View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to put my flag in the front of my pants a little to one side of my belt buckle. I tuck it well in so only the weighted part is above the belt. I don't like a lot of flag showing (some folks even have the yellow weighted part taped so it looks white) as I feel it makes you look too eager to flag stuff. I keep a beanbag in my pants on the other side of my belt buckle.
If I instinctively go for my flag and then decide that the hold I saw was away fom the point of attack and not worth a flag, then it looks like I'm just adjusting my pants or maybe scratching my stomach. If my flag was hanging out of a side or back pocket and I went for it then changed my mind, everyone can see that. I carry a 2nd flag for the unlikely event I see 2 fouls. My second one is always stuffed out of sight in a pocket. I always carry 2 beanbags. You'd be surprised how many punt returns are fumbled, so you need 1 beanbag for the end of the kick (possible PSK enforcement spot) and your 2nd beanbag for the fumble spot.

Information cards - I work games in the UK and we get a lot of rain. I prefer the laminated info cards as they don't turn to papier-mache when they get wet.

Pencils - Try to get hold of the bullet pencil or safety pencil. Most every officiating supplier in the US should have them.