The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be moving to Dallas this summer, and am interested in getting some information on local associations.

Thanks in advance,
JB
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
http://www.ntboa.org is the North Texas Chapter. It is North Dallas and other cities north of Dallas. There is also a Dallas chapter, a Ft.Worth chapter, and several smaller chapters. The smaller ones I know of are in Carrollton, Kaufman, and Commerce.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Dave. Is 3-whistle the exception or the rule in Texas?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty much the exception, though certain school districts are using it for both boys and girls varsity games.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Still plenty of 2-man, but more are going to 3-man each year.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Dallas Chapter web site http://www.dallasref.com

Ft. Worth Chapter wed site http:///www.fwboa.com

In the Ft. Worth area, more districts are going to 3 whistles for varisty but that is still the exception.

If you do not know, in Texas we have divisions (5) that officials fall into based on years of service, test scores, etc. I strongly suggest you get documentation for the games you have worked, camps and rules clinics you have attended, etc. so you can give it to the chapter. No need to uncessecarily start out in Division 5.

You get 1 point for each game at sub varsity, 2 pts. for varsity, 25 points for attending the state meeting, etc. (max of 100 pts a year - split 50/50 between education and game experience)

Div. 5 = 0-74 pts.
Div. 4 = 75-299 pts.
Div. 3 = 300-749 pts.
Div. 2 = 750-1499 pts.
Div. 1 = 1500+ pts.

For all practicle purposes, you will work mostly sub-varsity until you get to Div. 3 (possibly upper Div. 3) and no play-off assignment until you are well into Div. 2.

They also use officials from neutral chapters for playoffs. So if you are a member in Ft. Worth...you probably will get playoff games in west Texas (4-5 hour drive)...which means a full day off work to meet the rest of the crew and drive to the game. We even had officials from our chapter call a game between two Texas schools (one in El Paso area, the other from the Panhandle) and the game was played in New Mexico.

Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of Dallas

I ref'd in Dallas for 2 seasons quite a few years ago. Stopped because of job demainds - but job makes it possible to start again.

I have no problem with starting over (jr high, frosh) and working my way back to the occasional JV (which is where I was at the time I stopped).

Does the Dallas BB officials group have a continuing need for refs (with a bit of experience)or is it 'experienced only' now?

Thanks. I've been lurking at this site for a while but don't have a lot to add (yet).

Peace
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Does the Dallas BB officials group have a continuing need for refs (with a bit of experience)or is it 'experienced only' now?

I think there is always a need for officials.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

For those in the FW Chapter...

I'm at TCU right now and I worked 20-25 Middle school and Jr. High games outside of the chapter. I had some help with training, but have never attended a formal camp or clinic. I'm looking to enroll in the chapter for next season, what's the best time to get in touch with them so I can attend any camps they run?

Also, are there some YOUNG guys in the chapter?

edit: hehe oops
Sent you an e-mail.

[Edited by Drizzle on Feb 23rd, 2006 at 04:58 PM]
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzle
For those in the FW Chapter...

I'm at TCU right now and I worked 20-25 Middle school and Jr. High games outside of the chapter. I had some help with training, but have never attended a formal camp or clinic. I'm looking to enroll in the chapter for next season, what's the best time to get in touch with them so I can attend any camps they run?

Also, are there some of guys in the chapter?
I tried to send you an email...but it wouldn't let me. I am a member of the FW chapter. Unfortunately, the games you worked outside the chapter will not count from a points perspective. Send me an email and I can answer some of your questions and/or put you in touch with someone.

And yes..."there are some guys in the chapter" I think you meant to ask if some on this board are members...I think there are three.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info, Larry. I'll start getting my documentation lined up. Looks like I'll be on the 2-side of a Level 3. Do all UIL play-off games use 3-whistle, or just those at the regional level and beyond?

jb
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

There are playoff games that are using only 2 officials, mostly 1st through 3rd rounds. Most boys games are using 3.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Speaking of Dallas

Quote:
Originally posted by DallasVW

I'm in the Dallas chapter. From what I hear and observe (this is my second year in the chapter), they have, in the past, had trouble retaining officials and have become rather top heavy. There are always plenty of sub-varsity assignments to go around and them some (I know some guys who worked 100+ games). Since there are so many officials who are qualified (or who feel their qualified) to work at the varsity level it is hard to break into the varsity level. They are trying to change that but there are only so many varsity games. This is one of the reason they're really pushing three-person crews. Most schools (beside Garland ISD) haven't switched over yet (save for some big 5A district games at the end of the year).