The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Interpretation of the official basketball rule 2000, september 2000 p.5: a personal foul by a jumper against on another jumper when starting jumpball before the ball is tapped by any jumper.
FIBA document:
1.Handbook p.125: all foul during an interval of play are technical.
2.Rulebook : penalty of technical foul during an interval of play is two free throw award to any player of opposing team and then start the game by jump ball.
3.Interpretation of the official basketball rule 2000, september 2000 p.5: two free throw award to another jumper.
Question: Are there discrepancy?
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
nywai,

Most of us here use rules that are published by either NCAA or National Federation of High Schools. Personally, I have no idea of any FIBA rules/interpretations. You need to talk to the Oz-man. Duane, you still among us?

Chuck
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Dear nywai,

I ref FIBA rules. I don't understand your #3 "two free throw to award another jumper". I have looked at page 5 of the document you mentionned and I cannot find that passage.

However, in FIBA, any foul that occurs before the ball is legally tapped is considered a foul during an interval of play. It is a technical and it counts as one the player's five personals, and it counts as a team foul. The penalty is two free throws to the opposition followed by the resumption of the jump ball to begin the game (or quarter).
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Hello Jay R:
There are three case in the document:
case aersonal foul by the B4(a jumper) and two free throws award to A4(another jumper).
case b:technical foul by B5 and and two free throws award to any player of team A.
case c:unsportmanlike foul is called on B6 committed against A6 and two free throws award to any player of team A.
If all fouls during an interval of play are technial fouls,why two free throws is awarded to A4(another jumper),but not awarded to any player of team A.