The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Proper Timeout Signal

I noticed in the Cincinnati v Connecticut game last Saturday the white hat used signal 3, followed by pointing to the team being charged a timeout, to indicate a charged timeout. Until now in high school and college I had only seen the signal using two arms pointing to indicate who is being charged a timeout.

In looking at the signal chart you will not see the two arm variety pictured, even though that is what is commonly used. I think the use of signal 3 looks better. What signal does everyone use? Which is correct?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Until the CCA manual started being published by Referee Enterprises, the signal to point in the direction of the team calling the timeout three times was always part of the verbal description in the timeout procedure.
We still use S3 to stop the clock, and the three chucks to indicate which team. I suppose there really should be a S3a, but I guess they consider this a supplementary signal.

Now the CCA manuals actually show this signal in a picture, (PlayPic).

That's the way I recall it being done at the dii-iii level for years and the way we have been doing so at the NFHS level.

A signal I remember being deleted was the three steam whistle tugs when a team used it's last TO. Not sure when that occurred, but we don't use it any more.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have one, but the bit about the steam whistle is still in the 5 book. Reason I'm told is because 6 and 7 referees usually have a microphone, so they can't announce it's the last. The chuck the hands is in signal cahrt as well as the procedure in time out section of book
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Haven't seen a 5-man in a number of years, but I'll take your word that it still listed in that manual.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Page 46 of the Official's Manual gives the time-out procedure for 4-man while page 80 gives the procedures for 5-man. Both say to first signal time-out and then indicate three times with both arms in a horizontal motion as to which team called the time-out.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure in RickKY's state, they use there own officials manual. Otherwise Warren has the reference for what those using standard NF mechanics should be doing.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Theisey, you are correct about KY using their own manual. We have a "1st & 10" Manual which was written by our state football commissioner and several officials. It is close to the NF version with areas they saw fit to change. It is due for a version update as several mechanics have changed for use since 2001. We have experimented with changes and adopted some of them.

However, for charged timeouts this manual simply says the referee signals timeout. It does not say which signal to use. I think every official I know uses the 2 arms signal, pointing both toward the team being charged.

As I said above though, this signal is not in the chart of signals published by the NF. I think I prefer the signal 3 and point version as I saw in the Cincy/UConn game.