The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Fouls by A and B during the same DB Interval

Situation: (Federation) Third and 4 at the 50 yard line. After the ball is declared ready for play and before the snap, B60 jumps across the neutral zone and contacts snapper, A50. A61 then commits a personal foul by shoving B60. Ruling? Please cite rule or case reference.

Thanks.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Read it backwards.

Encroachment on B & DB personal foul on A.

Rule 10 Sec 2. Art. 4... Penalties for dead-ball fouls are administered separately and in the order of their occurrence. A dead-ball foul is not coupled with a live-ball foul or another dead-ball foul to create a double or multiple foul.

Rule 9 Sec 4. Art. 3b Personal Foul, Charging Opponent when ball is dead.

Rule 7 Sec 1. Art. 5 Encroachment.

Last edited by FeetBallRef; Thu Oct 11, 2007 at 09:42am.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

FeetBallRef,

Do you have it backwards? I have that B60 jumped into the NZ and A60 committed the PF.

Therefore, enforce the DB fouls in the order they occurred and award a new series if after any enforcement the ball is beyond the line to gain.

The end result is 1st and 10 for A from the A-40 yardline.

FeetBallRef gave one rule reference that applies, the other one is I believe in Rule 5 somewhere (sorry, don't have books in the office this morning).
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 09:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by breynolds
Situation: Third and 4 at the 50 yard line. After the ball is declared ready for play and before the snap, B60 jumps across the neutral zone and contacts snapper, A50. A61 then commits a personal foul by shoving B60. Ruling?
CANADIAN RULING:

When you mention the 50 yard line, you are obviously clarifying that the LS is right at mid-field. Our mid-field is the 55, so I will adjust the ruling for that change.

B60 is flagged for offside. A61 is flagged for UR. B's foul is 5 yards, A's is 15. The net is 10 yards against A + repeat the down. Result: A 3D/14 @ A-45.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Kirby got it. It was the awarding of the new series that was confusing me. For some reason, I wanted to enforce both DB fouls before determining whether or not it results in a first down.

But, 5-1-2a says, "After a first, second, or third down, a new series of downs shall be awarded only after considering the effect of any act during the down other than non-player or unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by A, and any dead-ball foul by B.

It does not mention anything about DB fouls by A or DB fouls by both teams. I can't find any case book situation on it either, so I agree...

1st and 10 for A from A40.

Thanks.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
CANADIAN RULING:

When you mention the 50 yard line, you are obviously clarifying that the LS is right at mid-field. Our mid-field is the 55, so I will adjust the ruling for that change.

B60 is flagged for offside. A61 is flagged for UR. B's foul is 5 yards, A's is 15. The net is 10 yards against A + repeat the down. Result: A 3D/14 @ A-45.
Yes, thank you. I often forget that our friends to the north have a little more field to cover.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 10:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Yes, thank you. I often forget that our friends to the north have a little more field to cover.
In fact, the difference is much more than people realize. It's especialyl noticable in my town because we have a team that plays in the NAFL.

US field: 360' x 160' = 6,400 yards˛.
(http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...are+yards&meta=)

Cdn field: 150 yards x 65 yards = 9,750 yards˛.
(http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...are+yards&meta=)

Ratio is 9,750:6,400 = 1.52:1.

And just 2 years ago we went to 7-men in NCAA-equivalent football. We could use 6 because of the mechanics that were developed allowed for coverage: migration of deep officials.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kirby got it. It was the awarding of the new series that was confusing me. For some reason, I wanted to enforce both DB fouls before determining whether or not it results in a first down.

But, 5-1-2a says, "After a first, second, or third down, a new series of downs shall be awarded only after considering the effect of any act during the down other than non-player or unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by A, and any dead-ball foul by B.

It does not mention anything about DB fouls by A or DB fouls by both teams. I can't find any case book situation on it either, so I agree...

1st and 10 for A from A40.
Wait a minute...you take the rule book's silence re fouls in the dead ball interval by A to mean the new series is awarded after A's foul? What about the mention of one working to the exclusion of others?

I read what you quoted just the opposite. The dead ball foul by B occurs 1st, resulting in a new series, then the foul by A, resulting in 1st & 25 for A at A's 40.

Robert
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
... The dead ball foul by B occurs 1st, resulting in a new series, then the foul by A, resulting in 1st & 25 for A at A's 40.
REPLY: You're partially right. Yes...the dead ball foul by B results in a new series for A. But no, the chains are not set until all dead ball fouls--including the one by A--prior to the ensuing ready for play are enforced. So it will be 1st-10.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: You're partially right. Yes...the dead ball foul by B results in a new series for A. But no, the chains are not set until all dead ball fouls--including the one by A--prior to the ensuing ready for play are enforced. So it will be 1st-10.
Then Fed sure has a strange way of putting it!