The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Pass interference illegal arm bar

Maybe someone can help me understand this, happened at my son's high school varsity game Friday. Fourth down and 26 our safety intercepts a pass
is brought down and we think it should be our ball. Ref's threw a flag on the play and this is the explanation we got. The defender used an illegal arm bar to intecept the pass. Now our safety intercepted the ball and he was 4-5 yards from the receiver and our defender, don't think he could have interferred.

Now it gets stranger the refs did not spot the ball where they say the receiver was interferred at but marked off a 15 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage and gave the ball back with a first down. Any opinions or comments that might help figure this out would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 02:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

The official probably judged that the defender covering the receiver committed the pass interference and not the safety intercepting the football. In high school, the pass does not have to be "catchable" for there to be pass interference.

The penalty enforcement is correct for high school rules, 15 yards from the previous spot and an automatic first down.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyw
Maybe someone can help me understand this, happened at my son's high school varsity game Friday. Fourth down and 26 our safety intercepts a pass
is brought down and we think it should be our ball. Ref's threw a flag on the play and this is the explanation we got. The defender used an illegal arm bar to intecept the pass. Now our safety intercepted the ball and he was 4-5 yards from the receiver and our defender, don't think he could have interferred.

Now it gets stranger the refs did not spot the ball where they say the receiver was interferred at but marked off a 15 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage and gave the ball back with a first down. Any opinions or comments that might help figure this out would be appreciated.

Thanks
They were correct, but probably did not say what happened correctly. One defender had a defensive pass interference foul (the arm bar) and your safety intercepted the pass. Defensive pass interference is a 15 yard penalty from the previous spot (the original line of scrimmage) and is also an automatic first down.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

illegal arm bar

Okay thanks for setting us straight.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

My take

Ok if i am wrong then set me straight because I am bias here. Little more detail it was 4th and 26 with just under two minutes left and their was no way the reciver could have caught this ball pass interference or not. This and two subsequent penalties changed the outcome of the game. I am of the opinion that this was a flag that should not have been thrown if I am wrong then let me know.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Ok if i am wrong then set me straight because I am bias here. Little more detail it was 4th and 26 with just under two minutes left and their was no way the reciver could have caught this ball pass interference or not. This and two subsequent penalties changed the outcome of the game. I am of the opinion that this was a flag that should not have been thrown if I am wrong then let me know.
Did you read the previous message?

It is irrelevant in Federation rules whether the pass is catchable. If the defender interferes, he interferes.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 10:59am
Chain of Fools

Catchable pass has NOTHING to do with NF rules. We were instructed several years ago that IF the ball is thrown to the opposite side of the field, then we were not to flag PI but could still have illegal contact or illegal use of hands/holding.

The "Illegal arm bar" was ruled to be PI since the penalty was 15 yds. from your statement. Whether or not the receiver could have caught the ball is immaterial.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I understand

I understand the replies and the ball being catchable has nothing to do with it. I am not a referee so I am asking for opinions. Do you flag every infraction regardless of the situation, I would think if you did a game could go on forever. I would think some interpetation and judgement would be used by the refs if not then hey, I am wrong.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

In every play interpretation and judgment is used. It just doesn't always go in favor of your team. When "interpretation" and judgment" are used in describing a play, then you won't get a black and white result.

Thanks for asking.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Pass interference was called. None of us was there to witness the play but based upon what you have posted it sounds like the correct call was made. Defensive pass interference is a 15 yard penalty, or half the distance to the goal if the previous spot is inside the 30-yard line, and an automatic first down.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand the replies and the ball being catchable has nothing to do with it. I am not a referee so I am asking for opinions. Do you flag every infraction regardless of the situation, I would think if you did a game could go on forever. I would think some interpetation and judgement would be used by the refs if not then hey, I am wrong.
REPLY: No rodneyw, we do not flag every infraction regardless of situation, but consider this. The arm bar (which is nothing more than sticking the arm out into the receiver's chest or midsection to restrict his movement to the ball) might have occurred early during the pass's flight and created a situation where it now 'looks' like he could never have caught the ball, when in fact he might have been able to either catch the pass or bat the ball away from your safety had the arm bar not occurred. What you saw at the end of the play could most definitely have been affected by what occurred earlier. That's the judgment that the covering official needed to make.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Ok

Consensus is the right call was made that is fine. All I wanted to know. Thanks for the replies and I did also consider that maybe the receiver was held up.

Thanks

Last edited by rodneyw; Tue Oct 02, 2007 at 11:32am.