The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:47am
Broadcaster

NFHS: Unnumbered field

I've broadcast more than 100 NFHS varsity football games and this past Friday was my first on an unnumbered field. There was a logo at the 50, so that helped. But no other numbers. In fact, there were metal signs of numbers usually placed on the fence around the field, but they were stacked neatly on the ground during the game. Is there a rule requiring the field to be numbered? If not, would you be in favor of one?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

The field should have numbers. If not send a note to the school. Thats all we can do.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
If the field is improperly marked we're required to follow-up with a letter to our state association informing them of the problem.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

This is the only reference in the rules book.

1-2-2 Yard-line markers, constructed of soft, pliable materials, if placed on the ground, should be no closer than 5 yards to the sideline.

That implies that there must be yard-line markers.

I will remember the 5 yards though as I don't think we ever move them that far back. I will bring that up this Friday.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 06:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not have my books at all, but numbers are not at all required. The rules about illegal substitution that added the 9 yard marks could apply to numbers or a line or "tick mark" in order comply with a legal substitution. The numbers are never required on a field. It is just in recent years that I can pretty much expect numbers on the field. Many fields for years only had lines.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

they are suppose to have a hash mark or numbers per rules.

see 1.2f

Last edited by andy1033; Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 07:29pm.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Jeff - no one has said that numbers were required on the field. Numbers painted on every other line have only been a recent thing in my area too. However 1-2-2 says that yard line indicators at least 5 yards out of bounds are required. Thus his statement that the usual signs around the field were neatly stacked and not in their usual locations.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Warrenkicker,

I don't think the rule cited in the post above says that numbers are required on or around the field. If says signs if placed around the field must be placed five yards from the field of play. The word if is an optional word indicating that the signs are optional. If the signs were mandatory, the rule would state that they shall be placed at least five yards from the field of play.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
This is the only reference in the rules book.

1-2-2 Yard-line markers, constructed of soft, pliable materials, if placed on the ground, should be no closer than 5 yards to the sideline.

That implies that there must be yard-line markers.

I will remember the 5 yards though as I don't think we ever move them that far back. I will bring that up this Friday.
I move them every week, I dont move them 5 yards because most fields do not have that much room. Seem like every school puts them right. I normally move them to the edge of the team box.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef
Warrenkicker,

I don't think the rule cited in the post above says that numbers are required on or around the field. If says signs if placed around the field must be placed five yards from the field of play. The word if is an optional word indicating that the signs are optional. If the signs were mandatory, the rule would state that they shall be placed at least five yards from the field of play.
Nowhere does it say IF there are numbers as I read it.

This says to me that there are to be yard-line markers no closer than 5 yards from the sideline and that if they are on the ground they shall be made of soft, pliable materials. This leaves the option for putting signs on a fence. If yard-line markers were optional the rule would say, "Yard-line markers may be used if placed...." just like the rule about an auxiliary line-to-gain marker under 1-3-5c.

1-3-5c Unofficial auxiliary line-to-gain and down indicators may be used on the sideline opposite the official line-to-gain and down indicators, and shall be operated approximately 2 yards outside of the sideline except in stadiums where the total playing enclosure does not permit.

I agree that the use of "should" in 1-2-2 is unusual but your argument about that is should say "shall" if it wasn't optional isn't a good one as the rule for the auxiliary line-to-gain marker uses "shall".

But then again I am not going to make this a huge issue. The numbers have always been there when I needed them.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD406
I move them every week, I dont move them 5 yards because most fields do not have that much room. Seem like every school puts them right. I normally move them to the edge of the team box.
Since the two yard belt around the field is now supposed to be clear of anybody except for the three coaches in the coach's box it is convenient to use the yard markers to indicate the edge of this belt if there isn't a line. I usually move the goal line marker further away as I will get a long way off the field sometimes there. I don't want to be tripping over something there and also don't want to give up the line if the play comes toward the pylon. I will end up 5 yards off the field sometimes to avoid being rolled into by a tackler. The year before I joined my first varsity crew that crew had a wing rolled into at the goal line and he broke his leg.