The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Hs Or Ncaa ?

To all who contribute to this site a hearty thank you from DOWNUNDER as my reviewing of the issues that arise has helped me immensely.

I am a new "White Cap" in our football comp in Sydney Australia and we play under NCAA rules. I have officiated for many years as we have to impliement a "player-official" system as we do not have enough offiicials to run both venues (2 games per day per venue). I previously played for many years and coached for the past 9 nine years at club, state and national level.

The only difficulty I am having in reviewing the issues that come up in each thread is the didfferences between HS and NCAA rulings that are quoted, which make me run for the rule book or my latest Rogers Redding to check my knowledge - only to later realise the author of the post was referring to a HS rule rather than the NCAA version.

Could I ask PLEASE that all posters who quote a rule refer to which side of the fence you are quoting from - much like our Canadian friend does when referring to the applicable rule.

Many thanks
Darrin
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 05:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

What exactly are you asking? Are you asking which we prefer or which code you should use? I am a little confused by what you are trying to say.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 05:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What exactly are you asking? Are you asking which we prefer or which code you should use? I am a little confused by what you are trying to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMitchell
Could I ask PLEASE that all posters who quote a rule refer to which side of the fence you are quoting from.
Rut, it's quite clear what he is asking.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 05:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Is that the Canadian ruling or is that consistent to NFHS and NCAA as well?

DSMitchell I try to make sure that I state what rules my posts are based on. It seems most of the time we are talking about NFHS rules, but that could be just me.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 05:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
BTW, everyone does that already (if that is all he is asking). You even give your little Canadian rulings which most of us seem to ignore because most of us are not in Canada. If that is what he wants, then why all the background of what league he is doing? At least for me that did not connect to that question if that is all he wanted to know.

For the record, if you do any reading of this site, not everyone officiates with one code. We have a lot of Texas members that make it very clear what rules they use every time they answer a question. I am almost never confused when they talk and when others ask questions. Then they make it clear they are not familiar with NF Rules. I would also add that most people in the United States use NF rules and that applies to most of the posters that frequent here. Even when people do not ask a question and they do not specify which code answer they are looking for, most answers specify the code they reference. You have to because there are over 200 differences between NF and NCAA codes.

Maybe he needs to read a few more posts before he makes that kind of claim.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even when people do not ask a question and they do not specify which code answer they are looking for, most answers specify the code they reference.
I'm not sure that would be true if you did a count.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
I'm not sure that would be true if you did a count.
Then assume that most posts are about NF Rules (which they clearly are) and if you are not completely sure, then ask (which most will gladly clarify). There is no need to give a life story and then tell people how to reference every post.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only difficulty I am having in reviewing the issues that come up in each thread is the didfferences between HS and NCAA rulings that are quoted, which make me run for the rule book or my latest Rogers Redding to check my knowledge - only to later realise the author of the post was referring to a HS rule rather than the NCAA version.

Could I ask PLEASE that all posters who quote a rule refer to which side of the fence you are quoting from - much like our Canadian friend does when referring to the applicable rule.

Many thanks
Darrin
Darrin - I think you can assume that those NOT labelling their posts are using FED rules. Those of us that use NCAA rules tend to include that in our posts (although I flubbed one last week).

Also - check refstripes dot com - they have a similar forum, but they break their discussions into FED and NCAA sections.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Well I did not intend to stir up a hornets nest by simply stating my relative inexperience compared to some of my learned friends and my poor isolated football background from the backwaters of Sydney Australia.

I thank those of you who have contributed POSITIVELY to my post esp Juggling Ref and MBC above and confirm the Canadian version of events is usually stated clearly which I take on board to compare various situations.

It seems that a lot of posts do state the rules but I was SIMPLY asking if it could be borne in mind to avoid any confusion in my growth as an official in the game that I love but am starved of due to my proximity.

So I will assume that unless stated a comment will be based on NFHS which will allow me to read more of the comments that are made in less time.

Thanks a lot
Darrin
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 10:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It seems that a lot of posts do state the rules but I was SIMPLY asking if it could be borne in mind to avoid any confusion in my growth as an official in the game that I love but am starved of due to my proximity.
If you stick around longer than a month, you might see how things work here. And that was SIMPLY my point.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Well I did not intend to stir up a hornets nest by simply stating my relative inexperience compared to some of my learned friends and my poor isolated football background from the backwaters of Sydney Australia.

I thank those of you who have contributed POSITIVELY to my post esp Juggling Ref and MBC above and confirm the Canadian version of events is usually stated clearly which I take on board to compare various situations.

So I will assume that unless stated a comment will be based on NFHS which will allow me to read more of the comments that are made in less time.

Thanks a lot
Darrin
Darrin,
I think you might be better off using refstripes dot com. There are a few other officials from Down Under that post there and that site has a bigger NCAA crowd than here.
Also that site doesn't get caught up in all of the petty stuff that goes on here at times.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 07:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Also that site doesn't get caught up in all of the petty stuff that goes on here at times.
Agreed.

Peace

Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Guys will do.

I don't think I will bother lasting "longer than a month".

Last edited by DSMitchell; Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 04:45pm.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 12:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Bye.

Sorry the truth hurts.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 04:02am

Quote:
Bye.

Sorry the truth hurts.

Peace
I see you've moved to the head of the Welcome Wagon.

Darrin,

Officials are always welcome,and unfortunately, there isn't just one source of officiating resources. I frequent both boards because any information I learn will only help me and both boards provide that opportunity.