The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I just saw on the Pa. Volleyball Coaches Association website (www.pavbca.com)that NFHS has adopted rally scoring. According to the gentleman who posted the info, rally scoring and net serves will be the rule for the 2003-2004 school year.

Another post said that there will be a change in the multiple contact rule to mirror the USAV rules. Anyone else hear about the changes?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Haven't heard of this yet.

Usually, the NFHS will allow various states to "experiment" with new and/or revised rules for a year or so before incorporating it into the book. I can see rally scoring being implemented since it has been around at the NCAA and USAVB levels for a few years. The let serve was only put in last year, I think. I can't see the FED allowing it across the board without an experimental time. It would not be consistant with their past behavior, but then again,you never know quite what to expect from NFHS.

Has anyone checked the NFHS website for this information?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

According to the website it is approved and to be implemented by the state association, but no later than 04-05.

Basically, you may not see it this fall, but by the following season we will.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Haven't heard of this yet.

Usually, the NFHS will allow various states to "experiment" with new and/or revised rules for a year or so before incorporating it into the book.
Rally scoring and the net serve were "experimental" rules with the NFHSA last season. Oregon, and I think some 13 or 14 other states, used the experimental rules.

Apparently the NFHSA has determined that the experiment went sufficiently well that nation-wide adoption is appropriate.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer

Rally scoring and the net serve were "experimental" rules with the NFHSA last season. Oregon, and I think some 13 or 14 other states, used the experimental rules.

Apparently the NFHSA has determined that the experiment went sufficiently well that nation-wide adoption is appropriate.
I stand corrected. I knew that sufficient time had passed to experiment with rally scoring, but I was not aware of any states that were experimenting with the let serve last year.

Question: For those of you that have worked with the let serve, how difficult was the transisiton and holding your whistle on a serve that tipped the net?
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
Quote:
Question: For those of you that have worked with the let serve, how difficult was the transisiton and holding your whistle on a serve that tipped the net?
it hasnt been a problem for me. When I ref matches that dont allow let serves, i dont whistle the ball dead as quickily as possible compared to if i was reffing a basketball game where the fouls have to be whistled quite instantaneous with the foul occurance.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

The transition isn't that bad because you don't have your hand on the net anymore. But you will still probably need to slow down and swallow the whistle.

A bigger issue, however, is you will certainly find yourself double-clutching when players start using finger action on the first ball over.

Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question: For those of you that have worked with the let serve, how difficult was the transisiton and holding your whistle on a serve that tipped the net? [/B]
Not too bad. I had one "quick whistle" early in the season and had to do a replay but no problems after that. The adjustment wasn't rough and by early mid-season it wasn't anything I had to consciously think about at all. None of the other officials reported any big adjustment problems although about everyone except those who'd been working USAV club ball had an "inadvertent whistle" or two early on. Overall, not a significant problem.

I suspect the "finger action" on the serve receive will go about the same way.

Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
It is about DANG time. In Utah last year we tested both the let serve and ralley scoring and it seemed to go well. Most of our girls have really struggled because all spring they get to play club rules and then during the high school season they had to go back to the stone age with the rules. The transition is very easy for those who have not officiated with the let and rally scoring. I did ask our rules interpeter who is on the board for NFHS and she said that they are going to allow the multiple contact as well, so the high schools are finally coming around!
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaman_29
I did ask our rules interpeter who is on the board for NFHS and she said that they are going to allow the multiple contact as well, so the high schools are finally coming around! [/B]
The HS rules have, for several years, allowed "multiple contact" on the first ball over the net (serves included) "provided there is no finger action." As I understand the new rules, all that is being changed is that the "provided there is no finger action" language is being deleted.

'Course the new rule doesn't alter the requirement that there be no "prolonged contact" and that the ball not "visibly come to rest." My concern is that some kids are gonna take the new rules to mean "anything goes" on the serve receive and they're gonna get really sloppy on the serve receive ball handling. We could end up doing a lot of whistling for illegal hits until the young ladies get the message that the change in the multiple contacts rule doesn't authortize throws, carries, lifts, pushes, and other ball handling sins.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

For those of us who do college, usa, and high school, I imagine the change is a welcome one. I certainly appreciate the uniformity. I read today that Maryland and the private schools in the Washington DC area are embracing the new rules immediately. Virginia is scheduled to vote in mid-March.

As for the elimination of ``finger action," I'm not sure the "young ladies" who start receiving hard balls with overhand passes are trying to pull a fast one on us; I think that those who quickly take advantage of the new ball handling standard on first ball over are just bringing their juniors experience to the high school game.

We do need to remain vigilant about "prolonged contact." I would also caution, however, against whistling "sloppy" or other ugly "ball handling sins" unless there is some element of lifting or catching involved.

In any event, be prepared for the gasps and moans from the uninitiated crowd (and even a few coaches)!

By the way, has anybody heard whether NFHS is adopting the college or usa scoring procedure?
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Virginiaref

By the way, has anybody heard whether NFHS is adopting the college or usa scoring procedure?
Best three out of five, rally scoring to 25, win by two, 30 point cap. Fifth game, if necessary, rally scoring to 15, win by two, no cap.

Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

I guess I wasn't clear. I was actually wondering whether the USA or College method of scorekeeping would be used.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Virginiaref
I guess I wasn't clear. I was actually wondering whether the USA or College method of scorekeeping would be used.
I'm not sure I understand. But, SFAIK, the current scorekeeping system and forms will continue to be used but all games will use the present rally scoring system. There will, I assume, be minor changes in the scorebook form to reflect the reduction in allowable timeouts (spaces for only two time outs) and the increase in possible points scored (points lines going to 30 rather 25) and those sorts of details but no other significant alterations as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure scoring will be something very close to what's shown on page 55 of the current 2002-03 rule book. We've been lobbying to use a circle rather than a square to indicate a sideout point but I'm not sure why we think that's worth lobbying about.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I think the better questions is, what mechanics will be used? We did not experiment here, is it the NCAA or USA sequence and signals?