The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I was wondering if anyone know what the exact definition of defensive holding on the line of scrimmage between the tackles is. I've noticed that the NFL is cracking down on the penalty this year.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Here's an example.

I had a call last season for defensive holding. On an extra point try by kick, the defensive tackle pulls aside the guard which enables the linebacker to shoot the gap between the guard and the center and block the kick. Now if that defensive tackle had blocked that guard legally I would not have had a problem.

I remember seeing a play this weekend watching the NFL where the defensive tackle held the offensive lineman preventing him from pulling and leading interference on an outside running play.

The key point is to remember that holding is only permissable when the player pulls aside an opponent to get to a loose ball he can legally recover or to pull aside an opponent to make the tackle.

Well, I finally got a high school play-off game as the umpire this year! It was fun. They flew me and one of my regular referees over to a different island and we did the game up at Kamehameha Schools campus (brand new 15 million dollar high school stadium up on the heights with sweeping views of Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, the ocean and the Waianae mountain ranges; we enjoyed the bright orange/red sunset as we did our pregame on folding chairs in the back of the north goal-posts). Our 7 man crew was comprised of officials from 3 different islands. A great group of guys and also a wonderful game that featured Aiea versus Lahaina Luna (oldest school west of the Rocky Mountains founded in 1831)...
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Here's an example.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Well, I finally got a high school play-off game as the umpire this year! It was fun. They flew me and one of my regular referees over to a different island and we did the game up at Kamehameha Schools campus (brand new 15 million dollar high school stadium up on the heights with sweeping views of Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, the ocean and the Waianae mountain ranges; we enjoyed the bright orange/red sunset as we did our pregame on folding chairs in the back of the north goal-posts). Our 7 man crew was comprised of officials from 3 different islands. A great group of guys and also a wonderful game that featured Aiea versus Lahaina Luna (oldest school west of the Rocky Mountains founded in 1831)...
REPLY: Mike, Congratulations on the assignment. My family and I are planning on visiting Hawaii this spring. Probably a week in Oahu, and another week visiting some of the other islands. My season ends on Saturday.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks Bob.

I hope to keep in touch with you and the other guys during the off-season. Let me know what month you will be visiting. One of our referees and I are planning to work-on a training program for the players and coaches next season. Also, the semi-pro league starts-up during May so perhaps you can take-in a game in between going sight-seeing.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Mike of course is correct on those types of defensive holding.
The "funny" part about that is-- as soon as I heard the game
commentators mention the act-- I knew that some kids who
play high school ball were watching, and would try it in their
next game. I did not see it, but would be surprised if no
one did ! Kids not only want to emulate the "celebrations" etc.
but wil also pick up on acts they think can give them an
advantage that the officials may not be able to see.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks Bob.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
I hope to keep in touch with you and the other guys during the off-season. Let me know what month you will be visiting. One of our referees and I are planning to work-on a training program for the players and coaches next season. Also, the semi-pro league starts-up during May so perhaps you can take-in a game in between going sight-seeing.
REPLY: Mike, At present we're planning on coming over in May. It's our tenth anniversary so I can't expect that the Mrs. will be too excited about me taking in a football game (as much as I'd like to). Just found out that my HS championship game tomorrow at Giants Stadium has been postponed till Wednesday night because of the snow here. (You know...that white stuff?). Hallelujah...I get another three days of football season...and my wife is absolutely thrilled. Seems that the folks at the Stadium are interested in getting everything cleared out for the "primary tenants" game on Sunday, as if they've done anything to deserve it!