The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I just think that it fits a multiple foul definition and that we will only be able to enforce one. I don't think a player ever thinks about "hey, they can only enforce one foul on the kick off and that was the one we had on the TD, so I am going to get a free shot at someone on this try!"
Even when they get a whole down to think about it?
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Even when they get a whole down to think about it?
REPLY: And it doesn't even have to be intentional to be contrary to the principle. Roughing the kicker on the successful try when the Team K coach doesn't want to take the points off the board, or roughing the passer or a personal foul face mask on a successful two point try. Even though all may be unintentional, they're all 'freebies' the way the new rule is constructed/interpreted.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

I brought this up in our college rules meeting tonight to understand how we do this in NCAA. Consensus was that both could be enforced on the kickoff.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Just reviewed the 2006 case book & the 2007 wording is definitely new. Last years' ruling was enforce on the try for the first foul (during the TD run) and either half the distance or enforce on the KO four the foul on the try. The choice of foul to be enforce is all new. I hope they change this when they issue the annual "mistakes" page.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I brought this up in our college rules meeting tonight to understand how we do this in NCAA. Consensus was that both could be enforced on the kickoff.
That consensus would be correct as well as there is no rule book/AR verbiage that says you cannot (as opposed to the 2007 NFHS case book that says team-A has to choose).

One thing to remember, NCAA only, is that only Personal Fouls are eligible for the carry-over. That means those 5 or 10 yarders will NOT carry-over and are declined "by rule".
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Penalties on the try

If a penalty occurs on the defense during the try, isn't it enforceable only on the try if the scoring team accepts the penalty?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist8Ref
If a penalty occurs on the defense during the try, isn't it enforceable only on the try if the scoring team accepts the penalty?
Depends.
If it were a an unsuccessful TRY, team-A would accept the penalty and replay the TRY.

If it were a successful 1-point TRY, team-A could accept the penalty and go for two points now. Otherwise they can keep the point and by accepting the penalty have it enforced on the free kick.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

And, of course, on a successful two-point try, they may keep the points AND accept the penalty (to be enforced on the kickoff).
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Options

Team can take either penalty on the kickoff, but not both. They must choose, as per the new NFHS rule book.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
That consensus would be correct as well as there is no rule book/AR verbiage that says you cannot (as opposed to the 2007 NFHS case book that says team-A has to choose).

One thing to remember, NCAA only, is that only Personal Fouls are eligible for the carry-over. That means those 5 or 10 yarders will NOT carry-over and are declined "by rule".
Do you have the case play (NF) that supports that team A can't have both fouls enforced on the kickoff? I just got my case book and I can't find anything.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Do you have the case play (NF) that supports that team A can't have both fouls enforced on the kickoff? I just got my case book and I can't find anything.
REPLY: See 10.5.3 Situation B on page 89
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: See 10.5.3 Situation B on page 89
Thanks Bob. Obviously, the rule doesn't state this option, but they must have had to make a case book play to demonstrate their intent on applying the rule in this situation.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I just talked to our state representative and he said the definitely have the choice of WHICH foul they want on the KO, even if they said a 5 yarder on the TD was to be enforced on the KO. This was the way all 48 of them at Indianapolis discussed it, and it will be emphasised that way at our rules meetings. He doesn't know why the Bin and Differences books say otherwise.

Hopefully it will be clarified on the NF website. He said he was going to call Bob Colgate about it.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

At our rules inetrp meeting monday, this was rolled out. We were told that only live ball fouls on B were open to the option of when to asses the foul. It was made very clear that all dead ball fouls (thus a cheap late hit as described earlier) had to be assessed on the try and could not be carried over to the following free kick.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth
At our rules inetrp meeting monday, this was rolled out. We were told that only live ball fouls on B were open to the option of when to asses the foul. It was made very clear that all dead ball fouls (thus a cheap late hit as described earlier) had to be assessed on the try and could not be carried over to the following free kick.
The part about DBF's has been pretty clear all along.
Did they say they still had their choice of which LB foul to enforce on the KO if one foul was on the TD and one was on the try?