The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can you please point out where in this or the one other thread you referenced that said anything about a loss being the officials' fault?
JR: did your most recent post attempt to answer this question?

If so, it didn't. Can you please try again?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Can you please point out where in this or the one other thread you referenced that said anything about a loss being the officials' fault?
Backcourt Violation - Mavs Heat

See the post from June 22, 2006 @ 3:01pm.

"Yes I'm from Dallas and I'm a Maverick fan".

"But this series was just bad. Your defense of these very one-sided mistakes is simply either blind obedience or just stupid stubborness. Refusal to recognize what are obviously bad calls doesn't help anyone"

"Surely at a minimum, you "experts" in the field can at least recognize that in this particular case, the inevitable mistakes did happen to go the Heat's way more than it's FAIR SHARE".

"Bad"? "Very one-sided mistakes"? "Obviously bad calls"? "Go the Heat's way more than it's fair share"? And all this is from a guy that's supposed to be a devoted football and baseball umpire but admits that he has never officiated a basketball game in his life and doesn't know the rules.

I can track some more down if you want. I can also dig up some quotes from some other Dallas fanboys too.

If you fanboys want to crap on the officials, hey, be my guest. Just don't intimate that you've got more credibility because you happen to officiate a sport. You don't. You're fanboys first and officials second.

That's my point, like it or not.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Backcourt Violation - Mavs Heat

See the post from June 22, 2006 @ 3:01pm.

"Yes I'm from Dallas and I'm a Maverick fan".

"But this series was just bad. Your defense of these very one-sided mistakes is simply either blind obedience or just stupid stubborness. Refusal to recognize what are obviously bad calls doesn't help anyone"

"Surely at a minimum, you "experts" in the field can at least recognize that in this particular case, the inevitable mistakes did happen to go the Heat's way more than it's FAIR SHARE".

"Bad"? "Very one-sided mistakes"? "Obviously bad calls"? "Go the Heat's way more than it's fair share"? And all this is from a guy that's supposed to be a devoted football and baseball umpire but admits that he has never officiated a basketball game in his life and doesn't know the rules.

I can track some more down if you want. I can also dig up some quotes from some other Dallas fanboys too.

If you fanboys want to crap on the officials, hey, be my guest. Just don't intimate that you've got more credibility because you happen to officiate a sport. You don't. You're fanboys first and officials second.

That's my point, like it or not.
You're an idiot. Other nouns come to mind as well, but are not fit for this forum. Adjectives do as well - I'll leave them to your imagination.

THIS post was intended to try to get an unbiased opinion on a play that bothered me - from a fan's point of view. I completely admitted that I was likely biased, and in fact it was that bias that led me to try to get an impartial viewpoint from folks I respect (a group that most pointedly does not include you).

In the basketball posts, again, I fully admit that not only was I a biased fan WRT that particular game, but also that I was not an official of that sport, and was wanting to discuss what I saw as an injustice with people who I admit probably knew better than I. But even in that thread (where I did and still do feel like (intent or not --- probably not) the bulk of the questionable calls went in one direction), I never stated (or felt, or thought) that the "refs cost us the game." The Mavs lost that series because they got cocky and complacent. Period. But if you could watch that particular series objectively (you can't... for some reason, the fact that you are an official in 3 sports leads you to believe that no official anywhere ever makes a mistake), then you should be able to admit that the documented mistaken calls DID, in fact, go more against one team than the other. It's unfortunate, but it happens. The statement you quote above was in rebuttal to one of your many absurd posts saying that anyone who ever had the temerity to even mildly disagree with even a single call was a blind fool.

I tire of your idiocy. You spread it across 3 boards. At least you're consistent - you are a moron on all 3. Always have been. You contribute nothing. You never post anything constructive. You're sole purpose seems to be starting fights. Now I finally find a use for the ignore feature if I can get it working. I'm done with you.

Anyone wishing to contribute to the discussion, please do so. I asked an honest question. Until JR derailed the discussion (as per usual), I got honest answers from people whose opinions I've come to respect, and I thank you all for that.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
You're an idiot.
I might be an idiot, but I'm an idiot with some integrity.

'Nuff said, fanboy.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 03:18pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I might be an idiot, but I'm an idiot with some integrity.

'Nuff said, fanboy.
Careful with that integrity stuff...mcrowder - aren't you the same one who jumped all over a HS football coach earlier this fall on this same discussion board? I seem to remeber that the coach asked whether a play was legal or not, found out it wasn't and said it would not be used and you felt the need to to insult that coach and tell him he had no integrity...hmmm - yet you think NBA officials purposely made calls that favored Miami. And you think the best football officials in the country screwed up and that let Seattle win. Guess I'd rather be an idiot of JR's caliber than yours...
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Back to the play in question.

www.nfl.com/video

Mike Pereira says the officials got it right.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
But even in that thread (where I did and still do feel like (intent or not --- probably not) the bulk of the questionable calls went in one direction),

then you should be able to admit that the documented mistaken calls DID, in fact, go more against one team than the other.

Are you ever going to let it go, fanboy? Seven months later and it's still the official's fault?

Rockyroad, the above tells you all that you need to know about his own integrity. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over anything he says. Consider the source.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
And you think the best football officials in the country screwed up and that let Seattle win.
It must have been a "make-up" call for screwing Seattle over in the last Super Bowl, right?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 06:38pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
It must have been a "make-up" call for screwing Seattle over in the last Super Bowl, right?
Seattle screwed themselves in that last Super Bowl...
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Bad"? "Very one-sided mistakes"? "Obviously bad calls"? "Go the Heat's way more than it's fair share"?
While I think one can obviously disagree with those statements from either an unbiased (officials; supposedly) or biased (fan/Heat fan) perspective, it still doesn't doesn't rise to the level of the "loss being the officials' fault."

There's a lot of reasons why the Mavs lost. None of the reasons include being the "officials' fault," but that doesn't mean there weren't problems with the officiating in the finals. Most or virtually all of that can be attributed to the NBA and not the officials themselves, but criticizing the officiating doesn't make one a "fanboy." Calling him such, without dealing with his points specifically, makes you, JR, look foolish. You'd rather, it appears, deal with ad hominem than the points at hand. And contrary to your assertion, integrity has nothing to do with any of it.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
None of the reasons include being the "officials' fault," but that doesn't mean there weren't problems with the officiating in the finals. Most or virtually all of that can be attributed to the NBA and not the officials themselves, but criticizing the officiating doesn't make one a "fanboy."
You and mcrowder are two of a kind, TEX. Blame the officials when your team loses. Fanboys first.

Please don't mention integrity. You two and integrity don't dwell in the same neighborhood.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 04:48am.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Careful with that integrity stuff...mcrowder - aren't you the same one who jumped all over a HS football coach earlier this fall on this same discussion board? I seem to remeber that the coach asked whether a play was legal or not, found out it wasn't and said it would not be used and you felt the need to to insult that coach and tell him he had no integrity...hmmm - yet you think NBA officials purposely made calls that favored Miami. And you think the best football officials in the country screwed up and that let Seattle win. Guess I'd rather be an idiot of JR's caliber than yours...
Yes, careful with that integrity stuff, rocky.

You might have to regurgitate quotes for us if I said something that contradicts this ... but if memory serves, I did jump all over a coach for saying that he DID run a play that we summarily told him was not legal. I believe (again ... if memory serves) that there was some confusion in that he said "We run this play ..." and then later said, "I never said we actually RAN the play". Anyway, I had a problem with him saying he ran a play that was not just illegal, but was likely created from an unethical frame of mind.

But what does that have to do with MY integrity?

And no ... I never said I believe there was any INTENT on the part of the officials to throw the game from the Mavericks. No thought along those lines even popped into my little brain. I was not trying to claim they intentionally cheated. I was trying to say that it seemed rather obvious that there were a fair share of really bad calls, and that of those ACTUAL CALLS, the preponderence of the bad ones seemed to go against the Mavs. Again - the difference being that I was not (am still not) saying the referees did that on purpose - just that it turned out that way. There were people on there (JR, for one) who had their blinders on or simply chose to be obtuse, and refused to admit that there were any missed calls ... much less that those missed calls seemed to hurt the Mavs more than the Heat.

I am pretty comfortable saying that by and large the overwhelming majority of officials do the best jobs they can, call what they see, and have no bias. And that percentage escalates as you get into the higher ranks. There ARE exceptions (for example, even though I'm a Texas fan, and hate the Sooners, I still actually believe that there was an inherent bias in place in the OU-OU replay booth, and I truly have a problem with the PROCESS that puts such possibilities in place), but they are rare.

THIS thread was supposed to be about the Terry Glenn "fumble". Being the token official in my office, I was bombarded by Cowboy fan coworkers wondering why there was no real discussion of whether he caught the ball or not ... which is why I asked you guys here what you saw. If that somehow shows a lack of integrity on my part, I guess I'll have to go study the dictionary some more, as I clearly don't understand the definition of the word.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I was trying to say that it seemed rather obvious that there were a fair share of really bad calls, and that of those ACTUAL CALLS, the preponderence of the bad ones seemed to go against the Mavs.

....those missed calls seemed to hurt the Mavs more than the Heat.

If that somehow shows a lack of integrity on my part, I guess I'll have to go study the dictionary some more, as I clearly don't understand the definition of the word.
http://www.dictionary.com/

Personally, I don't think that it's gonna help you, but give it a try.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:12am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Yes, careful with that integrity stuff, rocky.

You might have to regurgitate quotes for us if I said something that contradicts this ... but if memory serves, I did jump all over a coach for saying that he DID run a play that we summarily told him was not legal. I believe (again ... if memory serves) that there was some confusion in that he said "We run this play ..." and then later said, "I never said we actually RAN the play". Anyway, I had a problem with him saying he ran a play that was not just illegal, but was likely created from an unethical frame of mind.

But what does that have to do with MY integrity?

And as was pointed out in that long ago thread, teams "RUN" plays in practice, no? Isn't that what happens? Coach tells offense to line up and "RUN" play such-and-such...part of integrity (adherence to a code of especially moral values) is realizing when one makes a mistake and admitting that - you chose then and in other threads to blast away at people you don't even know...and when that blasting turns toward other officials, you are surprised when someone calls you on it...