the last week of the regular season back in Illinois.

Anyway, I just wanted to get a run out or two before the season ended.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NorthernAZRef Send a message via MSN to NorthernAZRef
Welcome to Arizona. The staggered games are common statewide. I'm up in Flagstaff, and I'll be doing a varsity game this afternoon up on the reservation in addition to one Friday night. We are just short on officials everywhere.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Coach thinks he coaching in the NFL.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Don't they all . . .
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 11:22am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Take your pick: NFL, NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA, etc. etc....anything but the NF!
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
The signals for "double sticks," "clock killer," "ten men," all different. Took a little getting used to.

I've seen officials communicate "double sticks" all the time, but why? It seems kind of pointless to me...

Also, what's a "clock killer" and why do you signal it?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 12:09pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I've seen officials communicate "double sticks" all the time, but why? It seems kind of pointless to me...
As a side guy, I find it useful. It reminds me that I have to see the ball go past two stakes before stopping the clock. When I work the chains, it also helps me when I feel myself go by the sticks. As for R, U, and BJ? I don't know why they need it other than to relay it to the side guys.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

Also, what's a "clock killer" and why do you signal it?
A "clock killer" signal for us means that we will be stopping the clock after this play no matter what the result. Usually on a fourth down play when the offense is going for it. If the offense get the first down, the clock is stopped to reset the sticks. If they fail to get the first down, the clock is stopped for the change of possession.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef
A "clock killer" signal for us means that we will be stopping the clock after this play no matter what the result. Usually on a fourth down play when the offense is going for it. If the offense get the first down, the clock is stopped to reset the sticks. If they fail to get the first down, the clock is stopped for the change of possession.
REPLY: Just interested...what signal do you use for that?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
The throat slash.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

signal # 19
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

We hit our fists on top of each other as a clock killer and make in X with our forearms to indicate double sticks. Others?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

What other non-standard signals do you folks use out there?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
What other non-standard signals do you folks use out there?
Hmm...let's see. I've used the wide left, wide right signal for FG's. I've signaled catch, bobble, he was pushed out of bounds.

As back judge, I've swept the arm's to the side to indicate a receiver caught a pass beyond the end line.

I personally use the NF signal for touchback, but I know the NFL version is the one most guys in stripes like to use.

For me, I know some of the signals I use are "non-standard" but in my opinion signals or hand gestures are just extensions of our ability to communicate, not only to each other, but to the coaches and the fans. I realize the fans don't come to watch the refs, but I do feel it is our duty to "communicate" what is happening on the field as best as we can.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
We hit our fists on top of each other as a clock killer and make in X with our forearms to indicate double sticks. Others?
We used the forearm X for clock killer in Illinois, but apparently it has no place here. Double sticks was index fingers waggled back and forth with hands held about shoulder width apart in Illinois, here it's hitting fists on top of each other.

Clock killer here is apparently thumbs waggled back and forth with hands waist-high.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.