The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Foley vs. Daphne on ESPN2

Last night I was clicking back and forth between the S. Carolina/Kentucky game and the high school game on ESPN2. I happened to catch one of the kickoffs and I thought I saw the U behind the kicking team. If any Alabama officials are online, do y'all use different mechanics for kickoffs...or was this only for the TV broadcast? Just wondering.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
I believe they were doing 7-man NCAA mechanics
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 10:32am
Chain of Fools

Yup- they were working 7 man crew last night. Also noticed the ball boys running the ball all the way into the umpire frequently.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

They were working 7 man. Yet on several plays I saw short wings starting out near the numbers. With 7 man I can't understand why they were out there.

I'm assuming that this was a special situation and 7 man isn't normally used there.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
Yup- they were working 7 man crew last night. Also noticed the ball boys running the ball all the way into the umpire frequently.
Because of the high humidity and often heavy dew on the field, it is a common practice to swap the ball after every play. We normally work in five man crews and ball boy has become a valued crew member. Allowing the boy to bring the ball to the umpire is an accepted practice in AL. You may think it bush league, but a good ball boy can speed up play when you swap the ball that often.

We are dabbling with six man mechanics and have discussed eliminating the ball boy on field when using it. But they are trained so well, it is hard top stop! Last night is the first time I have seven man used in our state. If they didn’t get permission from the state office, the association may be in big trouble today.

Other than the ball boy, what did you think of their mechanic?
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:47pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref
Because of the high humidity and often heavy dew on the field, it is a common practice to swap the ball after every play. We normally work in five man crews and ball boy has become a valued crew member. Allowing the boy to bring the ball to the umpire is an accepted practice in AL. You may think it bush league, but a good ball boy can speed up play when you swap the ball that often.
For the record, I don't think it is bush league.

We do 5 man here, and we allow the ball boy to bring the ball in between plays, as long as they do not hold up the RFP. We remind them to run the ball all the way into the U, and not to throw the ball at all. Most teams have ball boys that are very well trained and do an excellent job. For those teams that don't do so well, after the first couple of screw-ups, we banish them from the field except for tries and COP.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Equipment?

Does the State of AL, not concern itself with bicep bands and wrist bands worn just below the elbow? I also saw what looked like a wrist band around one players knee.

I am the U in my crew and normally have a very solid ball boy working for us. I take my 13 yr old son to most of my games and he knows when to bring me a ball. We normally only change balls on COP, but also on deep incomplete passes. He also sets another ball at the goal post when a team is attempting a try or FG.