The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Please when answering, note if the rule is different at the 3 levels (HS, College, Pro)

The defense hold an eligible pass receiver, but there is no forward pass on the play. The QB is either sacked, or decides to run the ball.

Should there be a flag?

I hold been told previously that it is only a foul if the offense throws a forward pass beyond the neutral zone. That has been the way I have called it, waiting to throw a flag until I saw a pass being thrown. I passed on throwing a flag on that same type of play twice yesterday in my game.

I just saw a defensive holding enforced in the NFL on a sack.

Interpretations please!
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA It is a foul and should be called. The hold may have prevented the potential receiver from getting open and therefore defense had time to get the sack.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra29
Please when answering, note if the rule is different at the 3 levels (HS, College, Pro)

The defense hold an eligible pass receiver, but there is no forward pass on the play. The QB is either sacked, or decides to run the ball.

Should there be a flag?

I hold been told previously that it is only a foul if the offense throws a forward pass beyond the neutral zone. That has been the way I have called it, waiting to throw a flag until I saw a pass being thrown. I passed on throwing a flag on that same type of play twice yesterday in my game.

Interpretations please!
It's a hold in NFHS rules, as well. You can't have DPI, but you can certainly have a hold.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Should there be a flag?

Interpretations please!
Zebra29, think of it this way, maybe the reason they did not a throw a pass is because the player was not open because he was held. That is why you need a flag on the field no matter what level of ball it is.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that logic fully.

I'm not trying to pass the buck on this one, but for some reason, I was trained that if the QB does not throw the ball, there could not be holding on the defense, since it was not a passing play.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand that logic fully.

I'm not trying to pass the buck on this one, but for some reason, I was trained that if the QB does not throw the ball, there could not be holding on the defense, since it was not a passing play.
I understand. If who trained you is still around, ask him the question I just posed to you and see what he says. I personally have never heard of it being called that way.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Can't speak for Fed but for NCAA there is somewhat of a distinction in that if not thrown and crossing the NZ, there is no auto 1st like there is if he is held and legal fwd pass crosses the NZ.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
If I see a defender latch onto a receiver I have defensive holding, pass or not, especially if I am reading that it is a pass play.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

There can be defensive holding on a designed running play, too, although it's a lot more rare than on a passing play.

A defender can hold, for example, a pulling guard to open a path for another defender who is now not blocked because of the hold. This is holding and should be called.

Defensive holding is not an automatic first down in NFHS rules.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

If the hold occurs during the pass you have DPI not hold
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 06:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by PAUMP
If the hold occurs during the pass you have DPI not hold
Nowhere in this thread did anyone say a pass was in the air. DPI restrictions begin at the time of the PASS, so a hold prior to the ball being thrown cannot be DPI.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Just making a point that if the hold occurs during a pass it is DPI.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

If the receiver was number 54, he's ineligible.

Just making the (irrelevant) point that if (in a completely different scenario that has no relation to this one) the receiver was numbered improperly, he'd be ineligible.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 07:40am
goldcoastump

In Federation, you could have illegal use of hands if there is contact after a receiver is no longer a blocker 9.2.3d but if the Defense grasped the receiver it would be holding.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAUMP
Just making a point that if the hold occurs during a pass it is DPI.
Not necessarily true, the hold can be away from the direction of the pass and as of 2005 that is not DPI but a hold.