The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rules - PAT after a score when time expires.

NCAA Rules.

Team A are behind 7-12. They score a TD as time expires in the 4th quarter to go ahead 13-12. Are they allowed to take the PAT attempt?

Rule 8-3-2-a states:-
Quote:
The ball shall be put in play by the team that scored a six-point touchdown. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the fourth period expires, the try shall not be attempted unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.
I assume it is the intent of the NCAA Rules Ctte to prevent a despondent Team B (who were, in my example, only seconds away from a 7-12 victory) from having one last chance for some payback at Team A during the PAT? The key phrase is "unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.", how are we meant to interpret this?

I think we would all agree that if the score was 15-12, or 9-12, then the points cannot affect the outcome, and so no PAT is allowed.

I think we would all agree that if the score was 10-12, 11-12, 12-12, then the PAT would be allowed as Team A have a chance to tie or win.

The "grey area" is whether not allowing the PAT when the score is 13-12 or 14-12 is preventing Team B having the (slim) opportunity to tie or win.

Whilst it is unlikely, but possible that an botched PAT might be run back 97yds for 2 points by Team B to win 14-13, I'd guess that every coach in the World would have Team A take-a-knee. Surely it is this possibility of Team B fouling Team A during a take-a-knee play that the Rules Ctte want to remove??

Thoughts please......
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:58am
Chain of Fools

No...Team A has won in regulation time

so there is no need to attempt the try. The same rule holds sway in NFHS also.

You would interpret the "unless it affects the outcome of the game" to be to the advantage of the TD scoring team.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
so there is no need to attempt the try. The same rule holds sway in NFHS also.

You would interpret the "unless it affects the outcome of the game" to be to the advantage of the TD scoring team.
In NF, states can have an exception for playoff points. This is the one Iowa has.

13-POINT TIEBREAKER RULE (8.3.1 EXCEPTION)
If a touchdown is scored during the last down of the fourth period, a try for point shall not be attempted unless
the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game or playoff qualifying. The Iowa rule will be: If the final
score could result in the point differential being 12 points or less, the try will be attempted.
PLAY 1: A-27; B-10. B scores on the last play of the fourth quarter to make the score A-27; B-16.
RULING: The point differential will be 12 points or less. Therefore, the try will be attempted.
PLAY 2: A-7; B-0. A scores on the last play of the fourth period to make the score A-13; B-0.
RULING: The point differential cannot be 12 points or less. Therefore, no try will be attempted.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Was this a 2006 change? The 2005 rulebook says the try is mandatory unless the team behind leaves the field. I've been working 2005 rules for the past 2 years (Texas HS) and don't have a 2006 book.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

From the rule book:

2. A try is an opportunity for either team to score one or two
points while the game clock is stopped and is a special interval in a game
which, for purposes of penalty enforcement only, includes both a down and
the “ready’’ period that precedes it.

a. The ball shall be put in play by the team that scored a six-point
touchdown. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the
fourth period expires, the try shall not be attempted unless the point(s)
would affect the outcome of the game.

I think the key part in bold above "oppurtunity for either team" seems to indicate that both teams are entitled to points so if the game could be decided by a 2 pt. return I think the try must be conducted.. By saying the game is over after the TD and not requiring the try you are taking away the "oppurtunity" that team B is provided in the rules and those points would affect the outcome of the game.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
From the rule book:

2. A try is an opportunity for either team to score one or two
points while the game clock is stopped and is a special interval in a game
which, for purposes of penalty enforcement only, includes both a down and
the “ready’’ period that precedes it.

a. The ball shall be put in play by the team that scored a six-point
touchdown. If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the
fourth period expires, the try shall not be attempted unless the point(s)
would affect the outcome of the game.

I think the key part in bold above "oppurtunity for either team" seems to indicate that both teams are entitled to points so if the game could be decided by a 2 pt. return I think the try must be conducted.. By saying the game is over after the TD and not requiring the try you are taking away the "oppurtunity" that team B is provided in the rules and those points would affect the outcome of the game.
Those were my thoughts but I am still in the process of learning NCAA rules. Since B can score on a PAT, I say you give them the opportunity. If A is smart, they would just down the ball and get off the field.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/pla...PreviewState=0

This has been bugging me for several days, so I thought I'd see if the NCAA had already made a ruling and found a Rules Bulletin (link above). Play #11 seems to cover it.

I was wrong, the PAT should be run.

With_Two_Flakes
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes
http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/pla...PreviewState=0

This has been bugging me for several days, so I thought I'd see if the NCAA had already made a ruling and found a Rules Bulletin (link above). Play #11 seems to cover it.

I was wrong, the PAT should be run.

With_Two_Flakes
Good find.

I don't have my NFHS books handy; anyone know how this would be covered in a high school game?
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Good find.

I don't have my NFHS books handy; anyone know how this would be covered in a high school game?
Game over. Once B gains possession the ball becomes dead on a try.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Mark...For NFHS, since B can't score under any circumstances (Oregon experiment notwithstanding), the game will end--unless the potential points that A would get on the try will affect playoff qualification/seeding.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes
NCAA Rules.

Team A are behind 7-12. They score a TD as time expires in the 4th quarter to go ahead 13-12. Are they allowed to take the PAT attempt?

Rule 8-3-2-a states:-

I assume it is the intent of the NCAA Rules Ctte to prevent a despondent Team B (who were, in my example, only seconds away from a 7-12 victory) from having one last chance for some payback at Team A during the PAT? The key phrase is "unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.", how are we meant to interpret this?

I think we would all agree that if the score was 15-12, or 9-12, then the points cannot affect the outcome, and so no PAT is allowed.

I think we would all agree that if the score was 10-12, 11-12, 12-12, then the PAT would be allowed as Team A have a chance to tie or win.

The "grey area" is whether not allowing the PAT when the score is 13-12 or 14-12 is preventing Team B having the (slim) opportunity to tie or win.

Whilst it is unlikely, but possible that an botched PAT might be run back 97yds for 2 points by Team B to win 14-13, I'd guess that every coach in the World would have Team A take-a-knee. Surely it is this possibility of Team B fouling Team A during a take-a-knee play that the Rules Ctte want to remove??

Thoughts please......
I don't know US rules (I'm Canadian), but if B can score on a convert attempt, you must allow the convert to happen!
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Mark...For NFHS, since B can't score under any circumstances (Oregon experiment notwithstanding), the game will end--unless the potential points that A would get on the try will affect playoff qualification/seeding.
Good call - it's been too long since I've done real football.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
This situation actually happened a couple of years ago when OU lost to Texas Tech on the instant replay bonanza. Tech scored (not really but for the sake of the argument) to make the score 24-23 (I think). Everybody thought the game was over as there was no time on the clock. The officials made Tech try the attempt, which they complied with by taking a knee, but the play could have resulted in OU scoring the winning points so the try had to be attempted.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Well if it were a couple years ago(2005 and earlier) the TRY was mandatory "unless the team behind in the score leaves the field".

That's what really happened. TTech was required to do attempt the try as OSU didn't leave the field.

In 2006, the rule was changed. Here's what it says now. "the try shall not be attempted unless the points(s) would affect the outcome of the game."

Big difference if the game is out of reach.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

TTech was required to do attempt the try as OSU didn't leave the field.

B/S post indicated it was OU/TT. By mistakenly adding the S, you are giving soonerites too much credit. You see, they can only handle TWO letters not three!