The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

OK, being the pack rat that I am I found this on my hard drive. It's an html page from the NFHS 2002 interpretations that I saved.

SITUATION 8: Team A comes to the line of scrimmage and is motionless for at least one second. Back, A2 legally goes in motion and stops just prior to the ball being snapped. RULING: No foul. A2 is considered to be in motion at the snap. (7-2-7)

Unfortunately the size of the document exceeds the maximum length. If anyone wants me to e-mail feel free to send me your e-mail address.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
OK, being the pack rat that I am I found this on my hard drive. It's an html page from the NFHS 2002 interpretations that I saved.

SITUATION 8: Team A comes to the line of scrimmage and is motionless for at least one second. Back, A2 legally goes in motion and stops just prior to the ball being snapped. RULING: No foul. A2 is considered to be in motion at the snap. (7-2-7)

Unfortunately the size of the document exceeds the maximum length. If anyone wants me to e-mail feel free to send me your e-mail address.
That doesn't make sense though. If that were true, according to Bob M's article that is on Grant's site that says how players moving from the huddle to the LOS is "motion" there would be no foul if the last of them who went down was not set for one second before the snap. We know that is an IS foul, so why wouldn't this be?
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I just wrote back to Bob M. on this. I simply THINK they're saying that everyone must be set for an entire second before anyone goes in motion. Then, and only then, if ONE player goes in motion and stops for less than a second, then consider him to still be in motion.

Here's two scenarios (from the way I understand it)

Play 1) All players get set for one full second, a player goes in motion, stops, and less than a second later the ball is snapped. Legal from what they posted.

Play 2) All players get set for one full second, a player goes in motion, stops, and less than a second later a second player shifts, stops, and less than a second later the ball is snapped. Illegal from I can see. This would be legal in NCAA.

For all its worth.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I just wrote back to Bob M. on this. I simply THINK they're saying that everyone must be set for an entire second before anyone goes in motion. Then, and only then, if ONE player goes in motion and stops for less than a second, then consider him to still be in motion.

Here's two scenarios (from the way I understand it)

Play 1) All players get set for one full second, a player goes in motion, stops, and less than a second later the ball is snapped. Legal from what they posted.

Play 2) All players get set for one full second, a player goes in motion, stops, and less than a second later a second player shifts, stops, and less than a second later the ball is snapped. Illegal from I can see. This would be legal in NCAA.

For all its worth.
I can see all that being fine. It would be nice to see what Bob says as well. I sent you a private message on it also.