The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Question Illegal equipment

2nd quarter of a 7-7 game. 3rd and 10 for A at their own 15. The coach of the B team calls time out and informs official that quarterback A1 has a stripe down the middle of his towel during last down. The official has player remove towel. Coach then request a conference to review why a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty was not called for illegal equipment. How would you handle this?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

If you didn't see it during the last down, you can't flag it. I prefer preventive officiating. Have him remove it and play on. I am not into nit-picky stuff, so I go the preventive route.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I agree preventive is best, but he was wearing it during the down. The coach saw it and waited for the right time to spring it on the officials. Need to be very careful about what the players are wearing.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backjudge79
I agree preventive is best, but he was wearing it during the down. The coach saw it and waited for the right time to spring it on the officials. Need to be very careful about what the players are wearing.
Wrong.

If the official caught it during the play, the official flags it and walks it off.

If the coach catches it during a play, and informs the official after the play, all the official sees is illegal equipment in between plays. What the official did was right.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Does the Coach get tagged for allowing his player to be illegally equipped on the field of play, it's pretty obvious what happened?

Rule 9.8.1.h Failure of the head coach, following verification, to have his player(s) wear or use legal and/or required equipment.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the coach pointed it out to the official during the play. There was no way to claim it was not seen by an official. The referee did assess a 15 yard USC penalty after the conference with the coach.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetBallRef
Does the Coach get tagged for allowing his player to be illegally equipped on the field of play, it's pretty obvious what happened?

Rule 9.8.1.h Failure of the head coach, following verification, to have his player(s) wear or use legal and/or required equipment.
Egads this is a huge stretch.

There's a huge difference between "Having his players wear legal and required equipment" and having his players also wear illegal equipment.

Failure to wear what is necessary is a huge deal (buttpads, kneepads, helmets, etc), and a coach allowing his kids to violate this SHOULD be punished under the listed rule. A kid having something extraneous that he's not supposed to have out there is a completely different thing - which we should not be punishing the coach for ... especially for something like a striped towel.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Just another reason to be diligent before the game and have all the players remove illegal equipment.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Egads this is a huge stretch.
There's a huge difference between "Having his players wear legal and required equipment" and having his players also wear illegal equipment.
Failure to wear what is necessary is a huge deal (buttpads, kneepads, helmets, etc), and a coach allowing his kids to violate this SHOULD be punished under the listed rule. A kid having something extraneous that he's not supposed to have out there is a completely different thing - which we should not be punishing the coach for ... especially for something like a striped towel.
If B's coach points it out, you are stuck enforcing the rules unless you want to tell B's coach that you aren't going to enforce that rule today.

Rule 1 Sec. 5 Art. 3... Illegal equipment. No player shall participate while wearing illegal equipment. This applies to any equipment, which in the opinion of the umpire is dangerous, confusing or inappropriate. Illegal equipment shall always include but is not limited to:

k. Uniform adornments, with the exception of one unmarked moisture-absorbing white towel, which shall be no less than 4 inches in width and 12 inches in length and no greater than 18 inches in width and 36 inches in length...
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Mike...I usually agree with you, but I really can't this time on two counts: (1) When the coach verifies that his players are legally equipped, he is verifying that they are wearing all the required equipment and that they are not wearing any illegal equipment, and (2) the rule applies to 'players' and not just to players during a down. If a substitute shows up and replaces a player, he becomes a player. If before the snap he is noticed to be wearing illegal equipment or not wearing required equipment, he's just as guilty as the guy wearing that stuff during a down in progress.

Was this coach being a petty jerk? Sure
Did he put the referee in a awkward predicament? Yep
Will his coach-referee conference stand up? It should
Should a foul be called? If the kid's still on the field, yes.
Would I want to be in that ref's shoes? Not on your life.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't like coaches who do this.

Maybe he was a former drill instructer and he is anal about uniform rules.

A coach who does this may start a tit-for-tat exchange. Imagine now if the other coach calls you over for a conference and states that one of the lineman on the other team doesn't have his shirt tucked in. Or a player's sweat band is too far up the wrist, or the other coach isn't holding an authorized conference, or they have too many coaches in the box, or the coach is coming onto the field to call plays, etc.

I'm with Bob. I wouldn't want to be running that game.

Last edited by mikesears; Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 02:53pm. Reason: Added content
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Coach of home team complains the a visiting player is wearing illegal equipment, in our example, a towel with a stripe. Officials looks and, sure enough, there's a player with towel with a stripe on it.

Flag thrown.

Official now inspects home team and finds... an untucked shirt or a sweatband out of place or an unbuckled chin strap, etc.

Flag thrown.

Okay guys, now we're even. Can we play football?

Not an enviable position to be in.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

You would need to have a flag after the conference, but that is BS on the coaches part and I'm letting him know he better not have anyone with any equipment issues or things are going to even out in a hurry.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Talk about fly poop in pepper. This takes the cake. I would ask the coach if he would like me to flag him for something similar to that or if he would rather I ask his player to remove the towel and save the 15 yards. I hate playing the fashion police.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Coach of home team complains the a visiting player is wearing illegal equipment, in our example, a towel with a stripe. Officials looks and, sure enough, there's a player with towel with a stripe on it. Flag thrown.

Official now inspects home team and finds... an untucked shirt or a sweatband out of place or an unbuckled chin strap, etc. Flag thrown.
Okay guys, now we're even. Can we play football?
Not an enviable position to be in.
Great way to handle that one.