The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Post equipment questions

Since it doesn't seem like I'm ever becoming a football official in the US, I thought I should focus on doing it well down here. SO I saw a link to a website selling Refs equipment and I got a few questions...

Flags: what flag would be better to get? the one with a centered weight or the ball center one?

Beam Bag: there're 6 options of beam bags and since I've never seen one I thought I ask what are the differences and which one to get

I saw on another Thread some Play Clocks that I found interesting but I have a problem with them. Down here I must yell out loud once the clock reaches 20 secs to go. 10 secs to go, and I must count down from 5. Don't suppose there's any clock what would vibrate those times for me, right?
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer the ball type flag, with the ball being white so it doesn't show yellow outside your knickers. I used to use the old weighted flag in the pocket but like the accessibility of the ball flag in the front. In either case, I think the professional look is one where no yellow is showing. I hate to see flags half-way out of the pocket. That looks verrry sloppy.

As for bean bags, I prefer the white. I don't understand how a blue bag in deep grass at night can be seen. I think the blue is just a fad but you should make sure your crew all use the same kind.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
As for bean bags, I prefer the white. I don't understand how a blue bag in deep grass at night can be seen. I think the blue is just a fad but you should make sure your crew all use the same kind.
Check with your local association as to the color of your bean bags. Some require the BJ to have a blue bean bag to mark the end of a scrimmage kick.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
I saw on another Thread some Play Clocks that I found interesting but I have a problem with them. Down here I must yell out loud once the clock reaches 20 secs to go. 10 secs to go, and I must count down from 5. Don't suppose there's any clock what would vibrate those times for me, right?
A Ready Ref may do this for you. You would have to get in contact with them and see if they could modify a unit to buzz at multiple times during the count down.
http://www.ready-ref.com/football_timer.html
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

The new (2 years ago) ball flags that have a white ball are a great. They are not seen at all in your knickers. I pushed a little bit, and our entire crew has them, so our flags will all be the same color and look. Some of the flags are more yellow and I think it is nice to have them all look the same.
I would echo the ready ref. It is awesome!
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
A Ready Ref may do this for you. You would have to get in contact with them and see if they could modify a unit to buzz at multiple times during the count down.
http://www.ready-ref.com/football_timer.html
I tell you, the Casio watch will do just as much for half the price!
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

But he wants three warnings during the play clock. I'm not sure a Ready Ref can do that. Can the Casio be set to do that? At least with the Ready Ref, they can change the programming at the factory and possibly do that for him. But if the Casio can do that then great.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'll check with the ready ref 'bout the beeping options. I'll also have to check 'bout shipping abroad but for that I may have a few options.
since I'm talking 'bout beach football I guess the blue one would be the best option. But there are nylon sided and whatnot options that I have no idea what they are all about (down here we use a black flag as beam bag).
Also, where do you put your flag? Is there a belt or something for me to get?
What about information cards?
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to put my flag in the front of my pants a little to one side of my belt buckle. I tuck it well in so only the weighted part is above the belt. I don't like a lot of flag showing (some folks even have the yellow weighted part taped so it looks white) as I feel it makes you look too eager to flag stuff. I keep a beanbag in my pants on the other side of my belt buckle.
If I instinctively go for my flag and then decide that the hold I saw was away fom the point of attack and not worth a flag, then it looks like I'm just adjusting my pants or maybe scratching my stomach. If my flag was hanging out of a side or back pocket and I went for it then changed my mind, everyone can see that. I carry a 2nd flag for the unlikely event I see 2 fouls. My second one is always stuffed out of sight in a pocket. I always carry 2 beanbags. You'd be surprised how many punt returns are fumbled, so you need 1 beanbag for the end of the kick (possible PSK enforcement spot) and your 2nd beanbag for the fumble spot.

Information cards - I work games in the UK and we get a lot of rain. I prefer the laminated info cards as they don't turn to papier-mache when they get wet.

Pencils - Try to get hold of the bullet pencil or safety pencil. Most every officiating supplier in the US should have them.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Two Flakes has answered that but I'd like to know where else do you put your flag? And where do you have your beam bags on? And what's the real use of wearing a belt?

What's the difference between single sided, double sided and long neck beam bag?

This might be stupid but how does the chain clip works? And what's the use?

Considering that we play at the beach here (so no shoes necessary) I'm thinking of buying:

- white ball flag
- blue beam bag (pending to know double sided or whatever)
- Info package (wallet, info cards and pencil)
- wrist down indicator

Anything else I should get?