The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

It clearly states in FED 5-6 that a quarter ends when the signal sounds. However, if time expires and the horn mechanism for whatever reason is behind by a significant amount, can the officials end the quarter if they have definite knowledge that the time has expired? I brought this up in an association meeting once and the interpreter said that the officials can end the period if they are sure time has expired. What do you all think? I usually like to follow the rule book, but if time has expired and 10 seconds later the horn still has not sounded, I have a hard time continuing play.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 11:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Well this situation is covered directly in the Rulebook and Casebook. To me that is the best way to handle this situation, because there is a clear remedy for what takes place. The only way you should not end a quarter is if you do not have definite knowledge. I really do not believe you will get a debate on this one. But I have been wrong before.

Peace
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpeterson_1
It clearly states in FED 5-6 that a quarter ends when the signal sounds. However, if time expires and the horn mechanism for whatever reason is behind by a significant amount, can the officials end the quarter if they have definite knowledge that the time has expired? I brought this up in an association meeting once and the interpreter said that the officials can end the period if they are sure time has expired. What do you all think? I usually like to follow the rule book, but if time has expired and 10 seconds later the horn still has not sounded, I have a hard time continuing play.
In such a case, the horn is obviously not working properly. Yes, you should end the quarter.

In a situation where the clock is stop be the timer, it displays 0:00, time has not expire. The ball should be put in play and when the clock starts, the horn should sound almost immediately. That's really what 5-6 is really addressing.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

I once was in a state-quarter (playin', not reffin') with the clock broken in the first quarter. Couldn't hear any whistles, so the back-up was a knotted white towel thrown onto the floor. It worked ...sorta.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I once was in a state-quarter (playin', not reffin') with the clock broken in the first quarter. Couldn't hear any whistles, so the back-up was a knotted white towel thrown onto the floor. It worked ...sorta.
Was that back when you will still using peach baskets?
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
They had nets then. ...and hot pants and knee socks.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And Converse All-Stars, and Pumas!
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 01:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Converse All-stars - canvas, white high-tops.
A roll of tape on each ankle.
School bought us two pair per season.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We wore "daisy dukes" and canvas cons.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

In a situation where the clock is stop be the timer, it displays 0:00, time has not expire. The ball should be put in play and when the clock starts, the horn should sound almost immediately. That's really what 5-6 is really addressing.
This is exactly what happened in the 4A girls regional final here this past season. White is down one with the ball as time is running out. A foul was called while a player was in the act of shooting, the timer stopped the clock and despite showing all zeros no horn sounded. The clock in this gym does NOT display tenths of a second.
Sadly, the three officials botched it. Two of them came together and discussed the play, confirmed that neither heard a horn, and decided to shoot the two free throws with the lane cleared. The third official, the only female in the crew, had no part in the play or discussion at all.
The girl made the first, missed the second, and the game eventually was decided in double OT.
I was disappointed to see that the officials selected for the regional final didn't know the rule.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref,

If I understand what you're saying, you disagree with Rut? You're saying the officials should have called the game over? What are we saying here? Is the period over if the officials have knowledge, or are we going with the horn?
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevadaref,

If I understand what you're saying, you disagree with Rut? You're saying the officials should have called the game over? What are we saying here? Is the period over if the officials have knowledge, or are we going with the horn?
No, that's not what he's saying. He saying that the FTs should have been shot WITH PLAYERS ON THE LANE, not with a clear lane.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

2 pair of sneakers, tape...or ankles?
Old Tue May 27, 2003, 04:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

2 pair of sneakers, tape...or ankles?
Yes.
Old Tue May 27, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevadaref,

There has been no disagreement in response to your situation, excluding Rut since I have no idea what he means, can't follow the double negatives. The solution is to go with the horn, but there can only be 9 tenths of a sec. remaining at the most, so if it clearly goes more than a second you should declare the quarter over. You should not just keep playing for five-ten seconds, just because the horn is not sounding.