View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Stranger in a Strange Land

Had my first game in my new state last night (finally, after getting a place to live and sorting through a crazy work schedule). Felt good. Had the chains in a four-man crew for a freshman game (apparently a lack of officials has them staggering lower-level games through the week, with freshmen on Wednesdays and Jayvee on Thursday and then varsity on Fridays).

Felt like old times (even though it had only been just over a month since I did a game). Guys I worked with were great.

All the non-verbal hand signals between officials are different here from what I was used to. The signals for "double sticks," "clock killer," "ten men," all different. Took a little getting used to.

Coach on my side was pretty well-behaved. He did lose his mind on one long play against his team's defense. Team A had 7 on the line, but the tackle on my side was uncovered. There were no backs or ends on my side of the field (turns out A only had 10 men to begin with). The coach chased me the length of the field to tell me it was an illegal formation, that you can't leave a tackle uncovered. He wasn't appeased by the referee's explanation.

"Why not?"

"Because that's the rule."

He was still talking about it five minutes later, but I tuned him out.

Weather was nice. Apparently the season goes a little bit longer here, another couple weeks. I think next week is the last week of the regular season back in Illinois.

Anyway, I just wanted to get a run out or two before the season ended.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.