The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 12:36pm
tpaul

Jerseys

One of the problems I seem to have is a player(s) with illegal jerseys. I don’t know if area crews just don’t care or just don't know the rules. I understand we are going to play a game even if the whole team doesn’t have legal game jerseys. One season, our last game of the season we had a whole team with jerseys cut off right at the bottom of the shoulder pads! The coach was telling me we have worn these jerseys all season long. Like I said I know we have to play the game that day but any suggestions of what I should do or what crews should do on week one when something like this is found?

Other problems that I have encountered are players tying jerseys in knots or taping them into knots. Tucking of jerseys under the shoulder pads. Rib and Back pads hanging out of the jersey. On the above, do you talk to the player first or do you just bang them for the penalty? Sometimes I feel I am maybe a little to strict and sometimes to lenient. How do you guys rule on that?

Rule 1 –
ART. 3 . . . Illegal equipment. No player shall participate while wearing illegal equipment. This applies to any equipment, which in the opinion of the umpire is dangerous, confusing or inappropriate. Illegal equipment shall always include but is not limited to:

g. Rib pads and back protectors unless fully covered by a jersey.

j. Tear-away jerseys or jerseys that have been altered in any manner which produces a knot-like protrusion or creates a tear-away jersey.

PENALTY: Unsportsmanlike conduct (Arts. 2, 3, 5) – (S27) - 15 yards.

Casebook
JERSEY
1.5.1 SITUATION A: Team A's players are wearing jerseys: (a) just covering the shoulder pads, and their midriffs are exposed; or (b) that extend below the top of their pants, but some players have them tucked in, while others have them outside their pants; or (c) that are waist length, but have tucked them up under the bottom of their shoulder pads.

RULING: The jerseys in (a) and (c) are not legal. In (b), the jerseys of all players will have to be tucked inside the pants upon discovery. (1-5-1)

[Edited by tpaul on Aug 12th, 2005 at 01:40 PM]
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, you probably have to let some illegal uniforms go, report it to the state, and let them take care of it.

One thing I would definately not allow, however, is knots in the jersey. Any sort of hard protrusion is just an injury waiting to happen.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:12pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Unfortunately, you probably have to let some illegal uniforms go, report it to the state, and let them take care of it.

One thing I would definately not allow, however, is knots in the jersey. Any sort of hard protrusion is just an injury waiting to happen.
Mark,
I agree. It just drives me crazy when a player tucks his jersey under his should pads and I tell him to pull it out and tuck it in his pants and five plays later it is tucked in the shoulder pads again!
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Mark,
I agree. It just drives me crazy when a player tucks his jersey under his should pads and I tell him to pull it out and tuck it in his pants and five plays later it is tucked in the shoulder pads again!
This seems an easy one to resolve. You told him once, and at this point he is refusing to comply. Bang him for 15. If he's dumb enough to do it yet again after that, hit him for 15 again, and he's done for the game with two USCs.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:33pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Mark,
This seems an easy one to resolve. You told him once, and at this point he is refusing to comply. Bang him for 15. If he's dumb enough to do it yet again after that, hit him for 15 again, and he's done for the game with two USCs.
I know and agree! Just such a stupid penalty!
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

For the cut off jerseys, I would start the team off with one 15 yard penalty for illegal equipment and then report them to the state and let the state worry about it. I can't think of much else to do. I would pop 'em for 15 though, just to avoid letting off scott free.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JDLJ
For the cut off jerseys, I would start the team off with one 15 yard penalty for illegal equipment and then report them to the state and let the state worry about it. I can't think of much else to do. I would pop 'em for 15 though, just to avoid letting off scott free.
I haven't seen this as an umpire, but when asking the coach if everyone is legally equipped, and they have the cut off shirts, do I tell him there that he's going to get and initial 15??

I won't see that much of cut off shirts up here, We've got only a few weeks of warm FB weather anyway.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hit the coach with the USC. He is the one who told you everyone was legally equipped. If the coach allows him to do it again then he deserves to be gone.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 05:05pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp
Quote:
Originally posted by JDLJ
I haven't seen this as an umpire, but when asking the coach if everyone is legally equipped, and they have the cut off shirts, do I tell him there that he's going to get and initial 15??

I won't see that much of cut off shirts up here, We've got only a few weeks of warm FB weather anyway.
I've seen some teams in the finals every year with mid drifts showing and the NJSIAA officials don't say a word!
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
The only thing I've had issues with are getting the stupid jerseys tucked in. Huge pet peve of mine.

tpaul, what I would do, tell the coach what the rules state, then after the game file a report with the state. If they want to handle it, then that is their deal. You will always run into those that say, "That's the first time it's been called like that all year!" Yeah, whatever coach.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 06:11pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
The only thing I've had issues with are getting the stupid jerseys tucked in. Huge pet peve of mine.

tpaul, what I would do, tell the coach what the rules state, then after the game file a report with the state. If they want to handle it, then that is their deal. You will always run into those that say, "That's the first time it's been called like that all year!" Yeah, whatever coach.
Yes, I hear you. just wanted to get a feel for what other guys would do.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Still?!

You guys still have this problem? I thought this issue was put to bed a few years ago.

Doesn't a rules interpreter go to their pre-season coaches meeting?
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

36 years at Umpire here
(32 in CNY-4 here)
I have had few problems in recents years--
the "biggie" is the back pad that is not
covered by a jersey--- been a while since I've
seen the knots or other crap !!
I agree about banging the Head Coach !!
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
The only way it will ever stop is to hit them with 15 yards each time we see it and report the team. I'm not sure what the NJSIAA does if they do receive reports though. Like you said, I've seen teams in the playoffs with cutoff jerseys.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 07:36pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
The only way it will ever stop is to hit them with 15 yards each time we see it and report the team. I'm not sure what the NJSIAA does if they do receive reports though. Like you said, I've seen teams in the playoffs with cutoff jerseys.
Walt,
Like I said I was at one championship game (Jackson). Every year they have the same cut short jerseys. What no NJSIAA official could see that? They are all there watching the game!!!! But I wasn't doing the game of course but if I was I would bang 'em and it would be the last finals game my crew would see...LOL